Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro fuel tank removal, reseal and SS strap install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edbee: I bought the metal lines from CIP1 due to the fact the guy I spoke to on the phone was the only one who took the time to see if he had lengths to meet my needs. But I wouldn't buy from them again. After they were all in and tight, I started bleeding and had leaks all over. I had to loosen and reposition and tighten real real tight to get the whole thing leak free. Also, no one makes made to order lines for the Vanagon. So you end up figuring out your lengths and buy lines of equal length and get them in. A real pita. I went from the master all the way to the back.

Here is the kicker. Since doing my van I bought another Syuncro in need of metal lines and bought all my lines from NAPA. I piece mealed a few of the longer runs but got it all in and lo and behold, NO LEAKS upon bleeding. The plus on the NAPA lines is that they have 12mm wrench nuts vs 11mm CIP1. I like the bigger ones.

Lay under the van, take a bunch of meaasurements and try to replace them one at a time not to mess up your mind. IT gets a bit confusing were they were once they are out. That is if you remove all of them like I did. Check out your proportioning valve, It may work but it may be rusted near death like mine. Luckily I had spares.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Syncro Restoration Reply with quote

Ed, I don't have a picture at the moment but I will take one when I get the latest kit here to install on my project syncro. It is a two hose kit. The high side hose is 3000 psi burst pressure rated reinforced black rubber with a fitting on each end. You attach one end to the rack and the other to the high pressure hose in the engine bay. The other hose is the return and it is rubber with two clamp. You leave about six inches of metal pipe on the rack end and cut the pipe there. Then slip the rubber hose over this and clamp it. At the other end you attach the hose to the power steering reservoir in the engine bay. That way you replace the metal line and also that short piece of hose in the engine bay at the same time. I have them made at I need them so if you need one let me know and usually in about a day I can have it on the way to you.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Brake lines Reply with quote

I also get my brake lines pre-made from NAPA and I am happy with them. I have a flaring tool and new line and fittings from VW but just in the cost of the parts alone the NAPA lines are cheaper than the VW line, then you have to know how to make your own flares and that takes time to do right. Much easier buying the premade lines and then just coupling them together if need be. I have made up a chart for myself that lists all of the brake lines and the lengths of them so that I can go to NAPA and then buy whatever lengths I need to get the job done. That might be a good idea for you too since it seems that replacing metal brake lines is going to be an on-going thing with any Vanagon you are going to work on in the future.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick I learned from some more experienced syncro owners is to put comething between the frame and the sending unit to ensure it dosent get caught up on the body. Thats the hard part when that happens....... It would have saved me a bit time and cursing. Laughing
jbeaulie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HeftySmurf,

I am in the process of restoring the fuel tank in my Syncro. I'll be reusing the fuel level sender, but will replace the seals and split ring. Did you use any sealant when re-installing the sender? I'd be REALLY unhappy if the darn thing leaked after going through all this work.

Picture of rusty sender
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture of de-rusted sender with two coats of POR-15. Sensor is mounted on a box to protect the float and electronics while I ground off the rust.

Jake
87 Syncro hardtop
82 AC Westy
Cincinnati, OH
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings
You can get new rubber gaskets.
Pretty sure Alaric H. Offered them now a few other vendors offer them too.
I've never heard of needing to use sealant. You should be ok with what you have going already.
Good luck and be careful not to break the rollover valves reinstalling it.
Peace and hair grease
Mike
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1333_1481/syncro_fuel_tank_sending_unit_gasket.html
ght
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Syncro fuel tank SS straps install Reply with quote

Where do you bolt the ends of the 2 parts that goes under the tank?
Best regards.
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the fuel tank re-work. Sorry. Slight hi-jack. Didn't get an answer for this question on a thread I started. And since the heftysmurf is very knowledgable about the Syncro fuel system now, maybe you could help. I started leaking fuel out of the channel shown in the pic on a very hot day while pitching and rolling over some 4WD roads over the weekend. I filled the tank before the drive. I could not find the source of the leak in the engine compartment or under the van. Once I hit pavement and it stopped leaking. Any ideas? Is there a fuel line in that channel? Thanks for any help.

________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronicity wrote:
Great job on the fuel tank re-work. Sorry. Slight hi-jack. Didn't get an answer for this question on a thread I started. And since the heftysmurf is very knowledgable about the Syncro fuel system now, maybe you could help. I started leaking fuel out of the channel shown in the pic on a very hot day while pitching and rolling over some 4WD roads over the weekend. I filled the tank before the drive. I could not find the source of the leak in the engine compartment or under the van. Once I hit pavement and it stopped leaking. Any ideas? Is there a fuel line in that channel? Thanks for any help.

No, there's no fuel line in there. My best guess would be one of the gravity valves on the top of the tank is leaking, and fuel sloshed out and found a way down via the aforementioned channel. Or possibly a vent line up there is cracked (there are several). This would explain the behaviour you saw.

To fix it, you're in for a nice weekend of engine/tranny/tank R&R. If you do this, replace everything up there so you can have another ~20 years of non-leaking Smile

Robyn
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Syncro, the vent line from the charcoal cannister is routed into the top of that channel. I am not sure how it would happen, but it sounds like the evap system is getting pressurized, and pushing fuel into the charcoal cannister. Maybe when offroading, a fuel tank vent is submerged in fuel, allowing raw fuel in the vent line, then a plugged or restricted alternate vent (the other side of the Syncro tank) is enabling a pressure buildup, pushing fuel into the charcoal cannister.

Just a guess,

RonC

EDIT: Moved this back to the original thread.

Last edited by snowsyncro on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro fuel tank SS straps install Reply with quote

ght wrote:
Where do you bolt the ends of the 2 parts that goes under the tank?
Best regards.

The short threaded rear straps bolt to the front side of the firewall, at the top -- you can clearly see those on the photos HeftySmurf posted. The saddle straps bolt to the bottom of the horizontal crossmember in front of the tank, just outboard of those vertical slots. That crossmember, with the elongated holes and vertical slots, is Syncro-specific.

Ronc
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend replacing all the 6x1.0mm nuts with new one as when you clean or sandblast the threads to get the rust off they may get a little smaller and the old bolts can vibrate loose and cause a leak.
Here are some pictures of one I just did over with new bolts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do that with tank in or out of vehicle?
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7thing3 wrote:
Did you do that with tank in or out of vehicle?
No it was in the van.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well over a week ago I started preparing to remove the fuel level sensor and get ready to install a new one again Mad so I got it loose Sunday and received the new one from Van Café today Very Happy and already have a SS ring for in the tank from Ken at Van Again but I am 100 miles from the van at my apartment Crying or Very sad so I am playing with it and am confused on the orientation the way the old one was clocked the level sensor is sideways Question The PO replaced it at least once (aka my father who thinks it may have been done twice on this van) installed the old one and could have done it wrong way back when, but it always read the fuel level correct Question The question is do I have the unit right in my picture:

Or do I have it upside down or at an angle Rolling Eyes I am confused and don’t want to put it in wrong Confused

So I come to you the collective to make sure I clock the new one to perform its best, I also want to know if I need that plate on the top left of the unit as mine is almost all gone back to mother earth Question
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks correct. If the nipple faced down it would hit the frame rail.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting--whats the capacity of that tranny saddle tank? my bentley is bereft of data.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18.5 gallons
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know mine is the same as yours ,but I have put more gas in it than that before . Like 2 or 3 tenths . almost to 18.9 .
Since my Fuel gauge has never worked ,I run out a few time a month .Mario ,Now you know why I carry that ultra cool spare tank on my screen .
I am waiting for my sending unit too come home from G.B.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: