Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the luggage carpet fit right up to the edge of the under seat area?
Do the seat hinges fit on top or under the carpet?
And would it be wise to cover all the metalwork (painted black in this picture) in a thin fabric before glueing the carpets edging up to it? I've already made a new hardboard panel to blank off under the luggage area but it's not pictured here.

Great questions.
I have Newton carpet and have an issue at the same place. Right where back seat and luggage area meet. In looking at it it looks like my back seat carpet piece is too long. (Thanks Newton Wink ) It goes too far into the luggage and that forces the two pieces to push up after lifting the back seat to closed position. Crying or Very sad Embarassed I believe the carpet on the back seat should not bend when lifting it into closed position.
Plenty of people here with Newton carpet so more should respond. (with pics of their install).
I think I need to shorten the backseat piece have it re-bound and re glue it all.
Hinges are under the carpet.
Yes, the "black" in your pic should be covered in matching vinyl.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

[quote="c21darrel"]
Quote:
Does the luggage carpet fit right up to the edge of the under seat area?

Great questions.
I have Newton carpet and have an issue at the same place. Right where back seat and luggage area meet. In looking at it it looks like my back seat carpet piece is too long... It goes too far into the luggage and that forces the two pieces to push up after lifting the back seat to closed position...quote]

I think you'll find that the Newton carpet for the luggage area behind the back seat matches the original carpet exactly. There was an overlap and a "push up".

I think the "overlap" is designed (intended) to cover the space between the back of the seatback and the floor of the luggage compartment when the seat back is lowered.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you'll find that the Newton carpet for the luggage area behind the back seat matches the original carpet exactly. There was an overlap and a "push up".

I think the "overlap" is designed (intended) to cover the space between the back of the seatback and the floor of the luggage compartment when the seat back is lowered.

Before Karmann65 glues his down maybe we can get more input and pics from Newton users...
Maybe the kit is correct and maybe I did something wrong. At the "top" of the back seat carpet is all the way to the top. At luggage area seam I get this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top of seat...

Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

My upholsterer has gone the extra mile by recovering the rear seat back and edging it. I hope the edging doesn't cause any additional problems.

If it does then I'll be removing it and applying the carpet section to the seat back instead. Obviously this way there will be no overlap to consider but covering the underseat metalwork will be all the more important.

I'll find my hinges tomorrow and have a closer look at what's still exposed when the seat is down.

Going through the removed parts I found one of the two hardboard kick panels that will be needed at the front.

It's not in great shape so I'll be looking to make a pair of new ones

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

^^those look usable. I think there should be a metal edge that the carpet tucks under. Someone correct me if im wrong.

I think the extra layer on your back seat will cause issue for you. (although very nice of him)
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
^^those look usable. I think there should be a metal edge that the carpet tucks under. Someone correct me if im wrong.

I think the extra layer on your back seat will cause issue for you. (although very nice of him)

Useable maybe but I only have one. It's good as a template for one side but for the other side I'll need a respectable replica of an original because the carpet will already be cut that way. If I find pictures some metal edges should be easy enough to reproduce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Useable maybe but I only have one. It's good as a template for one side but for the other side I'll need a respectable replica of an original because the carpet will already be cut that way. If I find pictures some metal edges should be easy enough to reproduce.

Darrel is right. There is a metal part. You can see it in the thread below. I made my own panels from waterproof material (Rexon board, which is used in the manufacture of shoes). I also made them slightly wider. There are three pieces that fit together at the door pillar: the panel you show, the metal strip and the windlacing.

I think I explained it somewhere in my thread, but you can see the parts here: (EDIT: It's on page 54 of my thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7803310#7803310 )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...mp;start=0
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

I took detailed photos of that area a while ago.

Nicholas
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for all for the pictures, links and advice. Makes life so much easier having something to work from.

I remember the metal strips now and think I have them safely stored away somewhere. Very Happy

The shopping list is growing again but its all good.

On another note, I'm expecting five new tyres to be delivered today. Galaxy R1 20mm radial whitewalls, 155 HR 15. When I first got the car it had narrow band (crossply) whitewalls on and I always thought they looked good with the '66 10 slot beauty rings and hub caps. Hopefully the radials won't look too out of character.

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

I only found one front metal strips but again it's good to use as a template for a pair of replacements. And here are the pillows and a rear wind lace to work from.

Meanwhile I made some new kick panels this morning from 3mm fibre board I had lying about. A gentle score down the back with a blade even allowed a crease to be formed. I'll treat them with varnish to keep any damp away.

The LH panel has an extra notch out for the main wiring loom to pass through.

A trip to a fabric shop won me a metre of vinyl to cover the under seat area.

And my new tyres arrived...

Not a bad days progress all told. Very Happy

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Nice work!
I think your tire choice is going to look brilliant. Very Happy
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks for posting just as I'm getting to the same job. Detail is good.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

White wall's look great on a Ghia!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Going back a few days, I saw there were some questions about how the carpeting kit might be installed around the rear seat area. I just snapped a few from my wife's original '65 Smoke Grey coupe with Aero Red interior and Tin Grey carpeting.

Notice how much that original square weave carpet shrinks over time.

Cloth edge binding. The seat back carpet overlaps the rear luggage area carpet by an inch or more so that it covers the piano hinges.

The carpet on the seat back sits flat and is completely edge bound. Yeah--when the seat is put into the upright position, there is a fold that develops across its width at the hinge area. It settles out over time, though.

The carpet that rolls over the top of the kick panel is glued into place and does not have any edge binding. Very simple--but I've seen more than one kit have this area bound and too short so that the kick panel metal shows.

Really enjoying the work being done on your car! I like the color combo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Excellent pictures (and original carpet in the ghia). Applause
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the pictures gregson1 Very Happy

I took the bold step of reusing the original sound proofing in the luggage area. Feels much heavier than the modern alternatives.

The vinyl is partly cut ready for trimming and sticking around the seat base.

Lastly today I dropped off the new tyres and freshly painted wheels at the fitting shop. Get them back on Thursday due to work commitments. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Tyres fitted and the car is now up on stands for the winter.

Hoping to get some more done over the Christmas break. Smile

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

In the hope that I can somehow bring this thread back to life with pictures I've now uploaded all my previous (PhotoBucket) pictures to here at TheSamba. Next step is to get permission from admin to update old posts.
Has anyone done this? Who is the best person to contact? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:
In the hope that I can somehow bring this thread back to life with pictures I've now uploaded all my previous (PhotoBucket) pictures to here at TheSamba. Next step is to get permission from admin to update old posts.
Has anyone done this? Who is the best person to contact? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance. Smile...

I could be mistaken, but I believe that you should be able to edit your own old posts without needing to request any special permissions from an admin.

I'll grant you permission to edit them. ( Wink )

If you look closely in the upper right hand corner of the "box" that surrounds each post, you'll notice that on everyone else's posts you have the option to either "Quote" or "Report!" their post by clicking on the appropriate button.
However, when you look closely in the upper right hand corner of each of your [u]own[u] old posts you'll notice that the "Report!" option has been replaced with an "Edit" button.

You're welcome - it was nothing, really. Smile

Now if you want to go ahead and "Report!" one of your own old posts, then I'm afraid that you'll have to go ahead and contact someone in a position of "authority" here.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

I could be mistaken, but I believe that you should be able to edit your own old posts without needing to request any special permissions from an admin.

I'll grant you permission to edit them. ( Wink )

If you look closely in the upper right hand corner of the "box" that surrounds each post, you'll notice that on everyone else's posts you have the option to either "Quote" or "Report!" their post by clicking on the appropriate button.
However, when you look closely in the upper right hand corner of each of your [u]own[u] old posts you'll notice that the "Report!" option has been replaced with an "Edit" button.

You're welcome - it was nothing, really. Smile

Now if you want to go ahead and "Report!" one of your own old posts, then I'm afraid that you'll have to go ahead and contact someone in a position of "authority" here.

It would appear that in this case you are indeed mistaken Wink as there's a time limit on editing.

You are not allowed to edit a post after it has been posted for 86400 minutes. If you need to update a thread title or edit something critical, please contact the admin.

In the light of this error message I've contacted EverettB

Thanks for trying though. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: