Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement for foam under front carpet?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Replacement for foam under front carpet? Reply with quote

Hi Volks,

I'm elbow deep in the soundproofing / rust repair interior project. In working on the front under the carpets, I see that the original foam between the carpet and the body is in pretty sorry shape.

What have folks used to replace this? It needs to provide some sound and heat insulation, as well as being closed cell so it can't suck up any moisture.

Your experiences and ideas are welcome.
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the closed cell underlayment for wood laminate flooring? I found some at a local store (the grocery outlet) it was like $19 for a 100 sf. I was going to buy and use it for the same purpose. Also their is Ensolite closed cell foam;
http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/INETFAQ.nsf/vFrame1/00236144B8A722B68025713D0050EF99

paul
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using closed cell foam, 1/4" thick. I glued it to the floor of the passenger/middle, but didn't do that to the drivers side as, someday, either of the master cylinders will fail again and ruin whatever is under there.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Question. Really, cause at some point everyone here is going to have the same issue, that is the seam sealer used is gonna fail.
The exterior and interior welds relate to what weak points fail first. If your going the distance, using OEM pads are useless. Using other stuff that you glue onto work just done, why?

My personal experience is to "let it air out for 2 years". It is a long term field test and what fails, then redo. It is not pretty, people will go, WTF, but it is your rig. The better off you treat her in rust prevention, then you've earned carpets. They who snickered at your efforts now are gonna pay later.

Been driving mine with minimal padding in the foot wells for 2 years, just to see the effects of foot traffic and weather. Coated to the nines, BTW.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I am thinking along the same lines.
The floor is getting:
1) Spot rust treatment with POR-15.
2) When POR-15 dries to tacky (3-6 hours, depending on outside temperature) spray on truck bed lines goes on top. The tacky POR will then bond to the bedliner. (This tip was from Terry Kay, thanks TK!)
3) A layer of Raammat sound dampening.

I think that should about cover things, pun intended.
Maybe the foam can stay out for a awhile while all this settles in.

ClimberJohn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomnglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- Just finished up doing the same to our Westy. I used Luxury liner pro from Second Skin. It's 3/8" think and made up of 2 types of closed selll rubber/foam. After I laid down all the peel and stick dampner, I then put in a layer of the luxury over it in the front area including between the seats. Had some leftover so I put one more layer just where our feet rest...same area that the old foam was thickest. Really worked great! Feels good, sounds great...our should say doesn't sound much at all Smile
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomnglo wrote:
John- Just finished up doing the same to our Westy. I used Luxury liner pro from Second Skin. It's 3/8" think and made up of 2 types of closed selll rubber/foam. After I laid down all the peel and stick dampner, I then put in a layer of the luxury over it in the front area including between the seats. Had some leftover so I put one more layer just where our feet rest...same area that the old foam was thickest. Really worked great! Feels good, sounds great...our should say doesn't sound much at all Smile

How much Luxury Liner (in square feet) did you buy to do the front area?
tomnglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm...looks like my reply didn't make it John, sorry.

I ordered the 4 pack as I wanted to do the over the engine portion, firewall and under the seat as well as the front area. My best guess is that 2 sheets would do the front portion. It made a big difference as we can actually talk now in a normal voice rather than just yelling 'What?' all the time. The only issue I see is that it makes you aware of other areas that are resonating...like the wheel wells, which will be the next and last thing I tackle with the coating they have called 'spectrum' I believe. At some point my own personal feeling is that it's a VW van not a BMW so there is gonna be some sound! Laughing Sure is alot better than my old bay window bus I had many moons ago. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: