Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollycanon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT Reply with quote

I have the origional seats in my '73. The origional black vinyl is in really good condition, but man do they get HOT in the sun. Has anyone made "custom" seat covers or bought them. I'm handy with a sewing machine, so I'm thinking of making some that will slip over the orrigional upholstery.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT Reply with quote

hollycanon wrote:
I have the origional seats in my '73. The origional black vinyl is in really good condition, but man do they get HOT in the sun. Has anyone made "custom" seat covers or bought them. I'm handy with a sewing machine, so I'm thinking of making some that will slip over the orrigional upholstery.

I'm a fan of sheepskin myself, but there are lots of options. Seatcovers.net will give you some ideas.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem with the wifes bug convertable. She said the seats get to hot in summer sun. So before I put new seat covers on I tried the white upholtry paint on just bottom half of rear seat, from pep boys.It looks good from about 5 feet, but not great .My seats were orig. it had that sort of plastic" weave". If your seats are smooth material I think it would come out really good.Might be worth a try
hollycanon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding-
Which fit (universal, semi-custon, or custom) did you get for your seat covers.
I agree that sheepkin would be nice, but I'm leaning toward tweed for ease of cleaning. Uor thing is going to spend lots of time in the desert and beach so washable fabric is my preference, the wetsuit material is also an option.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of new, very high quality, front seat covers that are off white. I wonder how they would fight heat? Herr K has racecraft suspension seat that have blue tweed. They never get hot..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollycanon wrote:
Captain Spalding-
Which fit (universal, semi-custon, or custom) did you get for your seat covers.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I was just doing a little courtesy googling. I don't have any seat covers myself. I have tan seats, which aren't nearly as hot as black.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Hollycanon is looking for seat covers like the ones they sell when you restore the seat w/ foam and hook clips thingy's. Not just the slip on local auto store covers. If I'm right Hollycanon TMI makes alot of covers.I dont know if they have wet suit ones but you can check. Capt. , your seats look great,love the color.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The off white front sets I have are off white TMI Very good quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine dont get hot. I got them from the thing shop and had a friend help install them

[/img]
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just always used beach towels over the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black vinyl is indeed too hot for a convertible car. My seats are beige (as is the top), but they're showing age. I'm thinking of having them reupholstered in black denim, as my future top will be black. Still hot in the sun, but much less than vinyl...
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hollycanon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ones from the thing shop except for the price. I need to keep this to about $15o or less for the whole car. Has anyone bought some good slip on covers? I've tried a few and they are very slick over the vinyl. Hence the idea of makeing them myself.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
hollycanon wrote:

I'm a fan of sheepskin myself, but there are lots of options. Seatcovers.net will give you some ideas.

I just ordered leopard print seat covers from www.seatcovers.net. I'll post a review once I get them
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT Reply with quote

dborell wrote:
Captain Spalding wrote:
hollycanon wrote:

I just ordered leopard print seat covers from www.seatcovers.net. I'll post a review once I get them
I wonder if they can do the rears too... If only they offered the neoprene in orange.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.drivingcompany.com have some very nice ones real nice made from sheep pelts .They are custom made to your year car and model as you order. But get this $500 pair I hope you get what you pay for, they sure do look comfortable. But $500 they better be real comfy
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of mine.

They appear to have been done in the spirit of Plush comfort and I always keep them covered up and miss the ability to not give a shit when it rains a bit and the top is off. Got some ol' concert t-shirts and a beach towel? If the seats are in OK shape, roll with them and do the other necessaries.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seat cover patterns-The black vinyl is HOT Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
I wonder if they can do the rears too... If only they offered the neoprene in orange.

Found:
http://www.autoanything.com/seat-covers/67A1484A0A0.aspx
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Pics of mine.

Are those covers or re-upholstered? I'm guessing the latter.
hollycanon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian-I'm liking the neoprene seat covers you found but ouch on the price.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
Mine dont get hot. I got them from the thing shop and had a friend help install them

I really like your seat upholstery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: