Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

parting out a vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: parting out a vanagon Reply with quote

what should I keep to sell? Basicaly I am pulling parts as people ask for them, but in a month or so the chassis is going to the bone yard, but I would hate to find out I left those 5 big dollar small pieces on when it left. whats worth holding onto to list on the classifieds for a while? its a 90 automatic, so any help is appreciated. I don't know vanagons, only bays, so pointers as to what is hard to find in working condition would be cool, and what is worth my time and energy to save and store.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything that still works, isn't broke, or that can be rebuilt to work.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, as much as I would love to, my entire apartment i s already dedicated to the storage of 2 seperate ac engine projects, a flock of kittens, and even more spare bay window parts. there must be one or two little things that are worth good money when you need one.

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
vanaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save parts that were updated compared to earlier models.
Front suspension uprights & brakes, rear-most side windows, ECU, stuff like that.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are looking for small yet high dollar items.. The ECU (the brain) is most bang for your size to dollar ratio. TPS (throttle pos. switch), those are the best I can think of at the moment in the size/$ equation, maybe others can chime in. There are certainly lot's of other parts of value but sounds like your apartment is maxed out and who want's to store a bunch of large parts, glass etc..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the idle air bypass valve and the control unit for it? Headlights would be good to pull if they're in good shape. AC compressor wuld be good to pull if it doesn't leak.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the Dash Pod, grab the Curtains & Jump Seats-- if you have them.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got 'em.....Power mirrors.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 91 non camper parts van - motor, i guess i could have parted it all out long ago, but it makes great storage for useless junk Laughing i'm seriously thinking about making a chicken coop out of mine. i have scrapped more than a doz vanagon's. its been one of the hardest things to do, but some how i want to save this one. besides i have a 91 carat soon to be on the rd. you cant store it at a buddy's house for awhile Question
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922

Last edited by devesvws on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Camper or just a regular van? If a camper, does it have the hose style faucet with the switch on the faucet? If so send me a line.

I know this is a bit of a pain; but does anyone have the little metal clips that the front grill screws go into (the ones that clip to the frame)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info folks, really helps as vanagons aint my thing. IT is a carat.

obnoxiousblue wrote:
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to revive this thread just to say how much fun it is to part out a VW! amazingly simple how it comes apart, and really fun to just be destructive from time to time. pulling the carpet and padding to toss was fun, and now the whole thing feels soo cavernous inside. If I ever need a work truck in the future, I am buying a beat vanagon and just pulling the interior, I could fit a boat in there! Getting ready to pull the motor, any tips on draining fluids in a controlled fasion, mainly coolant?

obnoxiousblue wrote:
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westynova wrote:
Is it a Camper or just a regular van? If a camper, does it have the hose style faucet with the switch on the faucet? If so send me a line.

I know this is a bit of a pain; but does anyone have the little metal clips that the front grill screws go into (the ones that clip to the frame)?

Go Westy sells them
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westynova wrote:

Maybe TK can help you out with these
swingDB0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would like to know what year it is??
is it a westy??
well you see i am in desperate need of a title
and if you have one is there any way that i can get that from you??
my westy is from canada and i have no way of reaching the original owner..so im trying to register the van and getting a new title..and i have to go through a lot of BS..and well im pretty sure i can make another tiltle work with my westy...and i wouldnt mind requesting a few parts off you too.. Very Happy
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there not laws against using a title for van X to register van Y? I hope there are because if some A-Hole steals my van, I'd like to think he couldn't get a legit registration for my van by showing that he has, at some point, registered another van somewhere.

I understand that it's a lot of pain but there must be a LEGAL way to register your vanagon.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusername wrote:
I am going to revive this thread just to say how much fun it is to part out a VW! amazingly simple how it comes apart, and really fun to just be destructive from time to time. pulling the carpet and padding to toss was fun, and now the whole thing feels soo cavernous inside. If I ever need a work truck in the future, I am buying a beat vanagon and just pulling the interior, I could fit a boat in there! Getting ready to pull the motor, any tips on draining fluids in a controlled fasion, mainly coolant?

If you take the cover plate off the underside of the engine on the driver's side, there is a plug you can remove, and catch a lot of the coolant in a plastic bin. You take the plug out of the engine, then open the bleed valve on the top of the radiator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swingDB0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_vanagon wrote:
Are there not laws against using a title for van X to register van Y? I hope there are because if some A-Hole steals my van, I'd like to think he couldn't get a legit registration for my van by showing that he has, at some point, registered another van somewhere.

I understand that it's a lot of pain but there must be a LEGAL way to register your vanagon.
\

well of course there is a legal way to do it
don't think i haven't tried that
im in the middle of doing so but its a loooong process..and if i can find a faster way to get my westy on the run ill try it..i got nothing to lose..
bmwmango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull everything you don't see here plus the windows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 BMW K75 Parts (Deer 1, Beemer 0)
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in most cases the cops check the registration only, but never the vin# spot checks by cops would be ok, if the vin tag by the windshield and door jamb matches. btw the org numbers are stamped everywhere so if it was stolen they can ID it. color of vehicle on the registration is about 10 yrs old here in va. but before that, if i had more than one vanagon/bus/bug, i would use the same tags, no harm done so i thought. check your state&fed laws. some states dont care if you put a body from one car to another car, but some want to see the title of both Confused you need to find a loop hole that works for you. in the end you dont want it seized or be criminally charged.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: