Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux Battery/Yandina wiring diagram
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

This diagram is ...
Helpful
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Somewhat helpful
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Bogus - start over
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 24

Tracey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might not have enough charging power to keep up to the fridge. What kind of power does it use? your charger will have to do that much or better.
Just a side note here...using an on board charger might make some noise at night when your trying to sleep. Any charger Ive ever used in the garage has always had a load of noise with it while charging.
Have a nice day.
Tracey
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: To AC or not to AC Reply with quote

I would not expect to have that small charger run the fridge and charge the batteries in any significant way at the same time. The fridge needs an average of something like 1 amp so not much left for the batteries.

As to how that charger would react to the fridge cycling on and off at 3 amps I just don't know. Better to get a charger that can handle the fridge draw, like a 4 amp unit or something.

I just bought a selectable charger for this exact use. It has settings for battery type and charge rate, 2,8,12amps. It cost $30 shipped. I trimmed the wires down and the case too and will be mounting it behind the driver's seat wired to the inverter there, to share the same power connections to the battery bank that the inverter uses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark

scottjk wrote:
I just spoke with TF and the AC/DC model is back ordered for 30 days. Also they will be priced higher than before but at this point they couldn't give me a price other than "they will not be cheaper". Smile

I'm planning on using a Battery Minder+ when hooked to AC power to maintain the yellow top Optima.

http://www.thebatteryminder.com/12v133abatteryminder-p-29.html

Do the gurus think that this will provide enough power to charge the battery as well as run the fridge?

Thanks

Scott
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Schumacker Charger Reply with quote

I have that exact charger. I have used it in the van and all I can say is that charger is UBER LOUD due to the small cooling fans. I had to run an extension cord out the window and put the charger under the van so I could sleep.

Point taken though on the Battery Minder+. I'm going to wait for the ac/dc model to come out because my situation gives me AC power most nights.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Scott
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Schumacker Charger Reply with quote

Yes, any battery charger with a fan will make noise, as will any fridge with a compressor. If I intended to sleep the night in a van with a charger running I would buy a Guest 2608A or similar. Those are about $60 if you shop carefully. 6 amps, 3 stage, no fan, Marine rated.

Mark

scottjk wrote:
I have that exact charger. I have used it in the van and all I can say is that charger is UBER LOUD due to the small cooling fans. I had to run an extension cord out the window and put the charger under the van so I could sleep.

Point taken though on the Battery Minder+. I'm going to wait for the ac/dc model to come out because my situation gives me AC power most nights.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Scott
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Pulled the trigger.... Reply with quote

I ended up with the Vitrifrigo ac/dc. Figured the cost of the TF ac/dc will be the same with the price increase in 30 days.

Scott
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new fridge. Let us know how the install goes.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled the trigger.... Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
I ended up with the Vitrifrigo ac/dc. Figured the cost of the TF ac/dc will be the same with the price increase in 30 days.

Scott

Scott - where did you source the Vitrifrigo? Does Truckfridge sell both? I'm looking at the TF 65 for my adventurewagen but would consider the Vitrifrigo if it's cheaper. Thanks much for your response!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled the trigger.... Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
scottjk wrote:

Scott

Scott - where did you source the Vitrifrigo? Does Truckfridge sell both? I'm looking at the TF 65 for my adventurewagen but would consider the Vitrifrigo if it's cheaper. Thanks much for your response!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352412
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled the trigger.... Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352412

Thanks, I've read that thread. It doesn't answer my question. It's unclear to me where Scott picked up his Vitrifrigo.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Fridge Sale Reply with quote

I bought it from Truck Fridge, they sell both. Just call Andrew.

Scott
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360, did you ever start your install?

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Electric Wizard wrote:

The actual install not yet. The high pitched clicking in the left rear wheel turned into 4 new CV joints. That was my TruckFridge/aux. battery fund. In July I plan to have the aux. battery installed, then drive around in the summer with a cooler to see how well we actually like the Dometic-vacated space for storage, then go from there.

I am done with my schematic if anyone wants an electric copy (OpenOffice Draw file).
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Mr. Electric Wizard wrote:

The actual install not yet. The high pitched clicking in the left rear wheel turned into 4 new CV joints. That was my TruckFridge/aux. battery fund. In July I plan to have the aux. battery installed, then drive around in the summer with a cooler to see how well we actually like the Dometic-vacated space for storage, then go from there.

I am done with my schematic if anyone wants an electric copy (OpenOffice Draw file).

I'll take one.
You can email me at [email protected].
Since the isolator I was going to use will not work with my Bosch alternator I am going to more than likely end up going with a Yandina relay myself.
Especially since I can still hook up a inverter/charger/switch with it.

--1966 De Luxe Camper
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I didnt see it but why Won't the isolator work with your alternator and is it Bosch specific???
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sure Power isolator I have is a Group 2 isolator, which is for AC Delco alternators.
A Group 3 isolator has to be used with a Bosch alternator.
I have the incorrect isolator for the application.

--1966 De Luxe Camper
afmercure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know I'm a little late to jump into this thread. Hope someone will provide some answers. I'm considering a similar setup and have a few questions. But first, Singler3360, how is your setup working? What's the size (ah) of your battery? How long can you run your fridge on the battery? How long does it take to recharge from the alternator? Now, my questions about the diagram:

1. Dogpilot suggests using a 30 amp fuse between alternator and aux battery. What amperage can we expect there? How can we get the most from the alternator, to charge the aux battery as fast as possible, without shorting its life? Any advantage to use the Yandina c150 over c100?

2. Could we use a Surepower 1315 or 1314 between the two batteries and charge the aux battery as fast as with a Yandina? Any advantage to use 1315-200 over 1315 for that setup?

3. What happens if the engine is started while the charger is still connected to shore power?

4. To add a solar panel as a 3rd source of charging power, where in that diagram would you connect the solar controller? Again, what happens if two or three charging sources are working at the same time?

5. It seems to me like an ac/dc TruckFridge would always work on ac in that setup. It's using the source with the highest voltage available (http://westyventures.com/fridgeinfo.htm). So when shore power is NOT available, wouldn't it take AC current from the inverter, thus with a loss?

Thanks for any input,
Alain
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember the yandinas are 100A. they use a combination of wire size and cycling to safely transfer the high amps through their smaller wire. putting a 30A fuse on it would severely limit its functionality. from the yandina site:
Quote:
The combiners can survive 4 times their rated capacity for a short period of time so the fuse should have at least this capacity. Even larger currents can occur for milliseconds after the contacts close so a "Slow Blow" fuse should be used...

that's right - yandina is recommending a 400A slow-blow fuse.

using a yandina 150 won't let your alternator charge the batteries any faster (unless you've installed a custom larger alt) but might theoretically help only marginally when the aux battery is so discharged that the combiner allows a huge current between the main and aux batteries.

there are advantages to the yandina over the surepower, info here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360519

but you need to think about the bidirectional issue when using solar - info here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360837
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afmercure wrote:

5. It seems to me like an ac/dc TruckFridge would always work on ac in that setup. It's using the source with the highest voltage available (http://westyventures.com/fridgeinfo.htm). So when shore power is NOT available, wouldn't it take AC current from the inverter, thus with a loss?

Thanks for any input,
Alain

you are right, so leave the 110v plug on the fridge unplugged unless shorepower is available. That is what I do.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Quote:
that's right - yandina is recommending a 400A slow-blow fuse.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sorry that is to funny.
Why would you put a 400A slow-blow fuse fuse in a Vanagon.
Stock alternator is 90A a Subaru has 120A so how do you get to 400A.
By the way with a 400A slow-blow (should you find one) you don't need a fuse at all because your van has melted before the fuse Twisted Evil

I have a relay setup with a 105A/h battery under the rear bench.
My battery/relay has only 3' of 8ga wire (not much drop to be expected) directly to the starter.
Relay is fused with 40A and has not blown yet. Even after running it pretty hard this summer (CR50 Dometic + lights and radio).

The story about having a special method to get more amp thru a small gauge wire I have never heard before.
Actually Yandina says not to shorten the wire because its a limiter.

I'm not a electrician but had to take some electrical classes.
That said I think dogpilot is right 30/40A is plenty your battery will limit itself to about that as a max.

Michael
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to think the alternator is the only current source in the car. Think again. What happens when you have a fully charged battery, and suddenly connect it to a deeply discharged one.

Hint: the alternator isn't even in this picture. You could set up this circuit on the floor in your garage.

Yandina knows their stuff. Like them, I don't think that any fusing is needed in the combiner circuit, but if you did want to use one against dead shorts, their recommendation is accurate if you want to be able to use all the aux battery capacity but avoid nuisance blowing.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: