Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires Tires Tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

TOOF wrote:
Does anyone run ATV tires on their baja bug? Im looking for some fun dirt tires for there 14" aluminum mag wheels I have.

Was just thinking about these for assembling a set off occasional use knobby wheels/tires on some 14" 4x130 mags that I have: https://www.amazon.com/26x9R14-26x9x14-Replacement...GYSCMV2XPP

May or may not ever happen, but the ATV tire choices out there are kind of interesting.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheeljack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I'm not going to tell you an "ABSOLUTE".

The widest I go for on the front of a VW-based buggy or Baja is 7.00-15 on a 4" wide rim. And I prefer stock 3-3/4" back space for that 4" wide rim. Like a Centerline "bubble" rim.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In more common sizes in places like Nebraska, try a 215-75 x 15 tire. All-Terrain ("A/T") is good. Local Walmart had a good looking Douglas in that size a while back at a good price. So is a 6.70-15 5-rib DOT Implement tire. (Load Range B or C. NOT Load Range D or E.)

It's a buggy. NOT a lifted Chevy 4X.

Thanks man! I'll check those out.
law.jrthompson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Hoping to revive this board for a little help. Building a bug and currently torn on tire size and rim width. Tire height will either be 31" or 33". It will be powered by a Honda motor and supported by a built up bus transaxle, so should be able to push either size. I want to run same size tire and rim all around for ease of a carrying a spare. Looking at either a 5" or 6" wheel and was hoping to get some opinions and or pictures of similar wheels.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Are you going to beef up your suspension to match? Have you read all the material above before you ask this question? Pretty much answered above. I just stated above an answer to your question.

Quote:
dustymojave wrote:
I'm not going to tell you an "ABSOLUTE".

The widest I go for on the front of a VW-based buggy or Baja is 7.00-15 on a 4" wide rim. And I prefer stock 3-3/4" back space for that 4" wide rim. Like a Centerline "bubble" rim.

In more common sizes in places like Nebraska, try a 215-75 x 15 tire. All-Terrain ("A/T") is good. Local Walmart had a good looking Douglas in that size a while back at a good price. So is a 6.70-15 5-rib DOT Implement tire. (Load Range B or C. NOT Load Range D or E.)

My preference for narrower tires on the front of a Baja is not about looks. It's about experience. There is more weight on the back of a Bug. Wider tires on the back affect the handling in a positive way. They reduce oversteer. Wide tires on the front lead to trouble with scrub radius. Increased steering effort. More damage to front end and steering components. Need for power steering. Need for anti sway bars all around (and nobody makes them for the back of Bugs). Trouble with tires rubbing and fender/body clearance. Vastly increased turning radius. And a number of other issues. I don't recommend it.

My Baja has 7.00-15s on the front and 30x 9.50-15s on the back and the spare is a 7.00-15. It will serve just FINE on the back if needed. Our offroad race team uses 7.00-15 spare tires for the 5/1600 Baja Bugs, 1600 Buggies and Class 9 Buggies. The 30x9.50-15s rub on the inner wheel wells in the back. Bigger tires will limit suspension travel unless you go with bigger trailing arms.

You CAN go with 33s all around. Be prepared to deal with the issues mentioned above.

Quote:

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

I have 7x15 LT truck tires all round on my buggy. Would I get a smoother ride going with normal off road tires like BF Goodrich all terrain? Just thinking they may be softer rubber and sidewalls?
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Considering turning my 70 into a Highwheel class 11 "Style"

Been reading through, and it sounds like Bias Ply is great for the dirt, but too squirrely on the Highways.

But great for making turns in the sand/ mud.

Is that basically the difference? Bias ply are squirrely?

I'll be mostly street driving, maybe 5% forest service roads to trailheads, and once or twice a year on ocean beaches.

Seems like everything I've read a good 235 / 75- 15's radial would be my best option running stock fenders and just thing spindles with a couple of notches in the rear - all else being stock.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:

Been reading through, and it sounds like Bias Ply is great for the dirt, but too squirrely on the Highways.

Is that basically the difference? Bias ply are squirrely ?

I'll be mostly street driving, maybe 5% forest service roads to trailheads, and once or twice a year on ocean beaches.

Seems like everything I've read a good 235 / 75- 15's radial would be my best option running stock fenders and just thing spindles with a couple of notches in the rear - all else being stock.

My take on it is Bias tires are a little more stiff and that’s good on the front to keep you steering more directional. The 7” x 28” that is common on the bajas seemed to be mostly available as a bias ply with like a 6 or 8 ply sides. I have some Yokohama 742 that are similar but are modern radials. I think the radials are better modern choice just make sure they have a stronger side wall . I had some light truck radial tires on he front of mine and they sucked cause the steering was squishy or soft . That said The stiff tall front tires with high air pressure do track and veer making them seem squirrely I run mine as low as 18lbs on the highway
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

Is that basically the difference? Bias ply are squirrely ?

My take on it is Bias tires are a little more stiff and that’s good on the front to keep you steering more directional. The 7” x 28” that is common on the bajas seemed to be mostly available as a bias ply with like a 6 or 8 ply sides. I have some Yokohama 742 that are similar but are modern radials. I think the radials are better modern choice just make sure they have a stronger side wall . I had some light truck radial tires on he front of mine and they sucked cause the steering was squishy or soft . That said The stiff tall front tires with high air pressure do track and veer making them seem squirrely I run mine as low as 18lbs on the highway

wow - 18lbs is pretty lean.
Okay, good to know. I'll be mostly highway with some forest service roads here and there.
I always thought Bias plies were softer in general and easier to get sideways - but maybe that's a tall tale.
VTbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with how loud the Yokohama 720's are on the street? Thanks!
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:

wow - 18lbs is pretty lean.

Not that lean, I run 18 rear, 12 front for race use on the rail, and mine is heavier than most.

Sidewalls on most off road tyres are far too hard for lightweight baja's and buggies.
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Speaking of pounds. Does there exist a spreadsheet which shows tire weights?

This is my nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDeNv5XcMo8
But of course the vehicle weight and specifics are pretty much as opposite as one could get versus our vehicles, so there is that.

I went with Goodyear Wrangler 235/75r15 which were about 30.5 pounds each. They seem to run around $100 to $110 each at this time.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

On my Baja, I've been running Yokohama 720 7.00-15 Xtra Traction. The last set were shaved shoulders. Race car take-offs. The current ones are also race car take-offs, but Highway tread. Should last a lot better in dual purpose driving. I too run 18psi or less on those fronts. They're designed for heavy trucks, not lightweight Baja Bugs.

Actually for most mild Baja Bugs used primarily on pavement, I recommend 215-75 radial fronts with a coarse pavement tread. Possibly All Terrains. For the rears on such cars, I recommend 30x9.50-15 radials. Again Coarse pavement tread tires or All Terrains. For most purposes, Mud Terrains on a Baja Bug are all about the "Look". Some 31x10.50s will rub on the ends of the torsions and on the inner fender panel too. In fact, with stock trailing arms, tires bigger than 30x9.50s become the upper travel limiters.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Tires Tires Reply with quote

Looking at 235/75/17 all around for a fireroad-runner baja. Roughly 12" suspension travel.
What do you think of the size?
Running 17 x 7 wheels as it's going to be running 5x4.5 custom hubs with big brakes.
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: