Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Radius Arm(Strut bar) Bushings need Help w/ PICS
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: 87 Radius Arm(Strut bar) Bushings need Help w/ PICS Reply with quote

I read what I could posted here and bentley on radius arm. My bushings are worn, and I got my replacements but haven't installed them. Is there a reason why I wouldnt want to do this procedure? Bentley only shows to measure the thread length. I do plan on an aligntment after I am done.

Is this a PITA what should I look out for? I plan on marking the threads with perma marker to keep it close to orignal threading.

insight?

Last edited by Raynor Shine on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to replace the radius arm bushings, among other things, in order to pass the out of province inspection when we bought our 91. These bushings were the only thing I had trouble with. So much so, that I took it in to a shop to have them do it, and it took them 5 hours to get them replaced, because the nuts were so hard to get off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Radius Arm Bushings Reply with quote

Just count the number of threads showing on each side before you start. Then make sure the same number is there when you are done. If the alignment is good now it will probably be close after too.

Mark

Raynor Shine wrote:
I read what I could posted here and bentley on radius arm. My bushings are worn, and I got my replacements but haven't installed them. Is there a reason why I wouldnt want to do this procedure? Bentley only shows to measure the thread length. I do plan on an aligntment after I am done.

Is this a PITA what should I look out for? I plan on marking the threads with perma marker to keep it close to orignal threading.

insight?
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radius arm? Anyone care to enlighten me with the terminology?
69 Bug - 1776cc
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnmlMthrM60 wrote:

Maybe call them lower front struts? The diagonal member from the lower front cross member to the outer part of the lower control arm.
If you live in the rust belt you will want to buy the washers and sleeves as well. I found mine to be totally destroyed by rust and this allowed the bushing to move much more, actually damaging the mounting slighty.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
AnmlMthrM60 wrote:

Maybe call them lower front struts? The diagonal member from the lower front cross member to the outer part of the lower control arm.
If you live in the rust belt you will want to buy the washers and sleeves as well. I found mine to be totally destroyed by rust and this allowed the bushing to move much more, actually damaging the mounting slighty.
Al

.... or strut bars, radius rods.

And yes the metal sleeve, (and radius arm itself), and the hole they pass through can get very worn out. Just went through repairing the hole on mine and replacing a bunch of front end parts. On an '81. I think radius rod Hole and bushing details is the same for all model years AFAIK. And this was here on the West coast. Not a rust belt area really.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340853&highlight=radius+arm

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I got the nuts loose, but I can't get the rod to loosen up to slide it out. I don't have an impact wrench. am I stuck? Is there tension on the strut bar? BTW it is a 27 MM nut.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any luck with this? I am going after the same bushings today. After loosening up the nut at the bushing, do you simply put the same wrench on the end of the rod where it threads into the control arm and pull like heck? Bentley shows 133 ft/lbs on that one. Did you try a torch?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raynor Shine"]ok so I got the nuts loose, but I can't get the rod to loosen up to slide it out. I don't have an impact wrench. am I stuck? Is there tension on the strut bar? BTW it is a 27 MM nut.

Pic/scrape away dirt where rod nut meets the lower control arm and soak it with penetrating liquid again.

I've never tried this, but if one were to use heat, might be best to apply heat to lower control arm where rod threads in.

Safe use of a BFH and wrench may help too although not sure if there's enough room to hit "down" on wrench.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks v-nut- I got an impact wrench with a 14mm socket on the end of the bar, lifted it a bit to center the rod. Still no luck. Just to clarify its a counter clockwise thread to lossen, right?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if it were me, I would abandon the removal of the strut rod and just remove the lower control arm as a whole. In fact, before doing anything else, I would try to remove the lower coontrol arm bushing bolt, lower the control arm until the spring pressure is off of it and try to pull it backwards to see if you can get the clearance necessary to free the strut rod from the body mount.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to remove mine. The procedure I used was use an impact wrench with a 27mm socket to spin off the forward most nut. Then with your 27mm open ended wrench, spin the remaining forward-most nut towards the control arm. This takes a long time as you have to move it about 3" to get enough clearance to later remove the rod. You may have to put a pipe on the end of the 27mm wrench for leverage to get it started. Once this is done, then take the same 27mm wrench to the end of the rod closest to the control arm. Again get out the pipe for extra leverage. This spins left, like a normal nut to release. Just like the 2nd nut you removed, you have to spin this about 3" worth of thread, half turn at a time. It came right out, but took a long time. No heat needed.

I was just going to do my radius arm bushings today, but it was enough work getting this off I am going to go ahead and replace all the bushings I ordered 6 months ago. Will take the van out of commission for a week or so, but I don't want to come back down here again any time soon!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
I think that if it were me, I would abandon the removal of the strut rod and just remove the lower control arm as a whole. In fact, before doing anything else, I would try to remove the lower coontrol arm bushing bolt, lower the control arm until the spring pressure is off of it and try to pull it backwards to see if you can get the clearance necessary to free the strut rod from the body mount.

Yes!

If I had known what issues I would run into (lack of experience/uber rust) I would have dropped the LCA and rod as a unit on my '81

On the old style suspension, I found that one can install the "unit" with rod connected to LCA.

This page I just threw together should apply to later model suspension. It is more involved than what Loogy logically suggest, but if need be, this is how I dropped the whole thing as a unit.

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/lowercontrolarminstallas%22unit%22

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you disconnect the speedo cable from the driver side front spindle so the spindle/LCA can be removed? Will the speedo cable pull through the spindle? Or do you need to disconnect at the speedo and pull it all the way out?
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raynor Shine wrote:
ok so I got the nuts loose, but I can't get the rod to loosen up to slide it out. I don't have an impact wrench. am I stuck? Is there tension on the strut bar? BTW it is a 27 MM nut.

I sprayed it down, let it soak for a while with pb blaster and it still did not budge, Heat was the trick - I used Map Gas to heat it up and I used a really large crescent wrench with a pipe on the end for extra leverage to break it loose.

Paul
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raynor Shine wrote:
Just to clarify its a counter clockwise thread to lossen, right?

I've never removed a later model radius arm, but i suspect it's a standard thread, so lefty loosie.

Yes. CCW

Raynor Shine wrote:
Thanks v-nut- I got an impact wrench with a 14mm socket on the end of the bar, lifted it a bit to center the rod. ....

I don't understand. Think Smile

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: