Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtrashy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping Reply with quote

replaced the shoes/springs, didnt open and mess with any of the brake hydraulics. adjusted the shoes to barely rub with drums on.
the brake pedal doesnt have much resistance unless i pump it a few times, do i need to bleed them even though I didnt change anything with the hydraulics???
Thanks.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping Reply with quote

jtrashy wrote:
do i need to bleed them even though I didnt change anything with the hydraulics???
Thanks.

You shouldn't need to. Perhaps the shoes aren't adjusted outward enough. How does the E-brake feel?
jtrashy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping Reply with quote

thats what i thought.
e-brake not connected cuz missing a plastic piece mid connect.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping Reply with quote

from a few old posts re this same kind of issue?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

By Terry K:
Here's an old school operation that may give you a hand in getting the proper peliminary adjustment,and allowing the entire brake shoe to make contact with the drum.

Radius the shoes to the drum first.

What this means is prior to mounting the shoes,& the drums you lay the shoes into the inside of the drums and make sure the entire face of the shoe is making contact with the drum.
If not ( and ths sure sounds like what you have going on here ) sand, grind the face of the shoe so all of it evenly makes contact with the inside of the drum.

quoted from ragnar, with GOOD visuals of what this means..:

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

I bought these shoes from my FLAPS a while back. IIRC, they were Beck-Arnley labelled shoes. One shoe longer than the other, and upon a cursory examination they fitted fairly well to the drum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alistair

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brakes after new shoes need pumping Reply with quote

jtrashy wrote:
thats what i thought.
e-brake not connected cuz missing a plastic piece mid connect.

The shoes themselves need to be adjusted then if required, the e-brake. This is shown in Bentley. Of particular importance is the small gap shown between e-brake lever and part that operates the shoe(s). I found a shoe measurement tool to be quite useful to get initial adjustment.

If the pedal needs to be pumped it could be a shoe(s) adjustment issue or issue at master cylinder.

If there's any doubt about how the hardware was assembled, there are images here showing factory assembled new brake back plate, hardware, shoes etc.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: