Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston Gets a Second Chance, Propane-wise (Verbose)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Winston Gets a Second Chance, Propane-wise (Verbose) Reply with quote

iiigoiii wrote:
For any of you tapping into that gauge port on the bottom of your regulators, do you know if the port is connected to the high-pressure or the low-pressure side of the regulator?

I was thinking of using this port, but then thought if it taps into the low-pressure (post-regulation) side, you'd be injecting propane at full vapor pressure into the secondary regulator....

i believe that is the high pressure side. my westys didn't come with a dual stage regulator (1984).

of course, there are other concerns about this setup - like if you turned the built in tank on with the hose connected. as much as i like the general idea and cheapness, i am not sure i would do this. i also don't like the idea of forgetting and driving off with a bottle smashing around on the ground.

i would opt for a mini regulator and a shut off valve on the inside of the van that would connect to a mini propane tank - tapped into the low pressure side. probably illegal in north america, but safer IMHO.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Winston Gets a Second Chance, Propane-wise (Verbose) Reply with quote

I’d love to have an emergency port where I can quickly attach a 1lb propane bottle for stove and propex use. I always camp with kids so I have a ton of anxiety that I’m going to run out. My late model westy does not have a service port. Does anyone know if any of the commonly available replacement regulators have the port?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston Gets a Second Chance, Propane-wise (Verbose) Reply with quote

Just a note... The week before last, just as I was starting a two-day camp-out at the job site...

I WAS OUT OF PROPANE!

Shocked

I had TRIED to use the hose and spare tanks once before, but it turned out that the tank was empty because Winston's old, possibly original, regulator was shot, gas sprayed everywhere. I made Sun Tea in the luggage rack.

This time... I'm glad I have a set of SAE wrenches in the van. The little plug came out... the hose screwed in... A bit of tightening and putting the plug in a zippered pocket...

The stove lit. All weekend.
The refrigerator lit and stayed lit. All weekend.

Tim at AAA Propane knew what he was doing. There is LOTS to worry about when you get ready to return to the road, e.g.,

Shore power connection,
    THE POP TOP LATCH
    The assorted windows
    The Emergency Brake
    TABLES
    Hatches and doors
    Anything that can fall or roll around...

One more thing to get right before rolling--the can and hose, which is HARD to miss--isn't begging for disaster.

Shocked

Had the tank refilled and checked for leaks with soapy solution. All was well this weekend. But peace of mind and function are lovely.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: