Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flashing Side Markers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Flashing Side Markers Reply with quote

Didn't see this in the archives, so decided to add a thread:

Seeing as how keeping other Bozos on the road from bending our difficult-to-replace Bay sheet metal because they're too busy with their cell phones to watch where they're going, is seems that anything we can do to increase our visibility is a Good Thing. Even though a Bay isn't all that small, it's amazing the number of times I hear (after a near-hit), "Sorry - I didn't see you."

While this modification isn't all that significant, it surely can't hurt: make the rear side marker lights flash with the turn signals.

This is an easy 30 minute change involving no modifications to the stock wiring harness (also a Good Thing.)

Here's how I did it on my '71 type 21:

1) Inspect the stock wiring going to the side marker lights. You should have a brown (ground) wire and a brown with stripe (tail light circuit) wire. On my bus, they're both terminated in 0.110 blade terminals.

2) Inspect the other end of the wire harness at the tail light. You should see the brown ground wire going to the terminal which grounds the case of the tail light, and the brown with stripe wire going to the tail lamp terminal on the tail light assembly. Each of these wires is crimped in with a second wire in their respective 0.250 terminals.

There is a third single wire going to the tail lamp assembly. This is the turn signal wire. Make a note of its location.

3) Procure the following parts:

- 2 0.110 female blade terminals, either bare or with red insulation.
- 2 0.250 female blade terminals, bare or red insulation.
- 2 0.250 female to double male adapters.
- 3 ft. of #16 wire (anything other than brown.)
- heat shrink tubing as needed.
- small wire ties, as needed.

You can also use 0.250 female terminals that have a male expander terminal in place of the female 0.250 terminals and adapters, if you can find them. While not all that common, some FLAPS stock them.

Buy good quality terminals ("Buy the best and cry once" - Gene Berg).

4) Unplug the turn signal wire from the tail light assembly. Install one of the adapters in its place; reconnect the turn signal wire to one of the available adapter terminals.

5) Make up a length of wire with a 0.250 terminal on one end and a 0.110 terminal on the other, long enough to go from the tail lamp assembly to the side marker, with a little extra for dress. Use a proper crimping tool or solder. Insulate with heat shrink, if using bare terminals.

6) Connect the 0.250 terminal of the made-up wire to the remaining adapter terminal from step #4.

7) Remove the brown ground wire from the side marker light and secure out of the way, so that it can't short out anything later. Insulate with heat shrink if it's a bare terminal.

8] Connect the 0.110 terminal end of the added wire to the now open side marker terminal.

9) Repeat all of the above for the other side marker.

What we're doing:

Normally the side marker is fed by power from the tail lamp circuit and returns to ground, thus lighting when the tail lights are on. We are removing the ground wire and feeding the return current into the turn signal circuit. Because the side marker is such a small bulb, its current flow is insignificant compared to the other lamps, thus it can 'ground' itself through the unlit turn signal bulbs. If the turn signal circuit is active and the tail lights are off, then it grounds the other way through the unlit tail lights, thus flashing along with the turn signals. If both circuits are active, then the side marker will flash alternately with the turn signals (lighting when the turn signal is off).

FWIW

TD

Last edited by telford dorr on Wed May 06, 2009 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this "how to". I've been considering this mod for a while. Of course, I've also been thinking about modding the front reflectors into actual side markers. I know that either of the front turn signal assemblies makes concession for a side marker. But I feel that one on the true side of the bus would make it more visible. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club

Last edited by 1977_L63H_P27 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. I did the same thing to the front side markers on my Jetta. Hmmm...now we need the front side markers to be illuminated and blink. Wonder why they had the rears illuminated but not the front Question

Can you post a wiring diagram?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyr supposed to light up?! Exclamation

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoispammy8 wrote:

On the later ones they do, early buses just have reflectors...

Edit: looked it up because I was curious when it started. When they went to square reflectors in '70 a bulb was added. I knew there was a reason I liked the '68-69 buses the best Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
enjoispammy8 wrote:

On the later ones they do, early buses just have reflectors...

Edit: looked it up because I was curious when it started. When they went to square reflectors in '70 a bulb was added. I knew there was a reason I liked the '68-69 buses the best Wink

whew, thats a relief. Laughing im missing mine, and this thread got me wondering if i was missing all the wirering too! thank god all ill have to do is by reflectors, no micky mouse wirering for me!

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brown_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this telford . I am replacing my houising and seals for my tail lighst soon. I will add this process in.

Not sure if I want to do the front reflectors. Not comfortable cutting the doors. But regardless thanks for that tutorial dwill.

I wonder if a smaller light, such as an led could be used on the front reflecters, allowing for a smaller hole...?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wonder if a smaller light, such as an led could be used on the front reflectors, allowing for a smaller hole...?

Possibly.
Electrically, no problem, although you would have to add a full-wave diode bridge, so that the LED would light up regardless of polarity.
Some LEDs have a narrow angle of light output, so they may not light up the lens the same as a light bulb. I would recommend bench development before cutting any holes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some thing close to the led side markers, what I did was make independent blinkers.
I ran wires direct from the front blinkers with a inline resistor.
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
Vwman55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Its been done.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=

What Stern suggests will work, but it puts the 2 bulbs in series. They will be dimmer and always on, parking lights on = side marker and turn signal filamet on, flasher on(parking off) = side marker and parking light on and parking light on, flasher on = side marker and turn signal on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: