Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original fog lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of nos Marchal 672/682 foglamps that my dad bought in europe in the early 50's. I have been searching for a proper vehicle to mount them on for years. I can't put these on the baywindow because they are to retro looking, but if I get a split I will mount them up. You can't buy these anymore except fake reproductions, and those cost over 200 bucks and are chinese made crap. This is a pic of the same ones off the net, one yellow bulb and one clear, except mine ar new in the box still.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
ok fine, all this stuff looks great in photos or on a sunny day at a summer meet but is anyone really planning on using these devices under the conditions for which they were designed?

In case that wasn't rhetorical: Yes.
Relay your headlights with proper bulbs and aim, and a set of working fogs, and you put out a wall of light. People actually don't pass on pitch black rainy rural roads because they don't want to break trail in the darkness.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topaz. wrote:
I had to find the rear one and take a photo.

The part number.

It has a black cover for a later baywindow,I think the early style is chrome.

Here is the switch for the front and the rear fog lights.

The part number.

Tpoaz,
I'm still in the market for one of those switches and rear fog lights. If you come across an extra set or either of them let me know Cool
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
topaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may check at ebay.de under Nebelschlussleuchte and Nebelschlussleuchte schalter.
Tom71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody put fog lights on an early bay that has the tire on the front? Curious how it looks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topaz. wrote:
I had to find the rear one and take a photo.

My 1975 Mexican SC had the foul weather package M-code (Z01) and had factory-installed fog lights, front and rear. These are gone, but I wish to restore them. I have the lamps, and there are holes up front that I will use, but I don't know how the rear one was wired.

Does anyone have an example of factory wiring for the rear fog light? How was the wire run? I see in topaz's photo that there is a grommet on the wiring harness... so, where did that penetrate the body? I find no hole for that, but it is probably obscured by PO bondo, like the front ones were.

See also this from another thread:

When I get these done right, I will share photos of what the factor install looked like.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

From the "Vintage and old VW pics" thread:

Tasty sunroof Clipper Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Shocked that bus is almost as cool as those rockin plaid pants. Great photo.
Very cool fog lamps. What's with the black round part where the emblem usually goes. Sorry to get off track. Never seen anything like it.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

I have the correct early chrome rear fog and green Hella switch for the front and rear fog lights if anyone is interested.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I have the correct early chrome rear fog and green Hella switch for the front and rear fog lights if anyone is interested.

the green Hella switch is an aftermarket package for subsequent installations.
(may be used on early bay windows, where fog lights were not an VW option as started ~Aug. 1971 with M-Code Z 01 "bad weather package")

With M-Code Z 01 original in bay windows is a Hella switch with yellow illuminated fog light sign (positions: off. front, front & rear):
(The position is near the ash tray - see also manuals)

Also the front fog lights are made by Hella in Europe - not Bosch - as somebody posted before.
Some later originals have only a black plastic back side - not chrome.
So I prefer the current Hella Classic 181 (completely chrom) - with attachable plastic stone guard covers.
http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-foglight
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
With M-Code Z 01 original in bay windows is a Hella switch with yellow illuminated fog light sign (positions: off. front, front & rear)

I can confirm this. The '75 SC with factory fog lights has this 3-position fog light switch. I managed to find a spare one as well, in case the original breaks, but they are damned rare. Here's one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1864901

As many of you know, if you don't need the 3-position functionality (which you really don't -- just keep the rear fog on with the front ones, or wire the rear permanently to the tail lights, as I will be doing) you can make your own fog light switch from a rear defroster switch (not hard to find) and an orange fog light bezel. Didn't topaz have some for sale? I can't find them now...

I also found the original wiring for the rear fog light! It was hiding back there in the engine compartment: a black/purple wire in the loom, and it goes out through a grommet in the floor of the driver's side "battery tray area", and out to the lamp.

The original wiring for the front fogs is set up so that they do not come on with the high beams, which is proper for fog lights. However, I will be making a minor (and reversible) change to make them work as driving lights instead of fog lights, so that they can be used alongside high beams. Here in northern New Mexico, fog is uncommon, but deer at night are common, so I am opting for the light.

As for the rear fog light, it is so much brighter than the basic tail lights that I intend to run with it all the time when the lights are on. I want as much light on the rear as possible, since the basic tail lights are not great.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
With M-Code Z 01 original in bay windows is a Hella switch with yellow illuminated fog light sign (positions: off. front, front & rear)

jtauxe wrote:
I can confirm this. The '75 SC with factory fog lights has this 3-position fog light switch. I managed to find a spare one as well, in case the original breaks, but they are damned rare. Here's one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1864901

Under duress, I might stretch to 16 Euros for one of these, but certainly NOT as much as 160 Euros, which is daylight robbery! Shocked

jtauxe wrote:
As many of you know, if you don't need the 3-position functionality (which you really don't -- just keep the rear fog on with the front ones, or wire the rear permanently to the tail lights, as I will be doing) you can make your own fog light switch from a rear defroster switch (not hard to find) and an orange fog light bezel.

Here in northern New Mexico, fog is uncommon, but deer at night are common, so I am opting for the light.

As for the rear fog light, it is so much brighter than the basic tail lights that I intend to run with it all the time when the lights are on. I want as much light on the rear as possible, since the basic tail lights are not great.

The ideal fog-light switch has four positions with one OFF and three ON

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=328345

I am unacquainted with the motor-vehicle lighting & use regulations in New Mexico, but here in Great Britain and probably the European Union also, it would be illegal to wire-up rear fog lamps, so that they were permanently illuminated, whenever the rear 5W tail lights were illuminated.

Keeping the rear fog light illuminated under conditions other than reduced visibility (defined as less than circa 100 metres), would be subject to a fine and maybe even 3 penalty points on one's driving licence. Collect 12 penalty points over a given period and one's licence would be suspended! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

The ideal fog-light switch has four positions with one OFF and three ON

I am unacquainted with the motor-vehicle lighting & use regulations in New Mexico, but here in Great Britain and probably the European Union also, it would be illegal to wire-up rear fog lamps, so that they were permanently illuminated, whenever the rear 5 W tail lights were illuminated.

I'm also not in New Mexico, but up here in Canada I don't believe there are any infractions regarding rear fog light use. Hell I don't think people are even taught in driving school what fog lights are designed for as most cars sold here don't come with them equipped. I see people driving around with european cars (typically your Audi/BMW/VW) with the rear fog light on in middle of a nice summer day who probably don't even realize they put it on they just pull the fog stalk all the way out as that "turns their lights on! Rolling Eyes " . (I'm sure it's similar in the USA)

There are rules regarding adequate lighting but don't think you can get an infraction for "adding" more as long as it's not distracting or blinding other drivers. Laughing
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

In Germany all new cars and trailers since 1991 must have rear fog lights. To much multi-vehicle accidents at bad sight...

The usage of the rear fog light is restricted if free sight is less than 50 m (165 feet) only by fog. Otherwise you pay a certain fine ~ $25 - $35 because of the glare.
That's why the fog light switch is illuminated at rear fog light usage as a warning - and switched on only after the front fog light are already on.

The usage of the front fog light is also restricted - but could be used at bad sight conditions caused by fog, rain, snow, dust, ... and not only at 50 m free sight.

but some few car drivers are also in Germany to stupid and drive always with full illumination Rolling Eyes

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I am unacquainted with the motor-vehicle lighting & use regulations in New Mexico, but here in Great Britain and probably the European Union also, it would be illegal to wire-up rear fog lamps, so that they were permanently illuminated, whenever the rear 5 W tail lights were illuminated.

Keeping the rear fog light illuminated under conditions other than reduced visibility (defined as less than circa 100 metres), would be subject to a fine and maybe even 3 penalty points on one's driving licence. Collect 12 penalty points over a given period and one's licence would be suspended! Shocked

We're all just Wild West out here! Cool
Inspections? We don't need no stinking inspections!

And frankly, rules be damned, if it makes me more visible on the road, I'm all for it.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
In Germany all new cars and trailers since 1991 must have rear fog lights. To much multi-vehicle accidents at bad sight...

This has been a requirement on newly-registered British cars and trailers, since 1979/80.

jtauxe wrote:

And frankly, rules be damned, if it makes me more visible on the road, I'm all for it.

I find this attitude rather disturbing! Evil or Very Mad

Damn the French and the French navy, for interfering in our 18th Century, New England colonial disputes!

Still, we got our own back, when superior ships (including the newly introduced copper bottoms Smile ) & gunnery got the better of them, after they tried to invade our Caribbean colonies, and as a consequence the French population rebelled against the French monarchy (who went to the guillotine), who had bankrupted them as a consequence.

I would strongly advocate regular, rigorous road-worthiness inspections and certifications in ALL countries of the World. When they are absent, the incidence of inadequate maintenance is all too evident! We cannot rely upon random on-road police inspections to curb this.

Fortunately, British police can interrogate the on-line national database in real time, which flags-up whether any British-registered vehicles passing the checkpoint, have a valid MOT road-worthiness certificate, motor-insurance and road-tax payment. In the future, this might also apply to European Union registered vehicles, if it doesn't already.

With luck, North American authorities might gradually be changing their attitudes. Very Happy

http://www.garageboy.com/fahrt/fog.html

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

http://definitelymotoring.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/too-many-people-mis-use-fog-lights.html

http://www.swiftcover.com/about/press/fog-lights/

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/richardstevenson/entry/why_do_drivers/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/motorists-mis...14411.html

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Go away ...this horse is dead. Rolling Eyes I apprise your knowledge Nigel but let's get back to original fog lights rather then rules and regulations. Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

Please note that my tongue is firmly in my cheek, there. As an engineer, I'm all for inspections. You should see some of the horrible rides people have around here. But I forgive them because they are poor.

As for my rides, they are safe and well-maintained, even if the rear fog light (the likes of which I have never seen on any vehicle in North America, mind you) seems out of place.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

Please note that my tongue is firmly in my cheek, there. As an engineer, I'm all for inspections. You should see some of the horrible rides people have around here. But I forgive them because they are poor.

As for my rides, they are safe and well-maintained, even if the rear fog light (the likes of which I have never seen on any vehicle in North America, mind you) seems out of place.

No inspections, safety or smog, here either and it's totally awesome! If it has a title you can register it with only a piece of paper. Gotta love the Wild Wild West of the US.

I had a Volvo once with factory rear fog lights. At the time I lived in Buffalo where it snows a lot and I often used them.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

I have an aluminium switch-panel, substituted in place of the dashboard's central ash tray, incorporating six 20 mm, square-section, push-button switches (cost just a few pounds for the set of eight), salvaged from a Citroën Visa car; two of which have emblems and integral orange-lensed, tell-tale warning lamps, for front & rear fog lamps.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: