Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Lace painted VW's?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

im getting the stuff together so my friend with talent can do this to my 69 bus and wanted to find other vw's painted like this. ive looked all week and only the ghia here and what apears to be a notch. post up pics of laced VW's. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of VW's, but you can try here for some good ideas you can apply to your VW:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lace+paint+job+images

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

Okay I know I am digging up a very old dead thread, but this is where my search lead me.

my bus will be going to paint soon and will be painted with Glasurit line 22 single stage. It will be Chestnut on the top and Bamboo on the bottom.
Simple enough...however I have recently seen this video:
https://youtu.be/pcvm3gppPzs

And now I am thinking I want something similar on my roof. The paint colours on the bus being painted are close to mine and I love the kinda ghosted lace.
So, it seems to be obviously a base clear kinda thing, but I am just wonder what your opinions are regarding a body that is single stage and a roof with that type of effect done with base/clear metallics?

Thanks, Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

I have noticed there is not a whole lot of turn over of threads here in the body and paint section of the Samba, which you think there would be considering it bridges all models.

Anyways, I am planning on moving ahead with the Lacing idea for my bus. It is heading to the painter today and I will discuss all colour choices as well as brands of paint being used. If he's cool with laying the lace base coats for me before an airbrush artist adds some flare would be great.

Here is the lace I have for the roof. It is not as fancy floral as I was looking for, but more of a geometric floral that has a nice amount of stretch to hug the roof.

The colour I have picked for the top half of bus is L73 chestnut brown (nearly black) in a glasurit line 22 single stage. over the lace I am hoping to spray a House of Kolor dark rootbeer Kandy pearl. With these two colours the lace with remain "Ghosted" somewhat, as the pearl and Kandy will only show at certain angles...I hope.

I will have to see about the two brands of paint working together. Many say that Glasurit line 22 can be cleared over as long as you're inside that 18hr window. We will see.

Gordo.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

You definitely need clear coat over paint/lace to seal/protect it. It's worth the work/money on every paint job. Paint color & clear all the same day.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

Well I got the bus into the booth and went over all the plans with my painter.

We are going to paint the whole bus in the single stage. Then I will take the bus home and begin all the assembly. Which will give all the paint time to cure before colour sanding and buffing. Then we will tackle the roof lace. We will scuff it enough to promote a good bond and go from there. Once complete we can buff out the whole thing.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

So the work on my Bus has continued and is nearing the completion of main paint job.
I think this is where I take the bus home and begin to make it drivable. Then I will return and tackle the lace ghosting and the two stencils I had made for the roof also. Then there will be some time again I guess to let the clear on the roof to cure before we tackle the colour sanding and buffing.

If this all works, it will be epic.

Gordo.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

I was browsing around and found this video of a spray-bomb lace job. Looks good....

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

80 pages worth here

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/candy-...nt.257556/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
So the work on my Bus has continued and is nearing the completion of main paint job.
I think this is where I take the bus home and begin to make it drivable. Then I will return and tackle the lace ghosting and the two stencils I had made for the roof also. Then there will be some time again I guess to let the clear on the roof to cure before we tackle the colour sanding and buffing.

If this all works, it will be epic.

Gordo.

I am wondering what it all turned out like? Lets see some after pics and hear what you learned/would do different? Thank you!
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any Lace painted VW's? Reply with quote

Rendered this as a joke and posted it on my work instagram for April Fools telling people I had changed directions with my Oval project. lol

Anyways, it's laced! 3D model, rendered by me. Not everyone's style but an overwhelming amount of people online have actually loved it. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: