Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tap size to remove starter bushing?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
getsum111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

Hello again. I did lots of searching, and found how to remove the starter bushing using a tap. Unfortunately, the small set I own does not have the size tap I need, so I am going to buy one. I was unable to find the size tap I need for this procedure. And yes, I know an autostick starter is self supporting, but I do not have the $ to spend on this right now. Daughter starts college in fall, and room/board fees are due.

Also, if anyone knows of the best place to order one, I'd appreciate it. Wolfsburg West has them cheap, but it sucks to pay $2 for the bushing and $8 in shipping. Rolling Eyes FWIW, it's on a 72 Standard Beetle, w/ manual transmisssion.
getsum111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a thread that says to try 9/16" tap. Anyone have experience with this? The same thread also suggested 14mm. Hmmmm......
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2 x 13 or 7/16 x 14. depends on the bushing.
Marvin
getsum111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.
getsum111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for future reference, for my 72 Std. Beetle, it was the 7/16 x 14. The bushing came out so easy that I was afraid I broke something. Laughing
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

For a 6V bushing, use a 1/2" tap.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

I used an M11 by 1.5 tap on my '71 Super
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

I'm replacing all my starters with the ones for automatics (as needed). No bushings needed.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I'm replacing all my starters with the ones for automatics (as needed). No bushings needed.

I "may" do this "next time" I need to do a starter. On my 1970 sedan (remanufactured-by-Bosch starter is at least 3 decades old), I did replace the starter bushing last year during its "resurrection", but I had the engine out so I just used a socket to tap the bushing out towards the front, it was pretty bad. I tapped in the new bushing that had come with that starter those many decades earlier that I had saved. Guess which one is the factory starter bushing that had served me well for 260K miles !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
kawfee wrote:

I "may" do this "next time" I need to do a starter. On my 1970 sedan (remanufactured-by-Bosch starter is at least 3 decades old), I did replace the starter bushing last year during its "resurrection", but I had the engine out so I just used a socket to tap the bushing out towards the front, it was pretty bad. I tapped in the new bushing that had come with that starter those many decades earlier that I had saved. Guess which one is the factory starter bushing that had served me well for 260K miles !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
can the bushing be removed with the engine in car?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
can the bushing be removed with the engine in car?

Yes, with the correct tool https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+starter+bushing...mp;bih=891 or to thread in the tap and extract.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

I have a tap set i have hardly use thanks Cusser
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:

I think we ALL hope that we rarely need to use our taps and dies !!! But really great when something breaks !
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

I think we ALL hope that we rarely need to use our taps and dies !!! But really great when something breaks !
no doubt ,i picked up a starter today new i dis not look at the bix sticker got it home and it is a empi ,now have to wait till monday to return it ans get a bosch rebuilt ,moral of the story ,check the manufacturer before you leave store .,,or ask specifically what you want ...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

My two VWs have starters and generators actually rebuilt-by-Bosch, but those were obtained over 25 years ago each. If such stuff is actually obtainable these days, I'd search it out.

I might myself consider an autostick starter if I need one, know that my 1971 is still on its factory starter bushing, replaced the 1970 one last year for the first time.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tap size to remove starter bushing? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My two VWs have starters and generators actually rebuilt-by-Bosch, but those were obtained over 25 years ago each. If such stuff is actually obtainable these days, I'd search it out.

I might myself consider an autostick starter if I need one, know that my 1971 is still on its factory starter bushing, replaced the 1970 one last year for the first time.
that’s what i use (autostick starter ) i am tired of rebuilt starters but the bosch auto stick new is at least two bills i guess ill bite the bullet for piece of mind .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: