Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire gas can
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Spare tire gas can Reply with quote

I just picked up a spare tire gas can and am about to start the restoration. I have a few questions for those of you that have them. Are the 6 felt strips that are on this picture factory or were they added by a previous owner? Also are there supposed to be any labels on the can and if so can anyone take a picture? The can had been paired somewhere along the line so any labels had been removed or covered. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire gas can Reply with quote

All the once I've seen including mine, have some, smaller than those on your pic. and I've always seen them in the upper rim. Not in the bottom like on yours.

Note: Mine is a 14" and it is still on the original finish.

Under index 82 of the parts manual you can see the felts on the diagram, smaller on the upper rim.

Hope that helps.

[/img]
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire gas can Reply with quote

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire gas can Reply with quote

The factory spare gas can had five pads that were sponge neoprene with an adhesive back. It comes in a roll. The size of the pad was about 1 1/8" x 2 3/4" x 1/16". I have used 1/8" thick and only needed 3 pads. If you want to try the 1/8" stuff, let me know and I will send you some. By the way, the picture of the spare gas can in the parts book is for a 15" wheel, not 14", they are a little different looking on the top. The gas can is embossed with the vw symbol and german lettering indicating capacity. No other labeling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire gas can Reply with quote

Thank you - that is all very helpful info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: