Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder heads weeping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Cylinder heads weeping Reply with quote

So I started to install My VC Oil pressure kit and noticed the Driver side head weeping a drop of coolant. Then I noticed The passenger side is weeping.

Both heads were replaced 20,00 miles ago or so with AMC heads, along with some other work (rings and what not). I don't think the bottom end was touched.

I also noticed two separate hoses dripping coolant at the connection so I tightened the clamps and am crossing my fingers.

I plan to build the do-it-yourself coolant pressure tester to see if a problematic head is building pressure in the coolant system causing these leaks.

The question is, once I finish installing the oil pressure gauge (VC forgot to add the sending unit.) and I do a coolant pressure test and the verdict is OK in both aspects, How long can I let the heads weep without a problem?

Your either going to put my mind at ease, or stress me out. Laughing
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's wise to leave water jacket seals unattended to. You essentially are dealing with a small pressure leak in the cooling system. When the leak is tiny, the pressure loss doesn't seem to make much of a difference. If the leak gets worse, it does. I've personally experienced a Vanagon that would actually overheat because of a severely leaking head seal.

Your situation is actually quite favorable since the heads were recently off. That means the exhaust nuts are likely to come loose without too much grief, and it also means your heads are re-usable and will not be filled with corrosion pits. I would read up on the job and then go under there and pull the heads and do the job right. It sounds like your mechanic didn't apply the sealant correctly. That can make all the difference.

It sounds like you are okay for the moment, though, and you don't have a "tomorrow" crisis on your hands. Still, I'd make things right asap and enjoy some peace of mind.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya David.

Quote:
I would read up on the job and then go under there and pull the heads and do the job right. It sounds like your mechanic didn't apply the sealant correctly. That can make all the difference.

A lot of wrenches go by the book and only put the sealant on the outer flat face of the water jacket seal. That can bite you later. They can also leak around the backside, especially if there is a little pitting or damage to end face of the water jacket wall itself. The belt and suspenders approach is to put a little sealant around the wall end, fit up the seal, then apply sealant to the flat face as shown in the book.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that it was done not to long ago, Do i buy the entire seal kit, or is there just on or two seals that need to be addressed?
Would it make more sence to pull (drop) the motor or do it in place?

I will start the forum search soon.

Thanks.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
Being that it was done not to long ago, Do i buy the entire seal kit, or is there just on or two seals that need to be addressed?
Would it make more sence to pull (drop) the motor or do it in place?

I will start the forum search soon.

Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351083&highlight=head+gasket

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is a gasket kit at BD for under 100 bucks.
Now the question is, do I pull the motor or leave it in?
If I leave it in I will be working on gravel with plywood over it.

This is not a timely repair, not with baby #2 due on May 1st.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder heads weeping Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
So I started to install My VC Oil pressure kit and noticed the Driver side head weeping a drop of coolant. Then I noticed The passenger side is weeping.

Both heads were replaced 20,00 miles ago or so with AMC heads, along with some other work (rings and what not). I don't think the bottom end was touched.

I also noticed two separate hoses dripping coolant at the connection so I tightened the clamps and am crossing my fingers.

I plan to build the do-it-yourself coolant pressure tester to see if a problematic head is building pressure in the coolant system causing these leaks.

The question is, once I finish installing the oil pressure gauge (VC forgot to add the sending unit.) and I do a coolant pressure test and the verdict is OK in both aspects, How long can I let the heads weep without a problem?

Your either going to put my mind at ease, or stress me out. Laughing

Hello

Please do not misunderstand. I do feel your pain as I lost three Vanagons for that very problem.
There has been thousands of pages, millions of words on the subject of leaking, weeping heads.

That failed, poorly designed , patch up job of a motor (not yours specifically, ALL of them) is a pile of garbage, an Everest of S...t, and it's not -IF-, it's --WHEN-- and unfortunately , sooner than later
and again and again and again the built in, engineered failure will re-occur.
If you can, bite the bullet ( not an FMJ mind you , unless you have good teeth) and get a conversion.

I finally have total peace the performance and reliability of a new or near new van with my 2.2 Subaru conversion.

I paid US$4500* for a complete engine rebuilt on a Syncro back in the 90s. Immediately after a few miles of freeway driving the oil pressure light would come on at idle. I sold it.
* Ok perhaps I was a sucker then who knows ?

For comparison, I paid $5000 for an already Subaru converted Wolsfburg. Yes I did spend additional moneys over the first year/ year an half, but most of it was to clean up the conversion and make improvements, not necessary emergency repairs.

If it was today and the price was right I would seriously consider a Bostig conversion, but at the price the are asking, tough I will admit they do a beautiful , wonderful Job.
Just I am cheap Embarassed

Well good luck

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. I plan on keeping this van for a very long time. Bostig is on my mind now. By the time I save up some money there may be another conversion to choose from.

Right now I need to enjoy my van for a year or two or three before I will be able to afford said conversion.

The 100 dollar gasket kit and a couple of weekends of work seems to be the best route right now. That is, once the rest of the oil pressure gauge kit comes in and proves that the bottom end has some life in it.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Ben's videos of head removal and installation. He makes it look so easy. I like his video presence.

Any who, I think I am going to do it.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
I just watched Ben's videos of head removal and installation. He makes it look so easy. I like his video presence.

Any who, I think I am going to do it.

It's not hard, just take your time. Me, it's my job.

I just did a full and completed Subaru conversion harness in 5.5 hours. It use to take me 2 days.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder heads weeping Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:

Yeah, this is the beginning of the end. Let me guess: it doesn't drip when its warmed up. Right? Anyway, get out in front of this problem before other bad things start to happen. Look at this an opportunity to replace hoses, fuel lines, water pump, rear main seal, clutch, etc., etc.

You'll find countless opinions here about whether to take the motor out or not for this job. My vote--take it out, clean it up and do as much as possible. Oh, and then enjoy your Summer.

Marc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: