Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, thanks guys, I love this van

progress as of today:

found bad thermo-switch for fan, and found a crack in the coolant reservoir

bought a nice brand new 60 dollar engine stand off of craigslist for 30 bucks!

i should get the engine out once i get some vehicle ramps. Can you guys recommend some car ramps for lifting up the rear enough to get out the engine? i was thinking of getting the plastic "rhino ramps", any good?
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add, the term "deferred maintnance" seems to have been the downfall of many a Vanagon. Be preparred to be the first one to have given her any love for a decade.

The third picture of you bent over grabbing your ankles will define your relationship well with this ride. Laughing

Welcome and enjoy!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

errolprowse....you got a good attitude, and one nice looking ride to boot.

..sometimes ....when your trying to track down a gremlin....think about the atom.....its allways been there.....it just took time to find it!!

Seek slowly, and sooner than later youll find the gremlin and when you do it will feel as you just kicked the winning field goal in the Super Bowl Very Happy
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavanagon wrote:
Dear Stoked One,

If I had a sweet ass vanagon like yours when I was your age, I would be just as stoked as you seem! A few bits of advice:

Search this forum. It has more info than any Haynes/Bentley/ebay cd put together! There are years of knowledge and professional (and some unprofessional) expertise here. If you are doing it, then it has been done 200 times before! I have found Van-Cafe to by my best source for parts. Personally, I have not had the greatest of luck w/ ebay. Also, search thesamba classifieds. I picked up a pair of AMC heads for $200, in great condition. It all depends on what your budget is!

Get the Bentley, search this forum, ask when you get stuck, you will love your van. Welcome to the Vanagon Owners Club.

good info, thanks
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questio Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
errolprowse wrote:
I bought a 1989 water cooled vanagon gl

my dads a mechanic and sayed I need new cylinder heads, gasket set, the temperature sensor for the fan, and periodic tune up stuff and new fluids. I also plan on changing all fuel lines, replacing some seals for the engine compartment door,

Well Errol, I do understand that one must stick to a certain budget and the greenback reality cannot be ignored.
I had 3 1/2 vanagons before I am on my fourth one. My view on the matter is that I would not even drop a single dollar of that wonderful stimulus aid package or whatever charities are called today on a doomed design. It is just like that wonderful gift from our Loving Big Daddy throwing good money after bad. The heads will leak again
and again
and again.
If and I say --IF-- you can afford a conversion that is the only way to go.
Incidentally, I just discovered from this thread that Haynes was publishing a manual for the WBX. The only one I could locate and own since my doomed VW/Corvair Westfalia was only for air cooled beasts.

Good luck, very sincerely

i dont mind as much work as its going to take to fix it, my dad isnt spending any money on this and im spending only mine, i moved out over a year ago and im 18, i have two jobs and im a full time college student getting good grades. I like what the vanagon has and i want a vanagon, so i will fix one and use it till it dies, with my own money.
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questio Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
VisPacem wrote:
The heads will leak again
and again
and again.

Yes the heads will fail again and again even if properly installed, but since the failure interval is about 300K for a well rebuilt engine it is no big deal. I am not against doing a conversion, I own one and may do another, but new heads on a good rebuilt are not that much of a problem.

haha, i dont think 300k is any problem, especially considering my commute and how close the beach is for me
(what i love about the vanagon is that i can bring all my kiteboarding equipment, surf boards, skimboards all to the beach)
i hate thinking about it considering i still have to fix it!
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikibus wrote:
Sweet ride! Damn, I wish I was 20+ years old again...
You've got a grade A stabbin' Wagon. Shocked

Bentley, Hanes, very good to have both. Cross reference.
There are mountains of info here, just use the search. Luke.

The first sojourn in the ownership is to check vacuum hoses and clean them there grounds! Makes a world of difference and you don't need a manual to do that.

Cheers to your new ride and look up a Z-bed for your people mover.

Thanks! It was hard for me to not jump up and down when i bought it

sounds good, ill start on that first thing in the morning
and your right about information on this site, i found some guy who showed pictures on how to step by step install cylinder heads on here, thanks!
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley is published here in the USA in MA.
Ask me how I know....
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ride! Damn, I wish I was 20+ years old again...
You've got a grade A stabbin' Wagon. Shocked

Bentley, Hanes, very good to have both. Cross reference.
There are mountains of info here, just use the search. Luke.

The first sojourn in the ownership is to check vacuum hoses and clean them there grounds! Makes a world of difference and you don't need a manual to do that.

Cheers to your new ride and look up a Z-bed for your people mover.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same thing.
Robert Bently is the Publisher and most people just call it the Bently.
So that said.....The Bently is authorized to Publish Official Factory Repair Manuals.
They publish them for Audi and BMW and even Rolls Royce (spelling??)
and a whole slew of auto makers.

You can get a brand new one from Van Cafe for your year ( check out their web-site) or you can scout around for a used one on flea-bay or craigs list or here on the Samba used parts listing.

Its a real good book to have. Very Happy
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Its called the Bently....not the car but the official factory repair manual.
You can find them on The Samba or on E-bay or you can get one from many of the online parts houses like Bus Depot or Go-Westy or Van Cafe.

They are available for different years of Vanagons/Westys
ok but it all sounds confusing when people say the vw fac or bentley Confused
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questio Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
The heads will leak again
and again
and again.

Yes the heads will fail again and again even if properly installed, but since the failure interval is about 300K for a well rebuilt engine it is no big deal. I am not against doing a conversion, I own one and may do another, but new heads on a good rebuilt are not that much of a problem.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questio Reply with quote

errolprowse wrote:
I bought a 1989 water cooled vanagon gl

my dads a mechanic and sayed I need new cylinder heads, gasket set, the temperature sensor for the fan, and periodic tune up stuff and new fluids. I also plan on changing all fuel lines, replacing some seals for the engine compartment door,

Well Errol, I do understand that one must stick to a certain budget and the greenback reality cannot be ignored.
I had 3 1/2 vanagons before I am on my fourth one. My view on the matter is that I would not even drop a single dollar of that wonderful stimulus aid package or whatever charities are called today on a doomed design. It is just like that wonderful gift from our Loving Big Daddy throwing good money after bad. The heads will leak again
and again
and again.
If and I say --IF-- you can afford a conversion that is the only way to go.
Incidentally, I just discovered from this thread that Haynes was publishing a manual for the WBX. The only one I could locate and own since my doomed VW/Corvair Westfalia was only for air cooled beasts.

Good luck, very sincerely

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called the Bently....not the car but the official factory repair manual.
You can find them on The Samba or on E-bay or you can get one from many of the online parts houses like Bus Depot or Go-Westy or Van Cafe.

They are available for different years of Vanagons/Westys
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the VW Factory Manual?? i'm yet to run across one Confused
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stoked One,

If I had a sweet ass vanagon like yours when I was your age, I would be just as stoked as you seem! A few bits of advice:

Search this forum. It has more info than any Haynes/Bentley/ebay cd put together! There are years of knowledge and professional (and some unprofessional) expertise here. If you are doing it, then it has been done 200 times before! I have found Van-Cafe to by my best source for parts. Personally, I have not had the greatest of luck w/ ebay. Also, search thesamba classifieds. I picked up a pair of AMC heads for $200, in great condition. It all depends on what your budget is!

Get the Bentley, search this forum, ask when you get stuck, you will love your van. Welcome to the Vanagon Owners Club.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see, i just got the tracking number for my bentley (i will have it tomorrow), so i will study it like my college text books, hopefully everything i need will be in there.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the Bentley, Haynes, or much of any other manual that I know of is going to give you very good step by step instructions on how to pull an engine, maybe Muir's Idiot book would be the best. Check Ratwell.com for information that applies primarily to air cooled buses, but would be very similar to water cooled as far as engine pulling goes, and check Ben's website, his stuff is water cooled Vanagon specific. Everything you want to know is probably on the pages of Samba as well, get familiar with the search function.
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found out my dads going to help me put the cylinder heads and stuff on but i have to do it all myself at home.

what i need:
guide to taking out the engine on my 1989 vanagon gl
instructions for changing cylinder heads/ gaskets
How to take the engine out at home (thinking some jacks with a engine lift, any tips?)

i just ordered the bentley manual, does this manual have what i need?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

Yeah ......... get a Haynes Manual and while your at it, get an interpreter as well! And, almost every page there's something about being careful, precautions, go back to another page, etc.

Nothing beats a Bentley, unless its an official VW Factory Manual!

My two cents!

Welcome and enjoy your Vanagon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: