Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

I was wondering would the color on the bus below be considered a bad match for Sea Blue or is it a totally different color?

I’m askimg because I actually like the shade and wanted to know if anyone might know what the color combo is if not a bad match for Sea Blue and Cumulus White?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

The bus in the picture looks more like Dodgers blue to me. Sea blue is much darker. The white looks about right for Cummulus White.
gerry41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Sea blue/cumulus white
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Anyone know what color this bus is painted? Anyone know the bus? I'm trying to determine the color. Thank you for any help you might provide to me.

Spitty1974 wrote:
I was wondering would the color on the bus below be considered a bad match for Sea Blue or is it a totally different color?

I’m askimg because I actually like the shade and wanted to know if anyone might know what the color combo is if not a bad match for Sea Blue and Cumulus White?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

I would say it's either a bad match for Sea Blue or somehow the lighting or some sort of photo filter is so crazy that it looks much lighter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would say it's either a bad match for Sea Blue or somehow the lighting or some sort of photo filter is so crazy that it looks much lighter.

Thanks!

Curious, does anyone know who owns the bus above in my original post and or the color?

I really like the color and was hoping to figure out the name or code.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

So, I found the auction that I believe had this bus for sale. In the sale info it states that a company by the name of Classic Showcase out of Oceanside, California did the restoration. In the details, it states the bus was painted Dove Blue and Pearl White.

So, what do the experts think, is it Dove Blue and Pearl White, or did the auction site have it wrong?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO14/Monterey/l...bus/181095
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

I still say No on Sea Blue, they did the wrong shade.

I don't think it's Pearl White either as it looks too bright to me but that could be the photos.
Pearl White is also wrong for a 1966 Sea Blue 21-Window.
It should be Cumulus White.

The auction text says it has a 1500cc engine too - I doubt it since it's dual port. I bet it's a 1600. Gross chrome engine tin too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I don't think it's Pearl White either as it looks too bright to me but that could be the photos.

The auction text says it has a 1500cc engine too - I doubt it since it's dual port. I bet it's a 1600. Gross chrome engine tin too.

I agree, in your opinion, is the blue on the bus I posted Dove Blue? I'm trying to determine what the blue is because I like it, albeit not the correct blue for my 1966 bus.

Also, if the white paint is too bright, what else do you think the color might be besides Cumulus White?

I have a message out to the company referenced in the auction as the place that completed the restoration inquiring about the paint color.

Thanks for the info and opinions.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I agree, in your opinion, is the blue on the bus I posted Dove Blue? I'm trying to determine what the blue is because I like it, albeit not the correct blue for my 1966 bus.

Also, if the white paint is too bright, what else do you think the color might be besides Cumulus White?

I have a message out to the company referenced in the auction as the place that completed the restoration inquiring about the paint color.

No on Dove Blue.

I don't know on White, it could be any bright white.
I have seen so many Buses with the wrong white it's impossible to know.
The original Pearl White or Cumulus White are sort of an off white that doesn't look very white in some lighting.
Pearl White is less white, it looks like a light tan sometimes.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Spitty1974 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

No on Dove Blue.

I don't know on White, it could be any bright white.
I have seen so many Buses with the wrong white it's impossible to know.
The original Pearl White or Cumulus White are sort of an off white that doesn't look very white in some lighting.
Pearl White is less white, it looks like a light tan sometimes.

Okay, let's take a deep breath. That bus is not Dove blue. But in defiance of Everett- it photographs very much so as Sea Blue. And comparing a sunlit shot to one at night is ridiculous to anyone with eyeballs, a camera or both. I own an original paint Sea Blue '66 deluxe. And that is SB/CW- just with saturated color due to the photography in the first shot- but the auction shots tell the story.

But both you guys need to take a closer look- there are two different buses being referenced as the ONE from the auction- unless the body trim insert was changed along with the tires and they moved the antenna from one side of the nose to the other. Wink

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
The bus in the picture looks more like Dodgers blue to me. Sea blue is much darker. The white looks about right for Cummulus White.

I agree with hitest after looking at the auction pictures. The one photo posted in the bright light is deceiving. In the auction pics that are shaded, it looks spot on for Sea Blue. The white looked right for Cumulus all along. I think Cumulus White is the brightest white for stock split bus colors? It's like refrigerator white (or a cumulus cloud which was vw's idea all along) Cool .
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

And, that's why I love this website. Thanks for the information, and hawk eyes noticing that I was referencing two different buses.

I contacted the company who did the resto. They got back to me and told me they had no information regarding the paint, go figure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

What 2 different Buses?

I only see him posting this one:

Edit:
I figured it out, the 2nd one was the auction Bus:
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO14/Monterey/l...bus/181095

Sorry for any confusion I caused with my replies.

The auction Bus above could be Sea Blue, it certainly looks dark Blue in the engine compartment shot.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, hopefully it didn't get too off topic from the Sea Blue conversation.

I really liked the color shade of the blue in the saturated picture that I originally posted, which was not the same bus as the Auction bus I totally was out to lunch on that one.

I was hoping to get some info about the specific paint on that bus, but no luck.

I see what you meant by the engine compartment in the Auction bus being is spot on Sea Blue.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Ok folks, I need some help again. I’ve seriously read all pages of this thread numerous times, and I’m still confused.

I’m about 90% sure that I’m painting my bus sea blue. However, I’m still confused as to which is correct for a bus. Some seem to swear it’s Sea Blue 1 and others say Sea Blue two. My painter is telling me
2. I have to give him a final decision by Friday.

When I look at the color chart samples in this thread, it appears that Blue 2 is lighter and sea blue one is darker. However, I’ve seen a type 1 this weekend in oringinal paint sea blue 1 and it appeared lighter than the paint sample my painter had. The paint sample was Sea Blue 2 PPG, but not concept, was their lower fleet line of paint. So, this just adds to the confusion.

All I know is I like the shade in the following pictures. These are from Samba, a guy named Mark used PPG concept, and said this was Sea Blue 2. Ive sent him a PM But didn’t hear back. If anyone know him, can you reach out to him, I’m wondering if he has the code that was used? He lives in S. Ca.

To add to my confusion, I see photos like this one that I previously posted that show the color to appear to be lighter in the saturated light. I think previously people determined it was Sea Blue, and it’s just the light and exposure, but is it Sea Blue 1 or 2.

In the end, I like the color in the three photos of Mark’s bus I posted. I’m wondering if there would be a variation between a PPG concept color of sea blue versus a PPG fleet line paint in terms of the end color. My painter says they look the same and the only difference is price. He said the concept and lower line paint and buff the same with no difference.

At any point, looking for some suggestions, opinions, or insight about getting the color like Mark’s bus pictures I posted.

I’ll post up the pictures of the Sea Blue PPG regular line up against a original type 1 Sea Blue vehicle.

Looking forward to what you all have to add to the ever elusive sea blue quest.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Pictures of a paint sample off PPG regular line Sea Blue 2 paint up against a original sea blue type 1

Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

BUMP*******

Does anyone know how to get a hold
Of Mark, he posted about the Sea Blue he used? I like the color he came up with and was hoping to get the PPG Concept Code he used. I tried a Samba PM but never heard back.

Anyone have modern codes for the Sea Blue in PPG Concept? My painter uses Shopline PPG and has told me that his paint shop doesn’t have codes for Sea Blue in Concept.

If you do Know Mark, can you ask him to
Check this thread? I know he lives in Southern California and May gonto OCTO.

Spitty1974 wrote:
Ok folks, I need some help again. I’ve seriously read all pages of this thread numerous times, and I’m still confused.

I’m about 90% sure that I’m painting my bus sea blue. However, I’m still confused as to which is correct for a bus. Some seem to swear it’s Sea Blue 1 and others say Sea Blue two. My painter is telling me
2. I have to give him a final decision by Friday.

When I look at the color chart samples in this thread, it appears that Blue 2 is lighter and sea blue one is darker. However, I’ve seen a type 1 this weekend in oringinal paint sea blue 1 and it appeared lighter than the paint sample my painter had. The paint sample was Sea Blue 2 PPG, but not concept, was their lower fleet line of paint. So, this just adds to the confusion.

All I know is I like the shade in the following pictures. These are from Samba, a guy named Mark used PPG concept, and said this was Sea Blue 2. Ive sent him a PM But didn’t hear back. If anyone know him, can you reach out to him, I’m wondering if he has the code that was used? He lives in S. Ca.

To add to my confusion, I see photos like this one that I previously posted that show the color to appear to be lighter in the saturated light. I think previously people determined it was Sea Blue, and it’s just the light and exposure, but is it Sea Blue 1 or 2.

In the end, I like the color in the three photos of Mark’s bus I posted. I’m wondering if there would be a variation between a PPG concept color of sea blue versus a PPG fleet line paint in terms of the end color. My painter says they look the same and the only difference is price. He said the concept and lower line paint and buff the same with no difference.

At any point, looking for some suggestions, opinions, or insight about getting the color like Mark’s bus pictures I posted.

I’ll post up the pictures of the Sea Blue PPG regular line up against a original type 1 Sea Blue vehicle.

Looking forward to what you all have to add to the ever elusive sea blue quest.
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

its the lighting that confuses- all photos from my bus, just painted.

Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Hi splitty1974

There’s a thread on the ssvc website that has some paint formulas. Any use?

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&am...60#p873057
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: