Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dip Switch Settings on a VDO Tachometer
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Dip Switch Settings on a VDO Tachometer Reply with quote

So I just got my tach installed but haven't affixed the dashboard yet and thought I'd reconfirm the dip switch settings, since there have been a few contradictory statements here and the VDO instruction sheet.

First, the numbers on the dip switches seem to indicate the switches are installed upside down relative to the rest of the tach. I.e. if I have the tach right side up so the connecting pins run along the bottom and their numbers are rightside up, and the two light bulbs are above these, then the dip switches at the top left read upside down. I assume it makes no difference as long as 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 3 is 3. SO...

The VDO came programmed UP DOWN UP. But it wasn't set necessarily for 4 cyl so that doesn't matter.

The VDO Instructions PDF says for 4 cyl the settings should be Down Up Up.

The Samba post I read says the VDO is WRONG. It should be
1 2 3
UP DOWN DOWN

Which is exactly the opposite of the sheet. I went off the Samba advice, but I'd like a little confirmation! I can't just hook up and test because the gas tank still needs to be hooked up plus a new FP regulator installed...
Thanks in advance!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the dip switch settings for 4 cyl were wrong in the instruction sheet like 5 years ago. I'm not sure about current instructions. You would think VDO has corrected that by now. So if what they say now is correct, and you set it opposite for the fix that was needed years ago, you could be setting it wrong. Like you say, hopefully some one can confirm this.
Don't rule out the possibilty for needing the 1N4005 Diode to cure the erratic and/or bouncey needle syndrome. That gets spliced/soldered into the tach lead off the coil, with the silver band on the tach side. Radio Shack sells them.
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the newness of the instructions...the tach didn't come with any; I just downloaded the PDF from the internet. The scan might not have changed in a few years.... and I did get the diode in there, so bouncy needle syndrome shouldn't come to plague me! Anyone else?

1977 2.0 FI Westy
jbbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
I know the dip switch settings for 4 cyl were wrong in the instruction sheet like 5 years ago. I'm not sure about current instructions. You would think VDO has corrected that by now. So if what they say now is correct, and you set it opposite for the fix that was needed years ago, you could be setting it wrong. Like you say, hopefully some one can confirm this.
Don't rule out the possibilty for needing the 1N4005 Diode to cure the erratic and/or bouncey needle syndrome. That gets spliced/soldered into the tach lead off the coil, with the silver band on the tach side. Radio Shack sells them.

Been there done that. A diode/capacitor was needed on mine as well. Frustrating that these symptoms can't be worked out over the years. How many people get a new VDO Tach and have to suffer thru this crap. Brick wall

73 Super Beetle (sold),78 Triple White Vert, 74 Westy, 2008 City Jetta, 2008 Audi A4 2.0 T, 2009 Teardrop Trailer. 2009 Suzuki SV650A
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no y'all don't!

BUMP!

Razz

1977 2.0 FI Westy
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncy needle? I have a VDO Cockpit Series, black, in my Squareback (for over 10 years) and have never, ever had this issue. What series has this issue?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my VDO tach just recently, as per their specs.
Everything works as it should.

My advice is follow a manufacturer's specs until something doesn't work as intended, then resort to internet advice.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krautski wrote:
I installed my VDO tach just recently, as per their specs.
Everything works as it should.

My advice is follow a manufacturer's specs until something doesn't work as intended, then resort to internet advice.

So what specs did you use? 123, down up up?

From here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977 2.0 FI Westy
TRN9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble with mine a few years ago. It turned out that my dip switches were installed upside-down Mad It took me forever to figure that one out. So just double check which way the #'s are printed.
tripp0090
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just put mine in about a week ago 04/09/09 and the directions were correct on is down and off is up you will also need to go to radio shack and get a diode #N4005. it goes on the wire that goes from the tach to the coil. the ends of the diode are a little long and you can trim them. the side with the white/silver line goes facing the tach and the other end facing the coil. pm me if you want pics of mine.

1978 Transporter SOLD

www.TroyTemplin.com
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRN9 wrote:
I had trouble with mine a few years ago. It turned out that my dip switches were installed upside-down Mad It took me forever to figure that one out. So just double check which way the #'s are printed.

YEAH! Mine are upside down, too! So I just turned it over to read the numbers properly. Once I do that, do I follow the vDO sheet that say
1 2 3
on off off
down up up

1977 2.0 FI Westy
cardinal0128
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelingwriter,

Was the issue that you were getting a jumping / unsteady needle while the engine was running? I tried the diode but haven't considered adjusting the switches- not sure if I have those. The gauge I'm using is a 4000RPM unit.
1965 Jeep CJ-5
2002 Jetta TDI
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone ought to make a sticky out of this entire issue. Consider what everyone has said on this current topic and what has been remarked on previous threads regarding the VDO tach problems. And it's not just here on the BayWindow section. And, why in the world do some owners need the diode when others don't? It's like a 50-50 deal where they work fine with no probs, or you need a diode, or you need to set the switches in reverse of the instructions. VDO shouldn't be confounding us vintage VW owners with their products. They were the gauge manufacturers of VW's, why is their add-on tach so problematic?
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody '71 wrote:
Someone ought to make a sticky out of this entire issue. Consider what everyone has said on this current topic and what has been remarked on previous threads regarding the VDO tach problems. And it's not just here on the BayWindow section. And, why in the world do some owners need the diode when others don't? It's like a 50-50 deal where they work fine with no probs, or you need a diode, or you need to set the switches in reverse of the instructions. VDO shouldn't be confounding us vintage VW owners with their products. They were the gauge manufacturers of VW's, why is their add-on tach so problematic?

Ha ha! Hence the precise wording of my question's subject line!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardinal0128 wrote:
Travelingwriter,

Was the issue that you were getting a jumping / unsteady needle while the engine was running? I tried the diode but haven't considered adjusting the switches- not sure if I have those. The gauge I'm using is a 4000RPM unit.

No, I never had a tach before! So I read about the jumpy needle, figured a diode would be easy and cheap so I just hooked it up. the settings on the back are for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines... I guess in a few days when the bus is up and running (I just put on the new FP Regulator and the rest of the gas lines), I'll do some testing and post it back here for future reference...

1977 2.0 FI Westy
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed a VDO tach into the instrument cluster of both a 1971 and 1972 bay window bus. I followed the instructions for the dip switches per VDO and I never had an issue. I did not install a diode as has been discussed and my tachs always worked well without any bouncy needle movements. The 1971 tach was installed more than 20 years ago and the 1972 tach was installed roughly 6 months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbbrown wrote:
Been there done that. A diode/capacitor was needed on mine as well. Frustrating that these symptoms can't be worked out over the years. How many people get a new VDO Tach and have to suffer thru this crap.

Can you post details of this input network (R = ?, C = ?, etc.) I assume it's a low-pass filter (R, D in series, C to ground; D polarized to pull down the tach line.) Planning on adding the VDO tach to my 71, and don't like the idea if running raw unfiltered points signal all the way to the front of the bus (multi-100 volt levels on the points wire = massive EMI.) Thanks.

TD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
jbbrown wrote:
Been there done that. A diode/capacitor was needed on mine as well. Frustrating that these symptoms can't be worked out over the years. How many people get a new VDO Tach and have to suffer thru this crap.

Can you post details of this input network (R = ?, C = ?, etc.) I assume it's a low-pass filter (R, D in series, C to ground; D polarized to pull down the tach line.) Planning on adding the VDO tach to my 71, and don't like the idea if running raw unfiltered points signal all the way to the front of the bus (multi-100 volt levels on the points wire = massive EMI.) Thanks.

TD

For the life of me I can't understand the need for the diode. Like I said, I ran a VDO tach in my bus for well over 20 years with zero issues or problems. If it's not broken, why fix it? My stereo cranked out the tunes Dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well, in a day or two, I'll rig up the Tach with NO diode and the dip switch settings as per VDO: Down Up Up. I'll post results as I have them...

1977 2.0 FI Westy
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero,

I can see why you don't see the need for the diode, having a 20 year old VDO tach that probably didn't need one, nor a current production model that needs one either. There was a production run of the VDO tachs years back that were sh*t outta the box with improper instructions. Many found that the diode was the only fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: