Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Laptop Mount
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
garrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Laptop Mount Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm planning to mount a small laptop (eeePC 901) in my Westy to use for navigation and entertainment. Anyone have experience with the RAM laptop mount in a Vanagon ? Looks like a robust device but not sure if the installation works out well for rotating seats.
pighamling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like this.

http://www.vanagonaccessories.com/vanagoncomputertray.html
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean this?
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetail...fault.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this, yet, but ive had it on my list of stuff to buy for about a year now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350102890922

It will only work if your laptop is on the small-ish side, but if your thinking about mounting it in your van, it probably is already.

best of all, its about $30 shipped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I was looking at for my "vanputer".
It's made by Ram, should work fine, but I'm not sure I really need a mount.

I would mount it for my wife on the passenger side, but I'm not sure it just won't cluter up the dash even more.
Nytebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Platform size Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I haven't tried this, yet, but ive had it on my list of stuff to buy for about a year now:

It will only work if your laptop is on the small-ish side, but if your thinking about mounting it in your van, it probably is already.

How big is the platform? Would it hold a MacBook? Have you mounted this? It looks like an incredibly reasonable solution for videos.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

I had this, wasn't impressed. It's basically made up of a few sections of steel pipe like you can buy at Home Depot, a few elbows and 15 degree elbows so you can mix and match to get the platform to the right angle. All thepiping is covered by a plastic corrugated hose to give it a finished look. The only piece you couldn't buy yourself for less than $10 total is the acrylic piece the laptop sits on.

My complaints? Never could get it to just the right angle, had to break out the pipe wrenches to tighten or adjust, after a while the joints would loosen from the vibrations of the van going down the road. And then the acrylic piece broke, and I was left with spare plumbing parts. The seller will sell the acrylic piece by itself as a spare part, but by that time I no longer cared to keep the mount, so I went in a different direction, I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm not mistaken that first piece of wood screwed to the dash looks like a piece of wood screwed to your dash? Shocked

The "Ram" mount looks cool, remove when parked. Wink
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon Accessories Dash mount actually uses a block that fits into the ashtray slot and a bolt clamp arrangements so there is no damage to the dash.

I thought it was a great idea. The only issue is that it does not protect against shock. I am trying to come up with a modification. I am thinking of changing the 3/4" plywood into 2 pieces of 3 or 5 ply Marine 1/8" thick plywood separated by some small rubber mounts.

It is one of many little projects that I still have to do. I have a shopping list to get done to pass Safety and I only have 2 weeks left before a planned trip, so the mount is going to have to wait.

I am working on upgrading the Front Turn Signal Sockets to something modern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you all for the great ideas ! Some thoughtful solutions have been found to tackle this problem.

I like the RAM seat-bolt mount. Looks quite solid. It is the costlier solution though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: