Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Dip Switch Settings VDO Tachometer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak coil primary voltages can reach 350 volts or more, so I'd recommend a 600 volt diode or higher. That's 1N4005 or better. I'd advise 1N4007 (1000 volts).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telford - have you ever scoped the problem to see what the waveform looks like and why it is requiring a diode to work sometimes?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, and it's fairly nasty. This one's about 225 volts (50 volts / div), measured from the green points wire to ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Varies quite a bit with the condition of the plugs and wires, as one would expect. The poorer the wires and plugs, the bigger the voltage spikes. No idea why the diode trick works (for some people - didn't work at all for me). Only way to find out is to reverse engineer a tach. Unfortunately, this requires opening it up by uncrimping the front trim ring - which sorta means the end of the tach, at least cosmetically

On the other hand, my request for someone to donate a dead tach for inspection still stands. I'll repair it (assuming parts or substitutes are available) and return it, no charge. You'll have to deal with the trim ring, of course...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I have, and it's fairly nasty. This one's about 225 volts (50 volts / div), measured from the green points wire to ground.

Varies quite a bit with the condition of the plugs and wires, as one would expect. The poorer the wires and plugs, the bigger the voltage spikes. No idea why the diode trick works (for some people - didn't work at all for me).

Hmmm... last car I scoped had a peak of about 35V... but as you say there's a wide variation to be expected... different coils, condenser condition etc.

Did you ever try a bit of a pull-down resistor along with a diode? 10K or so?
Code:

in ---------|>|----------- out
                       |
                       |
                      /
               10K   \
                       \
                      /
                     \
                       \
                       |
                       |
                     ----
                      --

My guess is that some tachs are more sensitive than others to the initial ringing... particularly after the 10-15 foot trip to the front of the bus. Diode at the tach rather than the coil perhaps?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 volts? Seems a bit low. Assuming a 100:1 VW coil, that means only 3500 volts at the coil secondary. Must have been a much higher turns ratio coil, say 400:1 (= 14,000 volts)...

Edit: did you take the probe attenuation factor (10:1 typically) into account? That would make it 350 volts at the probe tip.

Haven't tried a pull-down resistor, but it's easy enough to do so. My concern is that if anything attenuated the spike directly, it also attenuates the coil secondary voltage (via transformer action). And you're right about sending the coil primary voltage all the way to the front of the bus - not a great idea. Think of it as a really long radiating antenna. Hence my solution, located in the engine compartment (from the gallery):

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am; edited 4 times in total
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Haven't tried a pull-down resistor, but it's easy enough to do so. My concern is that if anything attenuated the spike directly, it also attenuates the coil secondary voltage (via transformer action). And you're right about sending the coil primary voltage all the way to the front of the bus - not a great idea. Think of it as a really long radiating antenna. Hence my solution, located in the engine compartment (from the gallery):

excuse my ignorance - but im very interested in this stuff.

If the diode is placed at the gauge, and we have a long radiating antenna running to the front, what are the negative consequences? does this affect performance to any degree? or would the radio get mad?

Also - yo mentioned that big voltage spikes are indicative of a less than stellar spark plugs and wires. should a voltage spike as you've shown suggest that plugs and wires need replacing?

I have an old scope but havent sat down to learn how to use it yet Razz
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
35 volts? Seems a bit low. Assuming a 100:1 VW coil, that means only 3500 volts at the coil secondary. Must have been a much higher turns ratio coil, say 400:1 (= 14,000 volts)...

one could have coil packs that use greater windings. I would think that a higher winding ratio on a single coil would limit the RPM substantially as it would saturate sooner. My guess is that with a higher winding ratio the collapse would be dirtier also. Telfprd - is that circuit you posted the most current circuit for the VDO Dampening? If so I would like permission to build one and try it. The VDO light dimmer works really well BTW.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the diode is placed at the gauge, and we have a long radiating antenna running to the front, what are the negative consequences? Does this affect performance to any degree? or would the radio get mad?

Sound system noise would indeed be my first concern.

My other concern is that if anything messes with that wire going all the way to the front of the bus, it would have a negative effect on engine operation. Of course, you could fix that in an emergency by going back to the engine and disconnecting the tach wire, but in my case, I have an AC compressor in the way, so it would not be any fun...

Quote:
Also - yo mentioned that big voltage spikes are indicative of a less than stellar spark plugs and wires. should a voltage spike as you've shown suggest that plugs and wires need replacing?

Mine are all new, so I assume that the waveform is normal. It's the same on all four cylinders. I also get the same waveform bench testing with a new solid spark plug wire and single plug (abit set with a way bigger gap, as it's not in a cylinder under compression...)

You're correct - a defective wire and or plug usually requires more voltage to fire, hence the bigger primary voltage spike.

Quote:
I have an old scope but haven't sat down to learn how to use it yet

Do so - it's a wonderful tool for diagnosing ignition and FI system wierdnesses. Just make sure you have a suitable (voltage, risetime) and appropriate matching probe (eBay, if you don't).

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 am; edited 7 times in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
one could have coil packs that use greater windings. I would think that a higher winding ratio on a single coil would limit the RPM substantially as it would saturate sooner. My guess is that with a higher winding ratio the collapse would be dirtier also.

It depends on the driving circuitry. Higher turns ratio implies lower primary turns, higher primary current, and (typically) electronics in the middle somewhere. Hard (for me) to draw any performance conclusions without bench testing.

Quote:
Telford - is that circuit you posted the most current circuit for the VDO Dampening?

Yes - it works well for me so far. May have too slow a risetime at greater than 6000 rev/min, so smaller capacitors may be needed (not a concern in my bus...)

Quote:
If so I would like permission to build one and try it.

Of course! Anything I post is for others to play with. Now if you plan on going into mass production, call me... Laughing

Quote:
The VDO light dimmer works really well BTW.

Glad to hear it. Working on posting a stand-alone switching dimmer circuit for interior camper lights (when I get a round 'tuit)...
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8000rpm VDO cockpit 80mm tach with metal case. Date of manufacture was 11/87. There is no part number on the case. There are no dip switches on the case either. It has never been installed in a vehicle as far as I know.

Would a diode be required for this if it was installed in my 79 Bus given the 12 ft or so of wire required?

Thanks.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to tell without trying it. Would recommend a temporary connection direct to the engine to check for any issues. If none, then run the wire and install in the cockpit, then check again.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular issues with the VW electronic ignition?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine - just make sure that the sense wire to the coil terminal (#1) NEVER shorts to anything. Hard on the (expensive) ignition module.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll try it on the Beetle first.
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat signal conditioning telford dorr... I especially like the LED monitor on the one-shot and the "old skool" resistors... I've got a couple of boxes of resistors from my ham radio days that are same old brown colour. Wink

Rather than do the math I'll just ask you what approximate output pulse width you've ended up using?

Last edited by Vince Waldon on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the inverse of the dwell angle. All the circuit does is remove high frequency components, clamp to 12 volts and ground, and invert (tach doesn't seem to care). LM555 acts as a Schmitt trigger / buffer, not a one-shot. Triggers at 1/3 and 2/3 of Vcc.
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it... thanks for the clarification... now that you mention it there's no R/C chain on the 555... shoulda noticed that.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there (R2, C2) - just no feedback from pin 7 or 3...
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the "tach is reading too high and swinging problem". However if I hookup my handheld tach at the engine, the tach in the dash works properly. I wonder if I just need to change my condensor? or should the diode fix this?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say, as the VDO tach innards are still unknown. Changing the condensor may have an effect - wouldn't hurt to try. Diode may work (didn't work for me).

Obviously, something in your hand-held tach is loading the ignition primary circuit enough to eliminate whatever it is in the waveform that is driving the VDO tach nuts, but without measurement, can't say what it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: