Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Is the vent on the neck of the fuel tank open?

You could possibly have a vacuum lock which prevents fuel flowing to the rear by gravity, after some time of use caused by the fuel pump.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Is the vent on the neck of the fuel tank open?

You could possibly have a vacuum lock which prevents fuel flowing to the rear by gravity, after some time of use caused by the fuel pump.

The tank has just been refurbished and when it came back from powder coating I checked that the filler neck vent was nice and clear. To be doubly sure, I ran the initial start ups with the fuel cap completely off. Thanks anyway. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Very good trick for using the car without the cap on

Have you also tried to blow compressed air through the metal chassis line?

I am assuming that the fine metal screen inside the tank is 100% clean.

If the above are fine I would focus on the fuel pump again.

Have you tried to tee in and connect pressure gauge? This should be around 2.5 -3 psi.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Very good trick for using the car without the cap on

Have you also tried to blow compressed air through the metal chassis line?

I am assuming that the fine metal screen inside the tank is 100% clean.

If the above are fine I would focus on the fuel pump again.

Have you tried to tee in and connect pressure gauge? This should be around 2.5 -3 psi.

All good suggestions and I'll tell you where I'm at.

I no longer have access to a compressor so may have to resort to lung power. Does a directional inline filter stop you blowing back up the pipe towards the tank?

This tank has no mesh screen fitted at all. I'm relying on the inline filter after the metal line to capture any crud should it ever occur. The inside of the tank is in superb shape as it never got long term stored with fuel in it. I've seen how clean it is using a torch and mirrors. Wink

I fit a new mechanical pump and it failed the jug of fuel test miserably. I happened to have an old Brosal pump knocking about and that passed the same test with flying colours.

If I remove the new in line filter and blow back up the metal line, I should hear bubbles coming from inside the tank. If so then gravity should do its thing to that point and I just have to persuade the fuel travel the final section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Although filters are directional normally fuel still flows if they are the plastic 'cheap' style.

Are you sure there is no crud in the metal line which passes through the chassis, that is causing a blockage.

You could also possibly jack the front end of the car ane verify the flow by gravity.

Could you possibly try and use this since you have do not have access to compressed air https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scanfx-professiona...that-dust! ?

Is the stroke height 13 mm of the fuel pump push-rod?
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Although filters are directional normally fuel still flows if they are the plastic 'cheap' style.
I've got the standard cheap filter installed

Are you sure there is no crud in the metal line which passes through the chassis, that is causing a blockage.
I can prove that by taking the filter off and blowing back to the tank. That's if gravity doesn't tell me first. Rolling Eyes

Is the stroke height 13 mm of the fuel pump push-rod?
You may have just hit the nail on the head. The rod only sticks up a few mm above the plastic fuel pump pedestal. It's entirely possible I could have the short type rod fitted. I'll give it a measure.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:

Turns out the metal fuel line through the tunnel section was blocked solid. Old fuel gone bad from sitting so long. Rolling Eyes

With no obvious way to clear it I've run a new 3m length of SAE J30 R9 Ethanol tolerant hose from the tank, through the bulkhead in front of the passenger foot plate and tightly alongside the tunnel concealed by the carpet underlay. Then under the back seat and out again where it now crosses over the gearbox to a filter before heading into the engine bay. Smile

The other job I got done this week was to have two mirrors hand cut by a local glazier. Simply a case of making card templates and handing them over. It's not a job I could do and turned out to be a bit of a bargain (IMHO). £20 for both mirrors including a tube of the correct glue that will not affect the mirror backing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

After much deliberation and a bout of bowel cancer, I've decided the only way this project is going to get finished is to send the car away. This hasn't been an easy decision having got so far but it's all now arranged and the car will be collected in late March.

I made a "to do" list of the outstanding jobs and very much look forward to seeing the completed project in time for my lads' prom later this year. Very Happy
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

The car got collected today for the final few jobs to be done professionally.

Kind of sad that I'm unable to do the last few % of the work but super exciting that this project will at long last be complete. Smile
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:

The car got collected today for the final few jobs to be done professionally.

Kind of sad that I'm unable to do the last few % of the work but super exciting that this project will at long last be complete. Smile

You might think it sad Brian but looking back at the story and all of the hard work you've put into the '65 your overriding feeling should be PRIDE.

The project has made a great sticky for others to follow. We all hope to see it on the road soon. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Quote:
You might think it sad Brian but looking back at the story and all of the hard work you've put into the '65 your overriding feeling should be PRIDE.

The project has made a great sticky for others to follow. We all hope to see it on the road soon. Very Happy

Thanks John, of course I'm proud but it was no less difficult to see it hauled off down the road for its final touches to be completed in the hands of another. Wink
While its away I'll be having a big garage sort out and taking the rare opportunity to re-paint the floor there in readiness for its return.
To this day I still meet people who ask what I intend to do with it when its finished..."are you going to sell it?"
Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Well here it is! First time out on the road and enjoying the sunshine Cool

I'd like to thank everyone who has taken time to comment on this thread and for the thousands of views. Never would I have imagined that my little Ghia project would have created such an interest but I truly believe we get out of these things what we put in.

Here's to many happy outings and future smiles per mile Green Ghia Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

That's a front cover Ghia Brian, congratulations. Nice to see it getting a lot of love on FB too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Excellent come back, well done indeed Applause Applause Applause
75 Baywindow
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Beautiful car and a great color. It will turn heads where ever it goes. Nice work.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

A stunner for certain Cool Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
That's a front cover Ghia Brian, congratulations. Nice to see it getting a lot of love on FB too. Smile

You're too kind Sir! But I am rather pleased Very Happy

restocal63 wrote:
Excellent come back, well done indeed Applause Applause Applause

Marcdeb wrote:
Beautiful car and a great color. It will turn heads where ever it goes. Nice work.

kingkarmann wrote:
A stunner for certain Cool Cool

Thank you. When you have a dream........ Arrow
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

That's clinched it for me. I'm impressed with the way those wheels look. The 10 slot trims and flat hubcaps are fabulous. I might just get my set cleaned up and ready to go back on with the original rims. Though I love my Enkies I'm tired of limitations from the narrowed front beam.

Nicholas
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
That's clinched it for me. I'm impressed with the way those wheels look. The 10 slot trims and flat hubcaps are fabulous. I might just get my set cleaned up and ready to go back on with the original rims. Though I love my Enkies I'm tired of limitations from the narrowed front beam.

Nicholas

Those that know, know. Right? Tidy 10 slot wheel trims were not an easy item to track down but they do give it a certain "bling" factor. I spent quite a while knocking the dents out of the hubcaps where the PO had fitted them with a hefty whack.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NOOB Story. Got a 1 PO ’65 Coupe Reply with quote

Karmann_65 wrote:
Well here it is!

Just gorgeous Applause
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: