Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to offer for a all original 61 bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I have just found an all original 1961 beetle in an old mans garage. It was parked there over twenty years ago in perfect running condition, covered with a light car cover and left in the dry, clean garage until I finally noticed it and asked about it.
He's willing to sell it, but he's a little OCD and refuses to uncover it until i am ready to make an offer. I did get to peek under the cover and the paint is perfect as is the chrome. The view from the floor is clean and rust free and complete.
I have no idea what to offer him for the car, and he won't give me the slightest idea what he wants. He's perfectly willing to leave the car there for all eternity and I don't want to piss him off by low-balling, but I don't have cash falling out of my ass either.
Any suggestions for acceptable offers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he won't show you, I would tell him what you expect for what you offer. You can give him a reasonable offer for the condition you expect and a lower one for issues.

Basically if everything is there, no rust, engine will turnover....offer X.

If there's rust, missing parts....seized motor offer Y.

You can also tell him that you are going to have to invest some money to re do all of the brakes and get it road worthy....new tires...etc.

Good luck....keep us posted.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, but I need an idea what X and Y should be. I've had awesome luck with these hidden jewels before (got a 21 window for $600 some years ago) but I just don't want to screw this one up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sky Hye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dont know if thie helps you or not I got my 61, which needed some paint, a new carpet and just a little shining up for $5000. It was all original and ran perfect.

dont know the extent of your experience on bugs but make sure you take a flashlight and look underneath for rust, around the hinge, paint bubbling, rust under the spare, and take a thourough look at the engine.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb do tell us the part of the world you are in?
No I am not gonna run out and spoil it for you.
You have to ask him what he would like to sell it for.
Then get a look good look at it go over the vehicle spent some time with it.
discover what it is gonna need...horse hair dries out and sheds on the floor.
What is it worth to you..If you get it Please keep it stock!!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be up front and honest with him... you are being asked to give a price without even LOOKING at the car? Let alone DRIVING it???

You REALLY need to think about this... there's a reason it's been sitting for 20 years... it could be something as simple as the shift couple needs to be replaced to a blown engine.

What I would do is let him know what you can comfortably afford... THEN also tell him how much you will love the Bug and take care of it and how it will be a part of your life.

Folks DO get attached to their VWs... he may be the original owner and it may have some very sentimental memories attached to it.

I bought my '59 and reassured the PO that I would take good care of it and really cherish it. I bought it for $300.00 less than what he was asking and he previously declined many offers previously, probably waiting for the right person to come along. But be frank with him and ask him why it has been sitting for so long. I bet you anything once you get on that certain wavelength, he will not only tell you about the car, but you will also develop a rapport with him and he just may sell it to you for what you can pay for it...

Does any of this make sense?

Keep up updated!

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
Sky Hye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delliott101 wrote:
Just be up front and honest with him... you are being asked to give a price without even LOOKING at the car? Let alone DRIVING it???

You REALLY need to think about this... there's a reason it's been sitting for 20 years... it could be something as simple as the shift couple needs to be replaced to a blown engine.

What I would do is let him know what you can comfortably afford... THEN also tell him how much you will love the Bug and take care of it and how it will be a part of your life.

Folks DO get attached to their VWs... he may be the original owner and it may have some very sentimental memories attached to it.

I bought my '59 and reassured the PO that I would take good care of it and really cherish it. I bought it for $300.00 less than what he was asking and he previously declined many offers previously, probably waiting for the right person to come along. But be frank with him and ask him why it has been sitting for so long. I bet you anything once you get on that certain wavelength, he will not only tell you about the car, but you will also develop a rapport with him and he just may sell it to you for what you can pay for it...

Does any of this make sense?

Keep up updated!

Yep! I did the same thing, talked him down $500 and assured him i would take great care of it, and I sure do. In the process of retoring my 61 and keep in mind, parts are VERY hard to find. Took me 5 months just to find the correct turn signal switch and a month and a half to find the right horn ring. Many things on the care are 1 year only which makes it rarer/more of a pain. But I love mine, and it is an attention hog.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Rhode Island, and I'm not at all worried about anyone else finding this gem.
The guy also has a 72 bug in the driveway covered under two car covers and a tarp. It's up on blocks and hasn't moved in the same 20 years. The damp air has gotten to this one, though, and my peek under the body shows some really deep rust on the backing plates and suspension and some pop-rivets in the floor. he refuses to uncover that one as well.
I just found out that he had sold an old 47 chevy pickup stored the same way for $2000, and the new owner already got it running.
I think I'll offer him the same $2K for the 61 and cross my fingers. The tough part of this whole deal is the gamble. he just refuses to allow any real inspection because he can't stand to have the covers disturbed in any way. It took him quite a few minutes to tuck in the covers 'perfectly' after I disturbed them the first time.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You re going to have to take your time to crack the case open to get to the see the car.
Take him for a drive in your VW. Get like someone else said on the same wave length.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The odds of this being "all original" are actually quite slim. Until you can look at it and see what he's got there is no way of attaching a price to it.

If it is showroom perfect, it's worth a lot of money. If the rockers are falling off, the nose has been crunched in 1967, cheap repo fenders put on when they fixed it, the motor blew in 1971 and they replaced it with one out of a 57, etc. Sunroof? Convertible? Upholstery excellent? carpet, rubber mats, uncut dash, etc, etc, etc.

It COULD be worth $200 as a rusted parts car, It could be worth $5000 as a pristine piece of VW history, could be higher, could be anywhere in between.
Unlike recent model cars, there is no "blue book" value for an old bug. It is condition and what the market will bear. Only you alone can determine what it is worth. Look in the classifieds here on thesamba and see what various cars of that vintage are going for.

I know you want a better answer, sadly, there isn't one.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmw1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its obviously tough to say without seeing the car, but if the floors look relatively solid I'd say its worth 2500-3000 + Being in the northeast a solid VW is worth a lot more here than in the south or west coast. To give u an idea i bought my 60 from western mass in running condition, but needed floor and heat channel repair and a few other odds and ends for 2200 and i feel i paid a reasonable price for it. I'd say offer the 2500 and go from there. Hope this helps...

'60 Beetle Indigo Blue
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRACK!!!
I went back with a solid offer and the old nut case WON'T UNCOVER EITHER CAR!!!!
He wanted me to make him a solid offer, sight unseen. I offered to help him recover the cars after the inspection and he became really nervous and said that he just couldn't take the covers off.
He then told me the 61 wasn't for sale anymore because his son was interested in it.
IT HASN'T MOVED IN TWENTY YEARS!!!! If his son wanted it, he would have taken it by now.

I guess I'll just have to wait for him to die of old age.

Freakin' old whack job.....
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... that's life and it's his car... time to move on.

Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire state of Rhode Island is almost 6 times smaller the the county I live in. I smell a roadtrip. Laughing
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I can understand some of this guys hesitation with you. I'm not too far behind him in age myself Shocked Wink

You are being impatient with him. How do I know?

"Freakin' old whack job..."

I'm sure the words you used or you body language probably turned the guy off.

sometimes extracting these things from looong time owners is like doing surgery. if you have no patients...

He's searching for 'just the right new owner." Doesn't look like that is you this time around.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I went back with a solid offer and the old nut case WON'T UNCOVER EITHER CAR!!!!
He wanted me to make him a solid offer, sight unseen.

Fuck him, he's being a dick and dicks don't sell cars honestly.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is waiting for the correct older buyer I am not sure of your age however I bought a car from a couple 10 years ago and they would not sell it to any one under a certain age. Lucky for me I am over that certain age.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, make sure he has your phone number and let him know you'll talk to him if he changes his mind.
Keep in mind any car that has been sitting for 20 years will need:
New tires, new braking system, new fuel lines, possibly a new or rebuilt carb, battery etc it's not like you can start it up and take it for a test drive.
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dealt with people like this in the past, and most of the time they are just lonely people who look forward to talking with telemarketers.
Sometimes the best way ,IF you are serious is just take your time with him. Its appearent its not going anywhere fast. You might stop by and just talk with him once in awhile and not even mention about the car unless he brings it up. It may take a couple of months, or years. In the mean time he might turn out to be a interesting person, and maybe even a new friend.
If he gets the feeling you are hoovering around like a buzzard, I sure he won't sell it to nobody as long as he is alive. Just chill out and be patient, and if its meant to be it will.
Like someone mentioned that its his car, and he might not been in the mood to mess with it that day. If you don't have the time to invest with the wack job, then you probably have to move on to the other people that have signs in the cars FOR SALE. Man thats beautiful Very Happy
I should be in thearpy, wait I am.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugthug brings up a good point... but it sounds like befriending someone may not be your game...

no offense... but the guy already knows you want the Bug. He may be standoffish and if he sensed that you were upset with the whole thing, it may be a dead issue on his end.

It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) you found out he has this VW... you want it and probably asked him if he would sell it to you. He probably thought at the moment that he would. It sounds like he never really wanted to sell it.

If someone came up to me and said they wanted to buy MY Bug after it was sitting for 20 years I would tell them to take a flying leap. It was the last project my Dad and I worked on together before he died. You don't know what this car means to this guy. That could be the reason why he doesn't want to uncover it... he's too attached to it. Does that make him a whack job?

Bottom line... he does not want to sell it. That's HIS Bug and if he turns around and sells it to someone else or gives it to someone else, that's his right.

KTPhil: Shame on you! I lost a bit of respect for you on that last comment you made...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: