Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I could be mistaken, but I believe that you should be able to edit your own old posts without needing to request any special permissions from an admin.

I'll grant you permission to edit them. ( Wink )

If you look closely in the upper right hand corner of the "box" that surrounds each post, you'll notice that on everyone else's posts you have the option to either "Quote" or "Report!" their post by clicking on the appropriate button.
However, when you look closely in the upper right hand corner of each of your [u]own[u] old posts you'll notice that the "Report!" option has been replaced with an "Edit" button.

You're welcome - it was nothing, really. Smile

Now if you want to go ahead and "Report!" one of your own old posts, then I'm afraid that you'll have to go ahead and contact someone in a position of "authority" here.

It would appear that in this case you are indeed mistaken Wink as there's a time limit on editing.

You are not allowed to edit a post after it has been posted for 86400 minutes. If you need to update a thread title or edit something critical, please contact the admin.

In the light of this error message I've contacted EverettB

Thanks for trying though. Smile

Embarassed Silly me! ...in my defense I did think of trying to edit a very old post of my own before replying just to make certain that it worked.
Alas, I settled for simply verifying that the "Edit" button option was still available on one of my very old posts and failed to actually try using it. Brick wall

My mistake - I apologize.
I should have known better, and I would "Report!" my own suggestion to simply use the "Edit" button if I could.
Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

You might find a new ability to edit your own posts due to the Photobucket fiasco, even after the time limit is expired
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You might find a new ability to edit your own posts due to the Photobucket fiasco, even after the time limit is expired

I would like to make it clear, the ability to edit posts is just for missing pictures. Editing the text of posts could lead to all kinds of confusion where the original text has later been quoted in another post.

In extreme cases people could make arbitrary alterations for...who knows what reasons. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Had a day all to myself in the garage at weekend. Very Happy

I decided to fit the rear seat backrest which involved making new hinges. With the extra thickness of the new seat padding the OG hinges wouldn't reach. With the seat back down there was effectively a step up to the backrest so I modified two new pieces of piano hinge with an elongated joggle to account for the step up. Down side of this is that the backrest now sits 1/4" higher when its upright but I can live with that. With any luck the padding will eventually settle and I can revert back to the OG hinges. I still have to paint the new hinges so I'll coat them black by hand with a fine brush.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not happy with the way the material glued down below the backrest. The hardboard recess cover is set back from the top edge. I might try padding it out a little.

On another note, I made a pair (to start with) of rear wind laces by hand stitching narrow strips of matching material around short thick lengths of round electrical cable. I did this as a trial before making front ones to match. I looked at extending them under the chrome B pillar trim but the colour contrast at that point just didn't look right to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

I had the same issue with a too plump back seat. Our fix was to pull the cover and trim the foam til the seat sat flat.
I agree your hardboard in the gap looks a bit recessed. Try to fir it out a little from behind the hardboard. I can also see the attaching screws thru the vinyl. Try a different style head on your screws or countersink.
Looking good! Excellent color choice.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I had the same issue with a too plump back seat. Our fix was to pull the cover and trim the foam til the seat sat flat.
I agree your hardboard in the gap looks a bit recessed. Try to fir it out a little from behind the hardboard. I can also see the attaching screws thru the vinyl. Try a different style head on your screws or countersink.
Looking good! Excellent color choice.

I'm not prepared to chance messing up the bespoke upholstery work done by better hands than mine.

I will however have another go at the recessed hardboard and screws. Good idea Darrel to move the hardboard forward so it sits more flush and countersunk screws will do the trick too.

Today I managed to install the side panel on the opposite side of the seat with wind lace number 2 and to glue down the luggage area carpet.

Rear shelf needs covering and the vent grill fitting then I can move onto the next piece of carpet on the front face of the rear seat. Tomorrows job all being well. Very Happy Think I'll go with dark grey fluffy material for the shelf like that used behind the rear seat backrest. That way it won't reflect while driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Had a trip to a fabric shop this morning and picked up some grey fleece for the back shelf. Unfortunately no surplus carpet came with the Newton Commercial set and getting an exact match of green wouldn't be easy. I wasn't sure if the fleece would need to be double thickness so first of all I made a paper template of the shelf, then cut out a piece of fabric to match. If a second layer was needed I could simply use the template again. As it happens it only took one layer and looked fine. Bit messy using the spray on adhesive with the relatively thin fabric but any excess soon rubbed away with white spirits. A quick search in my tub of screws (from Volksbolts) found the two new labelled screws for the shelf vent grill. Very Happy

I found the chrome trim piece that goes along the shelf front and gave it a bit of spit and polish. There are a few minor dings in it but nothing worth trying to source a replacement. Does this just glue into place?

After looking at the carpet piece for the rear kick panel I figured the tunnel section should be fitted beforehand. Some pieces fit overlapping others and I'm still trying to figure out the correct fitting sequence. It was hot here today and working with impact adhesive in a confined environment was getting stressful. I had to keep getting out for some air.

One more job today was to make two wooden wedges designed to give the back edge of the rear seat base some added support. They fit snugly in the sloping channel inboard of two body mounting plates and seem to do the job quite well. I'll paint them over in due course and glue them in place.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:
One more job today was to make two wooden wedges designed to give the back edge of the rear seat base some added support. They fit snugly in the sloping channel inboard of two body mounting plates and seem to do the job quite well.

Doesn't the metal bracket on the seat that goes over the tunnel already do this quite well?
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Karmann_65 wrote:
One more job today was to make two wooden wedges designed to give the back edge of the rear seat base some added support. They fit snugly in the sloping channel inboard of two body mounting plates and seem to do the job quite well.

Doesn't the metal bracket on the seat that goes over the tunnel already do this quite well?

This is just for a little extra support. I remember the wooden base creaking quite a bit.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Quote:
I found the chrome trim piece that goes along the shelf front and gave it a bit of spit and polish. There are a few minor dings in it but nothing worth trying to source a replacement. Does this just glue into place?

I believe they just crimp on. I don't recall any adhesives.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Does this just glue into place?

I believe they just crimp on. I don't recall any adhesives.

Sounds about right. And there are no screw holes in the trim piece to indicate otherwise.

Have you any idea what these 2 plastic pipes are? They look like heater pipe shrouds but I can't figure where exactly they go. One is a couple of inches shorter than the other and both are split down their length. Cut square at one end and at an angle he other end. And they both have a flat area like they're going in a tight spot.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

These need reflective foil to work. They go on the heater tubes underneath the car where the concertina tubes attach to the heat exchangers

I covered that in my push against entropy thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=81

If you have a look there you'll see lots of photos showing how it goes.

The original foil was something similar to the film that gets put on glass windows to reflect solar heat. I used adhesive insulation foil that works to 300˚C

Nicholas
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
These need reflective foil to work. They go on the heater tubes underneath the car where the concertina tubes attach to the heat exchangers

I covered that in my push against entropy thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=81

If you have a look there you'll see lots of photos showing how it goes.

The original foil was something similar to the film that gets put on glass windows to reflect solar heat. I used adhesive insulation foil that works to 300˚C

Nicholas

Thanks Nicholas. I was looking at the pipes under the back seat. Explains why it didn't make sense. Very Happy

Do you think kitchen foil would work the same? The film pieces I still have are in shreds.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

You might be able to make kitchen foil work but it might be better to search on the internet for an automotive grade adhesive thermal insulation foil.
As Chuck Berry sang, "Anything you want we've got right here in the USA"
just needs a little research. Cool
Nicholas
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
You might be able to make kitchen foil work but it might be better to search on the internet for an automotive grade adhesive thermal insulation foil.
As Chuck Berry sang, "Anything you want we've got right here in the USA"
just needs a little research. Cool
Nicholas

But I'm not in the USA! Wink

I'll have a search anyway. See what's comes up.

Cheers

Last edited by Karmann_65 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

https://www.agriemach.com/p770-thermoguard-fr-ones...HcEALw_wcB
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

paul_round wrote:
https://www.agriemach.com/p770-thermoguard-fr-ones...HcEALw_wcB

Thanks for the link Paul
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

It's been a very long time (years Shocked ) since I rebuilt this 1500cc SP engine with new barrels, pistons and cylinder heads. Apart from regular hand turning it's not moved and has been kept under a sheet with rags stuffed down the inlet ports.

Finally it's back on the bench looking for some TLC.

What things should I look out for before refitting the tinware and installing the engine back into the car? Plan is to give everything a good clean and repaint before refit. Should any seals etc be changed again even if they were new during the rebuild? The oil will get changed regardless.

Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Got some parts back from powder coating this week and couldn't resist a quick look in situ before final assembly.

Tinware, fan house, pulleys and the oil stand all got the satin black treatment for the stock look.

I'm in the process of cleaning out the carb and will fit the inlet mainfold when that's all ready.

I'd completely forgotten about the snapped off fuel pump pedestal inside the block from years ago but managed to get all the big pieces out after much ado.

Awaiting new exhaust gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, pulley belt, fresh air hoses, ignition leads, spark plugs, dynamo strap, mechanical fuel pump (with new pedestal) and engine oil. This is all now on order and should be here this week.

Between now and then I'll be fitting lower door seals with marine grade Sikaflex (1 done and 1 to go) and getting the final seals in the engine bay ready for the engine refit. Very Happy
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

^^^ NICE. If you ever run out of bowls in the kitchen you can just eat your ice cream right off that motor Very Happy
There is something uniquely beautiful about a stock ACVW motor.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: