Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Shop Top
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Thing Shop Top Reply with quote

I just installed the Thing Shop Top and we have been having very cold weather here. It went together very nice,but I'm very sore from having to bend and stretch getting Old. Would not close as I have seen from everyone who has installed one. No Sun so I put my electric heater in the back and put a car cover over the top . Set it at 85 degree's for 2 hours. Took the heater out and pulled the top down and latched it. Worked Great. Now we have warm weather and full sun. Sure makes the Thing look nice. Will put the old top on my 73 as it is still in very nice shape. Will just put the cover over it and only use it if I have to. The old top was the beige color and I wanted the White on on the blue car.
GB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Although I would have to disagree on the weather though. It was 80 today here in SoCal. Hardly "cold" in anyone's book although the high desert tends to be cooler in the winter.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 9:00 and it is 44 and we are only 60 miles from the coast a big difference up here.
GB
Jzsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, I bought one this year in their saddle color. Nothing matches their quality
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2. I have been very pleased with my TTS top. I had a latch that broke. They replaced it free of charge.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great!! TTS has got it figured out!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love the color combo.

I love my TTS Top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Thing Shop Top Reply with quote

That looks great.

Note to Kubelman aka Kmann this is what a completed top should look like.
Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Thing top replacement Reply with quote

It has occurred to me that I should elaborate on my statement regarding Kmann but this is not the place. My only goal here is to let people know the type of person you will be dealing with should you ever decide to do business with this dude.

I will discuss this with the moderators but I will have to look into this procedure.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cml039
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your whole story, but Kubelmann is a long-time contributor to this site - I've never heard any complaints about his knowledge or his business practices. I've bought a number of parts from him. Absolutely no problems, and I won't hesitate for a second to buy from him again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Kman Reply with quote

I bought a few parts, and had him rebuild my wiper motor, turned it around and sent it back in less than a week. Not a single problem, helpful on the phone, would definitely do business again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Kman Reply with quote

I bought a few parts, and had him rebuild my wiper motor, turned it around and sent it back in less than a week. Not a single problem, helpful on the phone, would definitely do business again.
Randy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: thing shop top Reply with quote

May be OK for parts but in my opinion and from private emails I have received the guy is a flake.
Good luck .
vwmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just installed the thing shop top on frame top, unbelievably simple. My original frame was broke and rusted so I bite the bullet and sprung for the whole new deal. Glad I did, its awesome!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwmark wrote:

just installed the thing shop top on frame top, unbelievably simple. My original frame was broke and rusted so I bite the bullet and sprung for the whole new deal. Glad I did, its awesome!

This is what i will be doing at some point. Any others done this and are happy with TTS Frame and top combo?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
vwmark wrote:

This is what i will be doing at some point. Any others done this and are happy with TTS Frame and top combo?

I like mine. It comes with the top already attached to the frame, just pull it out of the box and put it on the car. Super easy for two people. It's made really nice, just costs a lot.

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:

I like mine. It comes with the top already attached to the frame, just pull it out of the box and put it on the car. Super easy for two people. It's made really nice, just costs a lot.

Thats the one i need to get. The frame i have already is slightly bent and the header is rusted. That and the glass sliding curtains. The shipping was roughly $400.00!!!!
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
KAmes wrote:

Thats the one i need to get. The frame i have already is slightly bent and the header is rusted. That and the glass sliding curtains. The shipping was roughly $400.00!!!!

I originally bought the regular plastic curtains with the top but then I got greedy and bought the sliding glass ones too. They are really nice. If you buy the storage bags they're made to hold two side curtains each, works good with the plastic side curtains but I found it hard to get two of the glass ones in a bag. They are thicker and the sliding latch sticks out. I ended up buying a second pair for one window per bag. When I called TTS to order the glass windows I was thinking sliding fronts and non sliding rears, But the lady on the phone convinced me that people really like the sliding rears. She was right, if you open the front and back it creates a nice airflow inside.

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
The shipping was roughly $400.00!!!!

That's the rub with all of this, the numbers get big really fast. I will say I've bought quite a bit of stuff from The Thing Shop and I've yet to be disappointed. By the way I saw the pictures of your bus and I'm jealous. Wink
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
obus wrote:
The shipping was roughly $400.00!!!!

That's the rub with all of this, the numbers get big really fast. I will say I've bought quite a bit of stuff from The Thing Shop and I've yet to be disappointed. By the way I saw the pictures of your bus and I'm jealous. Wink

thanks for the tip about the rear sliders and the bags too. I was thinking of going that way anyway as the more the breeze better! The bags i probably would have only gotten 2. Now i will rethink it and either do 4 or think of another option. I saw someone used Harbor "Fright" moving blankets to make ones. Thanks for the bus compliment. Your Thing is quite the looker as well. I hope mine can be half as nice when i am done!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: