Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires Tires Tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

31x10.5 on rear.
235/70/15. On front.

Federal Couragia on all four corners.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Those are those same Federal Couragia M/T tires we were talking about on the last page. They look good.

Real pretty Baja too. I like the colors.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoJack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I'm pulling the trigger on some 15" x 6 rims, came with 14" and also going with the Federal Couragia M/T Mud-Terrain Tire- LT235/75R15 6 PR 104/101Q.

Any problems with having the same tire on all corners?

Yanking the 1500 and pumping in a fresh 1915 to push it over the hills.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Anybody tried out the Accelera MT tires ? made in Indonesia. About $20 less than the Federal Couregia MT tires.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Accelera-M-T-01-235-75R15-104-Q-Tire/141573186
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I put the federal couragia 31x10.50x15 0n my humbug and can now cross the creek. like that tread and looks. 290. for two at Walmart on line.
Bakerby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

My son embarrassed his best friend muddling a while back with the federal couragia on his bug. His buddy has an old ram charger and could not keep up, not even close. In the mud at least these things rule.
hendersoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Yokohama geolander ats 245-75 16” front (Almost 10 years old) and now has 265-70 16” pathfinder at from discount tire 8 got for $30 when one of the Yokohama went way out of round. All 4 yokos pictured.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Found awesome tool to get a good idea of actual tire size. May be a good add to this Sticky?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-75r15-165-85r15
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
Found awesome tool to get a good idea of actual tire size. May be a good add to this Sticky?

I like that tool. Problem seems is that I have never found a tire that is the “actual” advertised size when installed.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Pez wrote:

I like that tool. Problem seems is that I have never found a tire that is the “actual” advertised size when installed.

Too true, nothing can replace physically going down to the tire shop with a tape measure. The tool has at least allowed me to somewhat wrap my head around tire size vs aspect ratio. Never been something I could decipher easy.
oobleck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Anyone have an opinion about running the Firestone 700-15 NDT's on the front of a baja? the shoulders are rounded and the price is not much more than the Deestones/Power Kings
shakinjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

great subject matter
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I just found this thread today and spent all afternoon reading through it. Wow! lots of options for folks out there. Too bad most of the pictures and links don't work anymore.

The best tires so much depend on what you do, where you go and how aggressive you drive. So I will just briefly share my set up in case someone is interested.

Driving style - old fart, exploring the hills and back country, not street legal, 1600SP Bus transaxle. 14" ATV tires on the back 4 psi, 15" 5 rib implements on the front 8 psi. Have not tried these in pure sand yet.

Wheeljack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised no one brought up this gear ratio calculator http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html might not be the most popular one used, since it's mostly for 4x4 setups. Also, anyone try the EMPI Electronic Speedometer transducer kit? I'm wondering if it'll help to get an accurate speedometer reading. Get an electric speedo and then calibrate it to the new tire size. https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-9290.html Could help with the odometer and mileage calculations than trying to figure out the tire size difference by hand.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Wheeljack wrote:
I'm kind of surprised no one brought up this gear ratio calculator http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html might not be the most popular one used, since it's mostly for 4x4 setups. Also, anyone try the EMPI Electronic Speedometer transducer kit? I'm wondering if it'll help to get an accurate speedometer reading. Get an electric speedo and then calibrate it to the new tire size. https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-9290.html Could help with the odometer and mileage calculations than trying to figure out the tire size difference by hand.

That item seems a little pricey for the job , you could get a speedometer for less. I think most aftermarket speedometer even the old ones can be set to calibrate your actual speed. Mine does. Usually by using road markers and a button. Lot of people using gps now. And that unit still has the cable . I think the latest thing now would be to have a wired transducer instead of the cable.
Wheeljack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Wheeljack wrote:

That item seems a little pricey for the job , you could get a speedometer for less. I think most aftermarket speedometer even the old ones can be set to calibrate your actual speed. Mine does. Usually by using road markers and a button. Lot of people using gps now. And that unit still has the cable . I think the latest thing now would be to have a wired transducer instead of the cable.

Glow shift sells a kit for $20 for a mechanical to electronic speedo. Found the same EMPI kit elsewhere for $125. Most of the Hall effect ones are for Ford, GM, and Dodge transmissions.

My donor buggy has an original VW mechanical speedometer. I haven't found much for different kits to calibrate for larger tires. So I was thinking going the electronic speedometer route, but most of what I'm seeing, are not for classic VW. I'll keep searching though.
Wheeljack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

At least for the Autometer electric speedometers, the sender units require a CV axle. I have a swing axle, so I'll have to get either a different tooth count to get an accurate speedometer or, that transducer. Found the same transducer cheaper elsewhere.

Also, is it beneficial to run a wider tire in back (supposedly running a wider tire acts like an anti-sway bar) than the front and are there any issues just running the same size tire front and rear on a Warrior frame with a swing axle?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Wheeljack wrote:
Also, is it beneficial to run a wider tire in back (supposedly running a wider tire acts like an anti-sway bar) than the front and are there any issues just running the same size tire front and rear on a Warrior frame with a swing axle?

There are a number of reasons to use a bigger rear tire than front on a tube frame buggy based on VW components.
1 - The rears do all the push work
2 - The rears carry the vast majority of the load. Most of the car's weight is at the back of the car. INCLUDING the passengers.
3 - Wider tires on the front apply road forces to the spindles and steering mechanism with a LOT more leverage and make it MUCH more likely to damage the front suspension. Bend/break spindles, tie rods, rod ends, steering box, etc. Stock 4" wide front rims with narrow tires place the loads on the spindle about the middle of the spindle shaft. 30 x 9.50 tires on 6" or 8" wide rimes put those loads out past the end of the spindle shank.
4 - Steering forces go WAY up with wide front tires and rims. That's when people start feeling a need to add power steering.
5 - Turning radius goes WAY up with wide front tires and rims. My Baja with stock front rims and 165 tires can turn a U-turn in my street with a few feet left over. With the Centerlines with only a 3.5" wide rim but more offset, I can only get a little more than 1/2 of that U-turn.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheeljack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

So what should the absolute widest be for the front before needing to go with a stronger spindle? I'm more concerned with tire size availability in a pinch than anything else. It's one thing to be able to order tires online, its wholly different when you need to replace a tire when riding and you get a non-repairable hole in the tire or what have you.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I'm not going to tell you an "ABSOLUTE".

The widest I go for on the front of a VW-based buggy or Baja is 7.00-15 on a 4" wide rim. And I prefer stock 3-3/4" back space for that 4" wide rim. Like a Centerline "bubble" rim.

In more common sizes in places like Nebraska, try a 215-75 x 15 tire. All-Terrain ("A/T") is good. Local Walmart had a good looking Douglas in that size a while back at a good price. So is a 6.70-15 5-rib DOT Implement tire. (Load Range B or C. NOT Load Range D or E.)

It's a buggy. NOT a lifted Chevy 4X.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: