Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires Tires Tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Yoko Super Diggers rear with tubes and shaved 7.00x15 on front with tubes.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Just installed my Interco tires Super Swamper TSL last month. Even though they are a bit PITA to get balanced, I can say that these tires are very hard to beat offroad.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

For deep mud with no other obstacles, Swampers are great. In soft sand they tend to dig deep and fast to bury your car. For rocky trails, forests, etc. they are mortal danger to gears and other driveline parts. They can provide TOO GOOD traction.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeyWatchThis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I have a stock 1968 swing axle transmission, and a 1970's dual port motor (I was told 88mm pistons were installed, but haven't verified yet). At some point I'd like to rebuild it or replace it with a 1776 or 1835cc. I'm thinking that will end up being a swap-- I'd like to find a bus transmission or at least build up a transmission to put in at the same time as the new engine.

Anyway, I'm currently running (what the guy I bought it from had on it) 215/75r15 trailer tires up front, and 235/75/r15 Hercules all terrains with a pretty nasty gouge in the side-wall in the back.

I'm looking at replacing the tires with General Grabber AT2's all around. I'm going to keep the fronts the same size, but I was wondering how big I can go with the rear tires before I'll start having transmission issues.

I've measured it and I can get away with a 31x10.5, but that's as big as I can go without having to seriously modify fenders (and may still require some trimming). I was thinking a 30x9.5 would fit well, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be over-working the transmission.

It is a street legal rig, but I try to avoid interestates and keep it under 65mph, usually cruise at 50-55 to get to where I go off-roading.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

What would you all recommend for rear tires to play at an old lime stone quarry?
bigtim9339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

hey all, im having a real hard time here and could use some help.

im rebuilding a dune buggy and need tires but I am completely out of my element on this one. ive spent hours trying to figure this crap out to no avail.

so in a nut shell ive got 15"x10" rear wheels and 15"x5" in the front.
the front of my vehicle has got 2.5' drop spindles and the rear is factory height

i have absolutley no clue on what tire size to purchase and the local tire store guy tried to sell me monster truck tires for my "DOOM Buggy" so i left

the tires that were on it when i got it ran about 25"tall

pictured is the car im rebuilding

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Do you want the same size tires?

Do you want something different? If so what do you want different?

The rear wheels shown on the buggy look like about 15x6. Do you have a different set of wheels that you plan to use?

How do you plan to use the buggy? Hard offroad in the desert and mountains? Sand dunes? Dual purpose street and offroad. Mud whomping? Rock crawling? Car shows? Cruising? Drag racing?

If you are going to only use the buggy on the street and you want street type tires, you might get better answers asking in the fiberglass buggy/kit car forum.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigtim9339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

The pictur posted is prior to the rebuild. Which is part of the problem. The body is off the chassis and the chassis is completely stripped down. The wheels your looking at are destined for the dump.

I have 15x10 for the rear and 15x5 on the front. Looking to put a all terrain tire that I can run on the asphalt with mostly.
bigtim9339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Do you want the same size tires?

Do you want something different? If so what do you want different?

The rear wheels shown on the buggy look like about 15x6. Do you have a different set of wheels that you plan to use?

How do you plan to use the buggy? Hard offroad in the desert and mountains? Sand dunes? Dual purpose street and offroad. Mud whomping? Rock crawling? Car shows? Cruising? Drag racing?

If you are going to only use the buggy on the street and you want street type tires, you might get better answers asking in the fiberglass buggy/kit car forum.

Thanks for the response. I did not see the other forum that you pointed out. Went there and found all the answers I needed and then some. Thanks again for taking the time
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

30x9.5 bfg muds on the back, Yokohama 7.0x15 y720 on the front.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GhiaBateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

oh boy!! I have been "hiding" for awhile... seems there are a ton of Broken Links to take care of... gimme a few days and I will get it fixed up...
Bakerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

i. Federal Couragia mud tires from Walmart .com $97 each hard to beat in the greasy stuff
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

What I find is this:

Seems about 2X the price you quoted above.
Confused
SoCalBajas Member
Bakerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

235/75/15 $97 each just got them and put them on yesterday. You have the 33 in pulled up, but if you look at the top pic in your post it is there.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

OK. I went to the one you had selected in your post and you were talking about the one above. You had not indicated size either. Thus the confusion.

I encountered some very cool front Baja/buggy tires a while back. They were being used on a Class 9 race car that my son rode in to a 2nd place for a SNORE race at Ridgecrest this Spring. I liked the tires and they seemed to work well. No flats or other troubles. Came in looking near new after the finish.

It's the Tornel 1700 in 7.50-15 size.

They have a nice All Terrain tread that worked well in the So Cal High desert. They're not as aggressive as the traditional Extra Traction tread of most 7.50-15 tires. But are much more aggressive than traditional highway tread 7.50-15 tires. I expect the tread to last better in dual purpose pavement/dirt use than typical extra traction tires.

The reported cost of $78 US is attractive too. Although I'm finding a higher price in the mid-$90 US range on the internet today. What they paid at a local shop may be less than what's on the internet.

Again...These are not currently sold in the US and I expect that you cannot have them shipped to the US.
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Some other tires that I wish, like other folks on here, were currently available

Q-Dog wrote:
ConcreteAce wrote:
1987 AutoRama
I wish we could still buy a matching set of those tires!

Especially at the prices they were originally sold at!!!! Shocked Although back in the mid-70s, a pair of those tires cost a week's worth of my wages. So I suppose it's all relative. I'd like to be able to buy gas at the octane levels of then (95 octane regular. Chevron White pump 105) and the prices of then (in 1973, I bought a tank of gas for my '58 Baja Bug that most of you have seen in here, at 19.9 cents/gallon.

Those Sand Blasters were excellent tires. Especially for out here in the desert. Radial casings would be fine. The fronts are now duplicated by Mickey Thompson brand as the "Mini-Mag" in E-78-15 size. Those rears are not available. Nor are the original Gates XT Commando tires these were developed from, nor the Sand Blaster 915s that I still have on my Hi Jumper buggy. All excellent tires. The very 1st offroad tires I bought back in the early 70s were a pair of Gates Air Float Commandos. They were great as well.

I bought these Sand Blaster 915s in 1978 and still have them still holding air and the rubber is still good.

Still have those Cooper 6.70-15 fronts too. Also still good. Excellent size for a mild Baja or a light rail buggy or fiberglass buggy. Unfortunately, nobody is making tires in that size anymore. When I 1st put 7.00-15s on the front of the Hi Jumper, the front was NOTICEABLY heavier and didn't work as well. My old Sand Blaster fronts like the ones on the front of that red Baja are 6.70-15s as well. I still have a couple of those too.
SoCalBajas Member
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

@dustymojave

thought you would get a kick out of the tires on this Baja. It belongs to a guy in Oklahoma. He brought it to Texas for DubSplash. He acquired the baja a few months back.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

If anyone wanted to run 31" but not the 10.5 width, you can go with 235/75/17. They are 31" and 9.25" wide. Looking and running them on my next project; a super squishy suspension awd manx.
Jeff
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

ConcreteAce wrote:
@dustymojave

thought you would get a kick out of the tires on this Baja. It belongs to a guy in Oklahoma. He brought it to Texas for DubSplash. He acquired the baja a few months back.

I have a few of those front SandBlasters kickin' around here. Very durable tires in terms of casing cracking. Those rears were quite good tires. I never owned any of that particular model, but friends of mine did. Late 70s era. The wheels are 1980s.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: