Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to offer for a all original 61 bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

go to the guy with a bag of twenty's and offer him the bag of twenty's for the Bug, tell him he can not count the money nor open the bag until you can uncover the car and check it out.

That might get him thinking.

good luck.

ps I wonder if the old man reads the samba!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Note the thread update.

Buyer working with family due to illness. Original owner in managed care.

Civility is is order here.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Note the thread update.

Buyer working with family due to illness. Original owner in managed care.

Civility is is order here.

Thanks for that. Despite my occasional raving lunatic-ish tone here on the Samba, I'm actually pretty sensitive to the elderly and to those affected by mental disorders. As I said earlier in this thread, I never let my frustration appear to the old man or his family, and I've always smiled and chatted with the old guy and his family.
At this point I feel like taking these cars off their hands will help ease the families stress with dealing with this houseful of "collections", but maybe I just want this Bug so bad that I'm just telling myself I'm being helpful. I really want the family to be pleased with this deal along with me.
As it stands now, I'm basing my offer on the low NADA retail price, minus the costs of making the cars roadworthy again. Seems like a fair place to start. I tried finding "comparables" in the Samba classifieds, but there are very few that seem to be in the same place as the 61. The 72 is in the low range of what I can find, but I think $500 is about as low as I would ever offer for a car. I have a friend that is already interested in it, so I'll likely just pass it on to him.

I know you guys are dying to see some pictures, but I was so excited when they allowed me to uncover them for the first time in 20 years, I forgot to take any. I promise the next time I see them I'll get some good shots to show you guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

If you guys haven't paid attention, I started this thread SEVEN YEARS AGO!!!
Patience and persistance seem to be on my side, but the deal isn't done yet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I'm with you on sensitivity. I have a few VWs right now that were never for sale- I was just the patient, honest and genuine guy who earned the place on the list(s). I walked away from a '60 bug with a motomoter triple gauge and semaphores for $100 because I had to let the son know the car was worth considerably more. The son eventually sold it for $500 to his friend- but I did not have any guilt associated with the car. There's no pride when you know you benefitted from a deal like that.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:

I noticed that. So now the '61 is worth less than it was when you started on the quest. It is older-----------deprecation, you know. Wink
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Some progress. I made my offer on the cars. Now the brothers have to mull it over. Cross your fingers!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:

I caught that, wow. I have been in the same situation on a '68 Porsche 911 thats been sitting in a garage at my co-workers neighbors home. The elderly owner let him to take 2 photos almost 2-years ago, said I would have 1st crack at it when it comes time to sell. His health has been up and down, just being patient and dreaming of seeing the car in person and hauling away with a car dolly.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

They finally called with a reasonable counter offer! I asked to go over the cars one more time. I'll check that the engines aren't locked up and see if the end-play is excessive.
I have a spot in my leased garage opened up and waiting. Maybe it'll finally happen this weekend.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Exciting stuff. Good to know the car will go to somebody who'll appreciate it instead of letting it rot.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

The deal is done!! After twenty years I've finally gotten the car! Now I have to arrange for a tow truck to get it to my garage. Front brakes are locked up, but I think that's likely just swollen rubber hoses. Pictures are on the way!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Far out, I hope you preserve the engine paint job.
Brings back memories Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Engine isn't locked up and looks like all it would need is some fresh gas to start. Oil is brand new clean. The front brakes are locked up tight, but I bet it's just bad rubber lines
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Far out, I hope you preserve the engine paint job.
Brings back memories Laughing

I'm really not so fond of the crazy engine details. There are actually swastikas mixed in with all that other crazy stuff
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I have to say, this car looks like it was well worth the wait! It looks legit. I had a guy offer to sell a 48 split for his friend that seemed to have lost a few marbles. I quizzed him on features of the car and it was dead on accurate to a 40's Beetle. I stayed persistent but never got to actually see the car. He finally told me that the owner was doing life in prison for murder and changed his mind about selling once someone was actually serious! Mad

Awesome to see this work out for you! In my area I've seen a few "survivor" 61's but they seemed to have the later tail lights installed. Very cool to see them there.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I also got this 72 in the deal. Has been sitting under about six tarps for the last twenty years.

Same kooky painting on the engine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: