Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for putting up those pics of the later model hatch release.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

I've just added an inside latch using the actuator from West Marine shown earlier in the thread (but without the lock). Although pricey at about $44, it was cheaper than any other lever/actuator I could find.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--non-locking-f...ar--402679

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had an operating cable left over from the discarded bits of the Town and Country front seat replacement. One hole drilled in the rear latch mechanism and a bit of steel corner bracing drilled and cut did one end:

Some cutting and drilling of the West Marine actuator and another corner brace finished the other end:

It took some experimentation to get enough mechanical advantage for Mrs fxr to operate it, but she declares the end result a winner. Wink
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

I just installed the VC hatch release mechanism (found on the later models ('90 and '91?). I also added a simple parachute cord pull down where the door panel already had 2 holes (about 2.5" apart). I will add a picture of the finished product but wanted to post. This took me about 45 mins, but most of the time was measuring and prep.

I didn't have the tools referenced from HF for removing the clips, but I did have some gardening weed puller. I should have put tape on the end of the tool to not mar the paint, I didn't so I ended up w/ some scratches d'oh! .

anyways, pictures for reference if they help anyone:

MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

In reviewing this thread I have noticed that photos in my posts (and many others) are now squelched by $#@&$!! Photobucket because I'm posting to a "3rd party hosting site." Since I can't edit anything that's been posted for "86,400 minutes" and repost the original images from here, if you are interested in any of my photos from the initial post, PM me and I'm happy to respond. Others probably feel the same way.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

Contact Kam or I, we can help you out with posting new photos. It isn't the easiest task but well worth the effort for helpful "how to" threads.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

Interior hatch release was on my winter to do list for the Carrot so I researched this thread plus a couple of others for ideas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677329

I wanted a simple way to pop the hatch from inside while camping so I came up with this:

The lever is from a 3/4” plumbing ball valve. It is attached directly to the release pin on the latch assembly via a heavy bent wire hook. The red part of the lever is parallel to the door card and about 3/8” clear of it.

I am going to add a threaded eye to the centre of the door to attach a lanyard for closing the hatch.

The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

Here are a couple more images with the hatch panel hole cut and installed...

B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another design for an interior hatch release/latch Reply with quote

I like that idea!

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: