Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same door different light original sea blue paint from a 65.

Bright sunlight
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside shed with flash (yes its blurry but you can see the differencein appearance)

The rest is a crappy respray so dont pay any attention to it.
I need to have some paint mixed but I am going to go off of the paint code listed on the sticker on the bulkhead hope it looks ok.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not trying for a specific color match or shade of sea blue then ordering a can is fine.
Going by paint code only will get you close.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danny79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Painting the engine bay - sea blue Reply with quote

I went to my paint guy with the engine lid, the paint on the inside, is sea blue, original. He mixed the paint, then had to tint it some. It matched the lid, but when I painted the engine bay, that blue was different than of the other sea blue in there, under the grease.... should I tell anyone that I am colorblind ? I told my paint guy...I am going get one gallon, and try to get it matched it to the door areas and it will be what it will be...engine bay won't matter too much when I am driving it down the road, 12V, tunes cranking, safaris open !
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Left is a one owner 1965 Sea Blue VW Bug built in Germany in 1964 and purchased in Florida from a dealer in November 1964.

On the Right is a one owner (two counting me) 1965 Sea Blue VW Notchback built in Germany in 1964 and purchased in Germany in 1964, then driven around Germany and brought back to the US in 1965.

Both are sporting original L360.1 Sea Blue paint from the factory.

The Bug has been polished and waxed recently, the Notchback is clean but needs some polishing to restore the paints shine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pair.
For reference, do they look like the same color in person?
They look very similar in your photo.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
.65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me they do not look exactly the same in person.

To me the notch looks somewhere between the 65 in the picture and the 65 Sea Blue I restored (pic a few pages back in this thread) that had its Sea Blue look a little light, more like the notch.

The Notch spent most of its life in a garage or undercover and was only outside for at most a few years. The notch was used as a family car same as the Bug.

I did get a touch up paint from 1970 included with the notch for L360.1, and I also have a Germany sent L360.1 touch up paint from 1970 that has been with the Bug forever, both touch up paints are the same and they both say L360.1 and they are both from the 70s from Germany.

I have polished the Bug, and the Notch does have obvious dulling and slight oxidation. I plan to polish the notch soon and see if the colors look more similar after the polishing.

If I have time soon I will put the other newly painted Sea Blue 65 Bug next to these and take a picture, but you can see the freshly painted Bug a few pages back in this thread,the one in the garage with no tail lights (it's complete now).

I really thought the notch and the original bug would look more similar as far as the shade of Sea Blue went.

*the notch did have its original upholstery replaced with 1966 basket weave black material. The original owner said the stitching wore out and the seats were coming apart, not tearing of material, just the thread was breaking. The original owner saved a lot of parts, but unfortunately not the original upholstery.
He also added 1600 pistons and cylinders, but the original domed 1500 pistons and cyls in great shape were included with the car.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some micro pics from the inside of the glove box door from both cars would be nice.
mpiwt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently getting my 69 type 3 painted sea blue. The current color code for the Seablue 360L or Seablue 1 is Dupont 8043L.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?t...966seablue

AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Hey guys i need your advice! Idea

Our 1967 bus is about to be resprayed soon - of course in original L360 Seablue paint.

Now my father is discussing with me because he says that the cars back in the days didn't have that shiny paint and currently he is favouring a matt paint version. He also arguments with the areas on our bus where original paint is still visible - but i say that the paint just faded out over the last 5 decades.

the original paint of our bus - state before metal work happened:

What do you say? I say shiny is how buses were delivered back in the days and thats how it would have to be if we want the bus to be original again..

Here are some pics - of our testsprays - we didn't sand the metal pieces before spraying it - it real was just a quick test. Sadly the sun was not really there so it looks quite different - but i guess you already know that seablue has many different shades depending on the available light..

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vermeulen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave123 wrote:
I stumbled across this photo of Vermeulens bus on the SSVC forum... he says its all original paint except for the front panel, which was resprayed:

To me the match is not great - those are different colours. I reckon that the body is the original Sea Blue 1 colour but he has used Sea Blue 2 for the respray on the nose? Its greener.

Just putting this up here because i think its the only photo yet posted which accurately shows (in the same photo with the same lighting) the difference between SB1 and SB2.

Smile

Thats my bus indeed and it has the original color on the body and there is a respray ( somewhere in the early 90's) on the front panel . correct cumulus white , wrong sea blue.

SBS UK #71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

I'm not old enough to remember them brand new but they were shiny, here's a press photo of a '63 Standard and you can the paint reflected the scenery around it:

They do look different than modern cars because the paint was single stage paint instead of paint + clear coat, which looks "deeper".

I can see your Bus has a bunch of original paint on it, you can prove it's shiny by applying some wax. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
you can prove it's shiny by applying some wax. Smile

I'll bet his painter would have a fit if he came near it with any sort of wax if paint work is planned soon Shocked just show him the dash, it all came out of the same gun at the same time Wink
I don't recall VW's specifically, but all new cars were shiny, they didn't all stay that way long due to poor quality paints and lack of care. If your Dad's cars were matt finish even when new you may want to think twice about letting him wash it for you, he must have been doing something wrong Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Gloss, matte, semi-gloss, mirror, wet... all are abused and confused terms.

They were sprayed and came out gloss- but not like you'd get with a rubbed clear coat job on a Volvo. I agree with EB above- and add that going matte is going for a patio furniture finish and you would hate yourself until the cows come home.

If I had to blow it with a painter, I'd call it a 5-10% knocked down gloss level if it's possible to use that description. I have no idea where that fits in with single stage stuff- but I'd visit the paint/bodywork forums before taking anything for the gospel here.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Vermeulen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

this is my original seeblau reflection after a polish and wax Smile
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1021453821...mp;theater
SBS UK #71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

AustroBus wrote:
Hey guys i need your advice! Idea

Now my father is discussing with me because he says that the cars back in the days didn't have that shiny paint and currently he is favouring a matt paint version.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think your father's memory has faded just like the original paint on your bus. Originally the paint was shiny...for a lacquer paint. They did not stay that way for very long and if not really kept after faded 5+ years on. Most people did not wax their busses on a regular basis then. They were basic transportation, not collector items they are now.

Go with the shiny two-part epoxy SINGLE STAGE paint, it will be the closest to what was original imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Many top coats are translucent and the different primers showed different results. Body shape enhances previous effect.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

AustroBus wrote:
Now my father is discussing with me because he says that the cars back in the days didn't have that shiny paint and currently he is favouring a matt paint version.

No matter what, your father is correct.

AustroBus wrote:
He also arguments with the areas on our bus where original paint is still visible - but i say that the paint just faded out over the last 5 decades.

Look inside the gas door.
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

Thank you guys! That's what i wanted to read! Wink

As it seems i could convince my dad with your help. Now we will take the shiny version!

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysar wrote:
Keysar wrote:
So what is the deal with my bus? Mine is a realy wierd shade...

Do you think its just because of the fade? Do you think I could get paint that could get CLOSER to my og paint than if I were to get brand new sea blue? When I get my wheel wells welded in along with my vents... Should I get sea blue or a lighter colour to match the rest of my bus the closest?

Here is a picture of it outside...

Does anybody have details about this shade of blue? My 67 looks just like this one and doesn't look like the others posted here. Could it be yet an other 67 only detail?
jsarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Reply with quote

This is the original paint/sticker in my '64 Type 3....
I'm merely looking for a 1 oz bottle of touchup paint; what would you recommend to give me the closest off the shelf match?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: