Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

disable steering lock
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: disable steering lock Reply with quote

hey all,

before i tear into my van, i thought i'd ask...anyone know how to disable the steering lock?

i will be towing my syncro around on all fours with a tow bar and i don't want to have to leave the key in the ignition.

thx!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could remove the ignition from the steering column. Or you might be able to take the coupling off at the steering damper. Why not leave the key in while you're towing anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's not a one time thing, we're going to be cruising around in an RV with the syncro in tow. i wanted it partially for security and partially for a fail safe so i would never accidentally drive away without the key in the ignition.

i took it apart and it definitely seems more involved than what i can do now, but i may revisit in a few week when i have some shop access.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, I see, that makes sense. Well then you'll need to take the ignition apart and figure out how to get the slider out of there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy--this is for sure going to be a bunch of screwing around to get the steering lock undone just to tow the Van.
I'd disconnect a battery cable, and just leave the key in the ON position.

Put a note on the door glass of the tow vehicle to remind you where the key is in the Syncro.

This would be the simple answer--all done in 5 minutes.

You'd almost have to remove the ignition tumbler, & grind the lock pin down to nothing to get where you wanna go with this idea.

Most towed vehicle have the steering wheel tied or locked kinda straight anway--
Why do you want the front end to wander around?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed vanagons and bays with tow bars, and if the steering wheel is left alone, it doesnt wander, it tracks really well, and follows the tow vehicle perfectly (steers itself). If you tie the steering wheel, the front wheels fight you on the curves, and drag on sharp turns. At least using the tow bars I've had.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
You'd almost have to remove the ignition tumbler, & grind the lock pin down to nothing to get where you wanna go with this idea.

Either that, or figure a solid reliable way to close up the channel in the steering column so smoothly that the pin won't catch.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Boy--this is for sure going to be a bunch of screwing around to get the steering lock undone just to tow the Van.
I'd disconnect a battery cable, and just leave the key in the ON position.

Put a note on the door glass of the tow vehicle to remind you where the key is in the Syncro.

This would be the simple answer--all done in 5 minutes.

Most towed vehicle have the steering wheel tied or locked kinda straight anway--
Why do you want the front end to wander around?

towing on all fours you do -not- want to lock the wheel. some people bungee the wheel to prevent it from going to full lock in slow turn situations, but even that is not necessary. at speed it will track just fine and locking it straight will only cause unnecessary strain and wear. you only want to lock wheels when towing with the front wheels off the ground and on a dolly.

the main reason i wanted to do this is for the same misconception you stated. at first i thought the ignition had to be in the on position to keep it unlocked and i have no wish to disconnect my battery every time i tow. the pain in the ass of resetting my stereo preference is enough of a reason.

after tearing my column apart to see how the lock worked i realized that the key does not have to be left in the on position to keep the lock unlocked. you simply have to turn it on then go back to the off position and the tumbler will not come out until the key is removed.

for me disabling the tumbler is just 100% insurance against it ever locking up on accident. as i told jeremy, this is not a one time thing, i will be doing this on a weekly basis for a year or two. so the chances of mistakes go up drastically.

i think when i come back to a shop i'll pick up a lock form a pick and pull and see if i can just machine off the tumber in a mill or like jeremy's suggestion weld up the channels in the steering column so it can't lock into anything.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after tearing my column apart to see how the lock worked i realized that the key does not have to be left in the on position to keep the lock unlocked. you simply have to turn it on then go back to the off position and the tumbler will not come out until the key is removed.

Hate to seem rude, but is this just occurring to you guys now, after how many years of driving cars?

Think about it: if you just keyed off and the lock pin was released by that action alone, then if you turned off the ignition while rolling down the road (people do this), and turned the wheels a bit (you might have noticed that the lock doesn't drop in when the wheel is straight ahead, either, unless you've repositioned the steering wheel on the shaft), your steering would be locked at an angle, and off the road you would go.

This is a basic and nearly universal design feature, and without looking it up I would feel safe in saying it is required by law if a vehicle is to have a steering lock. Every passenger car except the older Saabs I've owned (which lock their trannies in reverse against theft) works the same way. Go out and try it in any car you own; I promise you, the steering won't lock with the key in the off position if it has previously had the pin lifted by having been turned on. Pull the key out, and if you listen very closely you can hear the pin release. Turn the wheel, and it drops into a hole in the steering shaft.

If your steering angle-to-lock position is well off of straight aways, which it is supposed to be, also a safety feature ( if you turn off the engine while rolling down the road and also remove the key, the steering won't lock on you yet because if any vehicle is actually rolling at anything above parking speeds, it's steering is within a fairly narrow angle from straight ahead; see, there is a logic to this), you could do the towing you want to with the key out of the cylinder as you wanted to, although I wouldn't recommend it. Just check out how far off-angle your locking position is and you can judge whether that is safe to do or not. Just don't go doing any intense parking maneuvers that way, because you could cause the front wheels to deflect enough to lock the steering. It could not happen at speed, but it could happen while backing.

You can alter the angle-to-lock position by messing with the tie rod adjustments and deliberately throwing the straight steering position way off center, but then you have to get the toe realigned.

By far your easiest solution is to just leave the key in the ignition, having turned it to on first to lift out the pin. If you're forgetful (I am), then have a dupe key made up and lock the doors from the outside with that. If you're worried about someone breaking in when they see the key there, go in the back and remove the fuel pump relay.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

By far your easiest solution is to just leave the key in the ignition, having turned it to on first to lift out the pin.

Actually the easiest solution is to put your beloved Syncro on a flat bed where it belongs and not risk tearing it up and don't put miles on the drive system and not on the engine. If this really is going to be a weekly deal then a trailer is probably the safest and best way to move any vehicle.

My opinion only

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to 10cent, yeah i know dumb i should have realized it, but honestly i almost never use a steering lock, and for the reasons i stated i would be happier if it was totally disabled.

to paul, yeah flat bed is fine if you're going to move or pick one up to buy, but i'm not towing around a flatbed trailer all over the country with my RV. there is nothing easy about that solution for something you have to do every other week for several years. better for the syncro? hell yes, but easier, or faster to connect, no way. flat beds are nice since you can back up with it, but many RV parks barely have room for my rig and my van much less a huge flat bed trailer. i can disconnect my van from my rig in 5 mins or less. there is no way you can do that on a trailer.

besides i already have my nice towbar and air controlled supplement brake system installed on the rig and my van. so the chances of me using a trailer now are considerably less than 0 Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: