Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Condition Relay wire very hot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Air Condition Relay wire very hot Reply with quote

Hello,
Could use some help. I have a 91 westfalia. The wire that runs from the 50 amp fuse to the evaporator fan relay is very hot. The black wire on the same relay is also hot. The air condition works well but I'm concerned with the heat. I can't even hold the wire it's so hot. I temperarly replaced the 50amp fuse with a 40amp breaker for safety. Has anyone experienced such a thing?

Thanks,
Hector
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector,

I cold be a few things, but I would start with two. First the actual fan speed switch gets burned over time and the contacts get covered with carbon. This increases the resistance in the system. The switch is cheap and easy to replace on the 91.

The other item is the fan bearings start to not be so bearing like as they age. If you can get to your fans. Spray so Tri-Flow or LPS 2 oil on both sides of the bearings. Lubing them up will halve the amp draw by the fans. Do not use WD40, it is not really a lubricant.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mangic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dogpilot. I just replaced the fan switch and the temp switch. I'll try lubing the fan. Do you have a suggestion for getting to them without disasembling the entire cabinet?

Thanks again,
Hector
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those spray lubes have the skinny tube sprayers. THe problem is they are never long enough. Use two, connected by small tubing, like IV tubing or something equally small. If it isn't small enough heat the end and stretch it, it gets smaller. In my westy I can remove the front of the vents and open up the side access to the fans and work this extended tube system near the axels and spay the bejeezus out of them.

Also check for corrosion on the spade connectors at the resistor in the cabinet.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mangic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool will do. Is the resitor reachable by hand through the vent?

Thanks
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was right there, but it is an 86. Yours could be under the luggage rack for all I know. It would make sense that it is close to the fans. All you really need to do is reseat them, spades almost self clean when you do this.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
mangic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Will try it when I get home. Thanks for the advise.

Hector
maocg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector,

I have been fighting hot wires on my 91 Westy. I am told by my mechanic the Evap Fans are good and there are no shorts in the system. All leaks have been repaired, I have replaced many of the seals, new compressor, new condensor, new fan speed switch (up front) and it blows very cold air. I have had AC battles for three summers.

The wire coming from the Altenator gets very hot, the breaker gets very hot and the wires going to power the evaporator fans get very hot. At Fan speed 3 the fans are pulling 35.5 amps. I currently have a 40 amp breaker on it which will trip after 2-3 minutes at fan speed 4 again with very hot wires.

I am learning as I go and am working to help discover the solution to the hot wires with my dedicated mechanic. This site has been very educational and inspiring for me. Someday I might pick up the wrench!

Is my van a three season van?

Thanks,

Matt
mangic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt,
Yeah frustrating, mine also trips after a few minutes. The correct amperage is 50 but I'm afraid the wires will burn if I leave it at 50. My system has a new compressor and switch as well, I even tried changing the terminals. I'm thinking that even though my fan works that it may pulling too much amperage. I'm planning on doing some testing with a 12v motor that pulls less amps just to see if the wires still get hot. If that works I'll replace the fan motor.

Thanks,
Hector
maocg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector,

One thing that did drop the amps a little was cleaning the ground. Yeah 50 is correct however, I had a little incident with a band aid repair my former mechanic made after the 50 amp strip fuse blew at the end of the summer last year, two 25 amp fuses in parallel and it caught fire. Note I said former and I learned a thing or two.

Keep me posted on the fan motor. Would running a heavier gage wire reduce the amount of heat if all other systems are found to be sound?

Matt
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra fan I got at a junkyard while collecting vital spares. So last year, when this discussion was up I took it out and ran it with the amp meter hooked up. Simply lubing the bearings reduced the draw of the fan by half. With two fans in the system and the radiator, reducing the draw by half is quite significant.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
I have an extra fan I got at a junkyard while collecting vital spares. So last year, when this discussion was up I took it out and ran it with the amp meter hooked up. Simply lubing the bearings reduced the draw of the fan by half. With two fans in the system and the radiator, reducing the draw by half is quite significant.

And what, pray tell, was the amp draw of one of these motors.
BTW, these are apparently two of the same motor that is used inside the front heater assembly. They do indeed fail because of the grease becoming dry and not lubing. I've had great success at re-lubing them with very light oil. The fan side bearing is hidden under the fan hub and I've drilled holes in the plastic to access the bearing. I drill a second hole to sorta make the balance better.
But yes, you have to take the housing apart.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

Just for you, I went and re-did the test. Off the shelf the fan pulled 12 amps, single fan on my workbench. I used three test leads, to simulate larger wire gauge. Then it went through my Fluke 87. I then lubed the visible bearing with Tri-Flow® and pushed the tube down as far as I could through a large cooling opening in the side of the metal motor housing and did a healthy amount of lube that way. Let it sit and soak for a couple of minutes. Ran it again, dropped to 9.2 amps. Now I had lubed this fan before, but about 1.5 years ago, and very lightly, and I didn't try the hidden bearing flood technique.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those blower motors, when in the front heater housing, typically burn out the 20 amp fuses and still run. Not WELL, mind you! So, you are confident that you are getting lube on the front, outside bearing under the fan hub?
thanks,
Al
Vanagons:
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is contrary to the rantings of a certain denizen of these parts, but in the handful of those motors I've disassembled, it's the tail bearing that wears the worst, by far. The one at the center of the fan wheel itself is nearer the center of gravity of the spinning mass, while the tail bearing (bushing) is what bears greater side forces due to the lengthened moment arm. So lubing both is good, if you can do it, but it's at least been my observation that the tail bearing gets the worst of it, so if you can only lube that one you're still doing a great deal of good.

I have a used fan I reconditioned which is destined to replace my front under-dash blower, if I ever get around to it. Meanwhile, I have a method of shooting some lube at the tail bearing on it, and once a year gets me thru the winter without noise. So the R&R may never happen!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I know this is contrary to the rantings of a certain denizen of these parts,........ while the tail bearing (bushing) is what bears greater side forces due to the lengthened moment arm. !

Uhhh, Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the increased moment make the forces be LESS, not more.
No way are the forces greater on the outboard bearing. Is the WEAR greater? Maybe. Perhaps because the hidden bearing is shielded from the air flow which perhaps dries out the volatile parts of the lube.
I have never taken one apart, just squirted oil on em. The first one lasted 9 or 10 years, then I relubed it and put it back in. I have absolutely no idea how much the bearings wear.
Hell, they only cost about $80 more or less to buy a new one. I'm just a tightwad. Follow my lead at your peril! I sometimes buy new parts, but I don't waste them on Vanagons when I don't have to. I have a couple other projects that are MUCH more pricey. I haven't even changed the oil in my 911 yet this year!
(Actually, I'm putting a new tranny together for the 911 and put it in when I change the oil.)
Al
Vanagons:
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's just what I've seen from, as I said, a pretty limited survey. The tail bushing is much more worn than the one at the fan end. It makes sense to me, and airflow could be a factor but I think the inertial imbalance is important. The fan and rotor as an assembly have their center of moment much closer to the fan bearing end; that means that torque reactions and vibrations will be transmitted more to the bearing farther away from the center of balance. Just a theory, but I'm sticking with it!

By the way, the denizen of these parts I was referring to hasn't commented on this thread. Yet.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dameeser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with the relay connection side of the wire coming from the alternator getting hot only when i turn the ac unit on. Has anyone got any more information on this problem?
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to replace the connectors on that wire. They can corrode under the crimp part making them very inefficient. It is a good place to start anyway.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: