Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Camshaft do I need?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: What Camshaft do I need? Reply with quote

Looking at this Engine kit to go from a 1600 I have.

http://aapistons.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...60537dab9d

I noticed it doesn't have a camshaft. What kind would I need?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on your driving style, trans gearing, trire size, etc.
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Oh boy Umm I have 31 inch tires, I drive it like I stole it. Mostly threw trails and ORV trails but I want to have a good top speed because I would like to be able to drive it on freeways at 70 plus MPH. I will be using an IRS AH Code trans which I believe has the 4.12 Gear Ratio.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Oh boy Umm I have 31 inch tires, I drive it like I stole it. Mostly threw trails and ORV trails but I want to have a good top speed because I would like to be able to drive it on freeways at 70 plus MPH. I will be using an IRS AH Code trans which I believe has the 4.12 Gear Ratio.

KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 2110 and 31"tires your going to need something along the lines of an FK41 or FK42. I'm running a 2109 in a baja with 4.86r/p with 31"paddles and there is a huge drop in rpm when shifting into second and I'm spending most my time in second between 2000rpm and 4500rpm.I have a much larger cam thou. With a 4.12r/p its going to be more of a drain. Depends on what your doing, but your going to need some low end to pull 31" tires with a 4.12r/p.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an FK-42 in my 2085. Awesome cam for my driving style! I only take my baja on the street (no fun I know) running 205/70/r14's through a 75 super tans (single side cover) with a 3.88 R&P. You can jump on it in any gear and it just goes. With your higher R&P you should benefit from the torque, and be able to drive through the gears easier (not a high rev cam so you shouldnt have to wind it out).
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts. Do you guys have a link to a good place to buy. I was looking online and found the FK-42 on a couple website but the website Appletreeauto.com I usually buy from doesn't have it listed like that they just have measurements. Thanks again.

KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engle-FK42-Type-1-Camshaft-Ratio-Rockers-p/e6042.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: