Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another LED instrument cluster question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Another LED instrument cluster question Reply with quote

I will start by saying I read all six pages of the original LED post on here.

I know that people are using the direct fit B8.3D supplied by superbrightleds.com. What I am wondering is which B8.3D are people using??? There are 2 different options a regular and a high output.

B8.3D-R cost $1.59

B8.3D-BHP cost $2.59

Any info would be super helpful!
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed the regular and it works great, i think high output would be too much. that said, you can dim them so i think either way would work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought both the Blue and the UV and tryed them both. The UV seemed a little dark for me. The blue is what i have in.
Remember the dimmer works with leds but not as dim as the stock lights. I think the brights would not dim down enough..

They are cheap try them all Very Happy

jcl
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP version is new, I haven't seen it listed before. The leds put such a low load on the system that they only dim a little bit. The Hp version might be too bright, they are more than 2x brighter than the standard B8.3D led that everybody is using. If you don't mind experimenting buy 1 of any bulb that you are considering and them make the decision which one to keep and make a final order- that is what I did. The true test of which LED will make you happy is the lighting of the speedo and the clock(the clock is the real test). Good luck and let us know the results if you decide to throw in a HP.
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input! I was thinking that I would just order both and see what looks better. I just don't want to overload the circuit and burn up the instrument cluster foil. Should I be concerned about that?

I have already had to replace my foil once and found that it is not that easy to find.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spec. on the leds show a lower current draw with the HP version, they are a different type. I have never burned up a dash foil so I don't know what it takes to do something like that- were you using some kind of superbulbs? Good luck.
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I bought the van the foil was melted near the 2 top light positions. Somebody was doing something funny.

I'll let you know how the high power bulbs work. If I have time I'll post up some pics, side by side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: