Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Wire back to starter- Too Thick for starter stud?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Alternator Wire back to starter- Too Thick for starter stud? Reply with quote

If any of you have been following my ongoing starter problem threads- Found the sum of all my problems. A self tapping screw I foolishly used on my floor went into the red/black wire that tells the starter to start. Embarassed Was hard to find, but I'm sure thats what has given me so much trouble.

Anyways- Got a new starter today, took the last warrantied one in because I'm fairly sure the solenoid wasnt working. New ones pretty much the same but different- The stud for the batt cable/alt wire is a good bit shorter. Rolling Eyes

I'm just assuming everyone has the same thick alternator return connector, if not-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now my question is- Would it be alright to cut this large connector off and put a simple flat one on? Or would that mess up the charging circuit? I really dont want to take another starter back to the FLAPS for the 3rd time, but if it has to have that special end on it I guess thats what I'll have to do.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your electrical connection comes on the mating surfaces of the connector, so you don't need that thick old thing.
Cut it, crimp & solder the "flatter" replacement & get on with it...

Happy Trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mass of the connector also absorbs heat though. I'm wondering if for some reason that is needed on that particular connection. It's at a point where you are getting a very high amperage distributed to the entire vehicle. A smaller connection will heat up more. Just a thought.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed that's a wiring upgrade for 85+ (?) Vanagons
I clipped our and soldered/crimped a heavy Ring terminal (any FLAPS/Marine store) to make that connection when I switched mom's Automatic starter($150) for a 76-79 bay automatic starter ($50) with the shorter solenoid stud.

*note 76-79 Bay AT starters are LONGER (+more hp)then a vanagon and some adjustment of the throttle rod/kickdown rod was necessary to reach around the new motor.
$50 Bay AT starters are available via NAPA & Pepboys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: