Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires Tires Tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
TOOF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Does anyone run ATV tires on their baja bug? Im looking for some fun dirt tires for there 14" aluminum mag wheels I have.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

anybody know a place to get cheap 7.00-15s for up front
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Cheap or inexpensive?

While looking to answer your question, I found these:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1B/700x15-6-ply-ch...05045921:s

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Cheap or inexpensive?

While looking to answer your question, I found these:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1B/700x15-6-ply-ch...05045921:s

Those might be a little heavy and i think i kinda answered my question with this
anybody used these
https://simpletire.com/jetzon-7.0015lt-aud36-tires...oCGMvw_wcB
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Those look interesting. Ive always wante the Yokohama brand ones, but id like to see how those play out.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

The tires LOOK good and should be quite stout. The price is good. It would be better for a Baja Bug or buggy if the tires were 4ply load range B or 6 ply Load range C. 8 or 10 ply rated tires are going to be quite stiff, which will reduce traction. They'll be strong though.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Any opinion on these implement tires?

https://simpletire.com/bkt-5.0015-94020546-tires?s...AlJi8P8HAQ

They look cool and have a great price. I am concerned about the 6 ply. How would these compare to 700x15?

TF-8181 F-2 Front Tractor

Thanks
HikFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

^As far as I can tell the 5.00-15 tires are about 25" in diameter and 7.00-15 are about 30".

I am also in the market for a couple of front tires. I am running Yokohama Y720 now. The tires were pretty worn when I got them, but I found them to be a bit stiff and not turn all that well but, super durable. I would get the shaved verity but five hundo for a pair, ouch

The Mickey Thompson Baja Pro or Mini Mag seem to be an awesome alternative. America Tire says these are also class C.

Looking around I did find a 4-rib alternative link below. They are about the same size as the Mini Mags (E-78x15) 27" tall vs (6.40-15) 26.9" tall
Anybody run these in the rocks?

Still undecided

http://www.millertire.com/products/dune-buggy-tire...ent-4-ply/
96bmw318ti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using dirt bike tires on the front of a rail? I have 165 r15's that came on it right now and i want to run something with alot more tread for the dirt and gravel.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Any opinion on these implement tires?

https://simpletire.com/bkt-5.0015-94020546-tires?s...AlJi8P8HAQ

They look cool and have a great price. I am concerned about the 6 ply. How would these compare to 700x15?

TF-8181 F-2 Front Tractor

Thanks

My dad and younger brothers have a dozen antique tractors that run that exact tire. As a tractor front tire they perform as needed...no buggy experience with them though.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am getting ready to prep my fiberglass buggy for the '18 NORRA race and was looking at these Yoko's and wondered if there is any feedback on them. I cannot find much searching Google about them. I will run them on Method 7 inch bead lock wheels. Wondering how they do in the desert and rocks of the Baja. But also interested in how they do on the highway. I will be driving the buggy across the US to the race.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/yokohama-y829-super-digger-iii-tire-33-x-1050-15-tubeless.html

I will run the 7.00 X 15 front Yoko style bias that I am going to shave the edges for weight reduction and a more rounded pattern.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Hey guys, I am getting ready to prep my fiberglass buggy for the '18 NORRA race and was looking at these Yoko's and wondered if there is any feedback on them. I cannot find much searching Google about them. I will run them on Method 7 inch bead lock wheels. Wondering how they do in the desert and rocks of the Baja. But also interested in how they do on the highway. I will be driving the buggy across the US to the race.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/yokohama-y829-super-digger-iii-tire-33-x-1050-15-tubeless.html

I will run the 7.00 X 15 front Yoko style bias that I am going to shave the edges for weight reduction and a more rounded pattern.

I run the super diggers on all 4 corners and love em. light weight for a buggy but tall enough to gain some ground clearance. We have 3 cars running them on my team and have had 0 flats in almost 2 seasons racing on them. They do not measure a true 33" though, more like a 32" when mounted. I'm running mine on 4" wide wheels, non bead lock. We run between 15-18psi to keep from getting flats.

If it was me, and you have the width to clear them up front, and the big enough parts to run them, I'd do them all 4 corners so then you don't have to have 2 different size spares in your chase trucks.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

JWHracing wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

I run the super diggers on all 4 corners and love em. light weight for a buggy but tall enough to gain some ground clearance. We have 3 cars running them on my team and have had 0 flats in almost 2 seasons racing on them. They do not measure a true 33" though, more like a 32" when mounted. I'm running mine on 4" wide wheels, non bead lock. We run between 15-18psi to keep from getting flats.

If it was me, and you have the width to clear them up front, and the big enough parts to run them, I'd do them all 4 corners so then you don't have to have 2 different size spares in your chase trucks.

Thank you so much for that input!

Have you ran them much on the Asphalt? I will need to run them 2700 miles to get to So Cal for the race next April.

Also, about how much does you Baja weigh? I am shooting to be below 2000 pounds without Driver/Nav. Weight does make a difference on tire pressure.

I do not have the upward travel clearance to run the 32 inch tire. They will hit my fenders.

Here is the buggy in Juneau Alaska. You can see the travel I have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
JWHracing wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Thank you so much for that input!

Have you ran them much on the Asphalt? I will need to run them 2700 miles to get to So Cal for the race next April.

Also, about how much does you Baja weigh? I am shooting to be below 2000 pounds without Driver/Nav. Weight does make a difference on tire pressure.

I do not have the upward travel clearance to run the 32 inch tire. They will hit my fenders.

Here is the buggy in Juneau Alaska. You can see the travel I have.

I drive them on the street occasionally but no more than maybe 50 miles or so at a time on the weekends. My car goes on a trailer to go out and play most of the time. They are a much softer compound than a traditional tire. My car is at least 2500 lbs if not more fully race ready.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

i found these tires im thinking of getting their super affordable and have decent reviews. im gonna get 30 10 15 for the rear and 36 9 14 for the front what do you guys think? before i purchase thanks oh it will be going on a ecotec powered short back they have a poor rating for sand but i cant see them being bad i ride sand mostly. http://www.sedonatires.com/product/mud-rebel-rt
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

VagNaToOtH wrote:
i found these tires im thinking of getting their super affordable and have decent reviews. im gonna get 30 10 15 for the rear and 36 9 14 for the front what do you guys think? before i purchase thanks oh it will be going on a ecotec powered short back they have a poor rating for sand but i cant see them being bad i ride sand mostly. http://www.sedonatires.com/product/mud-rebel-rt
j
Those look like they will have great traction, maybe bust a transmission traction. Look like they would be ptrtty decent in the sand. Also looks like it would wear fast.
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
VagNaToOtH wrote:
j
Those look like they will have great traction, maybe bust a transmission traction. Look like they would be ptrtty decent in the sand. Also looks like it would wear fast.
i see guys running super swamper tsl and boggers other guys running paddles u think these would have more traction ? also i am using a 6 rib ty
VagNaToOtH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

whats your opinion on these ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-30-10-15-RAGE-THUNDE...1357214307
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

These tires were posted earlier.

Such tire treads are good on a car where the traction is slippery and soft and loose, such as deep sand, like dunes, or deep slippery mud. But anywhere there are rocks, many types of gravel, or gravel/dirt combination, solid soil, pavement, hardpack, or grabby mud, mud with a bottom, or loam that will pack...All these spell big danger for gearboxes and other drivetrain components.

That's why lots of old school VW offroaders like relatively smooth tread tires. The Yokohama linked by JoesCoolCustoms are VERY popular for offroad desert racers. Also good for gravel, rocky trails, forest, etc.

The cost of beefing up a VW gearbox gets to $4000 REAL QUICK. A stouter Mendeola or Weddle gearbox costs more like $8-9K. And many offroad racers spend upwards of $25K on a gearbox.

That why knobby UTV tires like those at the beginning of this post are not so popular on VW offroaders.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Just got some new rear tires today. BF Goodrich K02. 30 x9.5 they measure out the same height 29" as my front Yokohama's 742s. This size works great with my 4.37 gearing and 2051 engine. My 65 -75mph freeway cruising has me in the mid 3000's rpms range, with good power still and I can crawl a little. My last bf 's had about 25k miles and probably had several thousand left before they would have been completely worn out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: