Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

Bike riding in teton park was super rad yesterday, plowed roads, but no cars allowed till beginning of may, for anybody in the area, I highly recommend it.

My wife and I do it every year always a good time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They do the same thing in Yellowstone, but for some reason they opened the roads there to cars already this year...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, that is sweet
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiking it ain't bad either.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, but theres still about 11 feet of snow around those parts right now Shocked

I might actually get up on top of the grand this year Cool

Nice pic!

Samba ad here.

SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I sure do miss those parts.The wife and I worked for the Teton Lodge Co. back in 01'. It was nice livin' right in the park! We roughed it in an old(1968) Airsteam,man we froze!!!!Will get back someday.......
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

Bump!

Right now is the place. for anyone close by, tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 50's and sunny, should be an excellent day for a bike ride in Teton park with no cars around. I did just call the park and the road has been plowed.

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

Had the Chopper bike over there last time,

Going to bring the tall bike this year,

Samba ad here.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

Yosemite is also nice this time of year. I take my Vanagon there (vanagon content added)

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Fracas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

there are a bunch of roads here in Alberta and BC they close over the winter for animal Migration. they are awesome to ride on.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Yosemite is also nice this time of year. I take my Vanagon there (vanagon content added)

But cars are allowed on the roads in April in Yosemite, yea? Thats where Teton park is special, no cars allowed for the month of April, road to yourself!

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

And here is our van on the north end of the park (not in the park) with bikes on the back!

Samba ad here.

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

HWY 242 or old McKenzie pass is the same. Gates locked for another month, roads clear-snow along side. Ride up from the South entrance, stay in Sisters and then wake up for a great 36 mile downhill ride.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

But cars are allowed on the roads in April in Yosemite, yea? Thats where Teton park is special, no cars allowed for the month of April, road to yourself!

the tioga pass road in yosemite is typically closed to cars until some time in may. the valley roads are usually year around, although once we did get stranded in the valley do to snow, winter can be a great time to rock climb so long as it is not actually snowing during the climb.

bikes are great there too, mid week is best traffic wise. if you plan to rent a bike from the park concession bums, bring a bike tire pump as they keep the 60 psi rated tires at about 25 psi, cause they tell me it makes it safer. they dont want you go fast!!! the little hill up to mirror lake is posted that you must walk the rental bikes! private bikes can be riden. they dont trust anyone on their bikes. rode up to the tunnel view one time on the rental. returned the rental (with proper air pressuere) and they asked how the ride was, told them where I went and they fraked out, oh your not supposed to ride on a steep hill (it aint that steep) bunch of sissys run the park. eliminate camp sites, trail head parking, (in the name of returning things to nature) but they are expanding the valet parking for their hotel ( a very expnsive hotel that has wine tasting parties) common folk are not wanted there, but the limo crowd is welcome. bastards!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in teton park, do in now, before may. Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
HWY 242 or old McKenzie pass is the same. Gates locked for another month, roads clear-snow along side.

Do they plow this to open it up for bikes/walking, but keep cars out?

I'd love to have a list of roads like this around the high country of the PNW!

bluebus86 wrote:

the tioga pass road in yosemite is typically closed to cars until some time in may.

I thought they didn't plow that till May though, yea? Would be a beautiful bike ride! But also a tough one with all the climbing.

Freshly plowed roads in Teton park today, 55*, sunny, and no wind, near perfect for a leisurely 20 mile bike ride (minimal climbing) with lunch at the snow/ice covered Jenny lake.

Samba ad here.

Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

There is a small window of time when North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20 through North Cascades National Park from Diablo to Early Winters) is plowed and clear for bike riding before they open it to cars. Flat- no. Beautiful- yes.
James
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

Awesome. I wish I was there!

I ---could--- drive my van TODAY (but gotta put lotsa stuff back on!)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

Teton park road is currently plowed and clear of snow but closed to cars till the 30th of April, for anyone in the region, this saturday is looking pretty good weather wise, 53* F and sunny, best to get there in the AM so the sun is in the east sky and the teton are bathed in sun as opposed to backlit by sun as is the case in the afternoon. This really is one of the more fantastic times/places to ride a bicycle.

Samba ad here.

86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

Teton is our favorite park. We're always there in the Summer due to kid's and wife's school schedule but man would I love to ride it in winter! I bet Jenny Lake with snow all around is spectacular too. Only 13 years to retirement!

Cool bikes Mark. I installed my lift supports today. Amazing difference!

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

Sweet bikes! That things crazy!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bike riding in Teton Park: do it now, before May. Reply with quote

86scotty wrote:
Teton is our favorite park. We're always there in the Summer due to kid's and wife's school schedule but man would I love to ride it in winter! I bet Jenny Lake with snow all around is spectacular too. Only 13 years to retirement!

Jenny Lake is likely still frozen, pretty close to thawing though by now, its been a warm spring.

Teton park isn't all that big, but it's hard to beat for big mountain views right off the road!

86scotty wrote:
I installed my lift supports today. Amazing difference!

Good to hear it Cool

86scotty wrote:
Cool bikes Mark.

IdahoDoug wrote:
Sweet bikes! That things crazy!

I built the chopper back in 1997, as far as I know it holds the Chopper bike land speed record, 49 MPH down Teton pass, it has way taller gears on it now and on paper should hit 60 MPH down teton pass, but it hasn't happened yet, now that I'm in my 40's the though of 60 MPH on that chopper is a touch disconcerting...

The old posts are me and my wife on what may be the world's most high performance Sturmey archer 3 speeds, full "resto-mod" rebuilds on both of them, mine even has a Ti bottom bracket Laughing I really do like the 3 speed internally geared hub, with lightweight rims they are really fun bikes.

The tall bike is really neat, you can track stand it like a boss, as bikes are inverted pendulums, the taller they are the easier they balance, balancing a pencil vertically on your finger vs a broom, the broom is far easier. I did build it so when a pedal is at it lowest point you can still get your foot on it so you can start/stop easily from flat ground.

Samba ad here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: