Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 bus question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Hi all. Looking at buying a 62 vw bus. Someone cut out the bulkhead so M-code is gone. Looks like original paint was a dove blue. But the whole bus was dove blue.. its an 11 window, but only the rears have pop outs.. was that the correct way for the windows? All stationary except for the rears? Also, would they have a solid color scheme? It seems like only the panels had solid color schemes. ...
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Maybe it’s M372 or M376.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

The Kombi (combination vehicle) has three windows down each side (in addition to the passenger/drivers doors) was painted in solid colors and was not fitted with any interior panels behind the front cabin area or any of the molding or trim found on a Deluxe Microbus.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/k.php
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Yes, it sounds like a '62 Kombi, which were all one solid color.

2 popouts is pretty normal, 6 was an option.

From what I have seen, nicer weather / warmer areas commonly got 6 pop outs.
Those areas also had more Buses survive because of the weather so now it seems like 2 popouts are uncommon.
I don't think that was true originally.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

The Kombi would have been the bare-bones window bus, one step up from the panel. (Basically a panel with windows and seats.)

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Yep!! Looks like your right... its a Kombi, and not a microbus.. with that said, can you add popout windows to the other windows on this style bus?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

I was confused about pop out window location (was thinking behind the cab seats would be normal location for a two pop out bus).
As noted, rear is normal (pic from Gallery).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

My question is, can you add popout windows to the ones on the bus that are stationary? I want them all to be openable.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
My question is, can you add popout windows to the ones on the bus that are stationary? I want them all to be openable.

Go up to the "Technical" button at the top of this webpage. Left click on that. Next page is tons of need to read info of all sorts. Scroll down to the "Technical Instruction Manuals" column, in that is the "Technical Bulletins" left click on that. Technical Bulletins show all that the dealer could do for the VW owner to ass options at the time of purchasing the VW or later down the road. Check out all the various sections there, but for now the "Body" section is what you want.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Yes, window parts are available. Requires welding.
https://www.busdepot.com/211898105a
https://www.busdepot.com/j17010
https://www.eisparts.com/threaded-plate-weld-on-body-pop-out-latch-bus-67-ea.html
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

If it were mine- I'd leave it with just the two due to its relative obscurity in your area. I have a 13w with just the two. Kind of rarish and if I added more, I'd have Lind to answer to. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
If it were mine- I'd leave it with just the two due to its relative obscurity in your area. I have a 13w with just the two. Kind of rarish and if I added more, I'd have Lind to answer to. Smile

a narrow hatch kombi with 3 rows of correct seats, or a walkthrough, would be a pretty cool bus. add the windows if you want, and put a nice pinstripe along the swage line. Order a uberkombi panel kit from clara, done!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1310616

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
Yep!! Looks like your right... its a Kombi, and not a microbus.. with that said, can you add popout windows to the other windows on this style bus?

You can if you want.

Living in Fresno, I'd want more ventilation. Fresno? Fres-YES!
In hot, dry places, safari windshields are nice.

If you were somewhere rainy, I'd not add more pop outs or safaris.
When I lived in Western WA, I de- safaried an og safari bus that was my daily driver.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:

yes, you can weld a hinge-strip on to make a functioning window - but l like to do something easier and (to me) nicer, yet very functional - add louvered jealousy windows, with screens - you can open 'um, even in the rain - that's what I added to my 1962, SO33 - only keeping the front opening windows with big spoons - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

So I got the bus home this weekend! 13 years sitting in a garage.. cleaned her up Sunday and put some wax on her to see what it came out like. She cleans up nice! I am really confused on the bulkhead cutout though.. Someone took the time to add this structural roll bar? I dont know what they planned for the seating.. I need to add back the bulkhead somehow with this roll cage though.. what do you guys suggest give the pics? I only have the bottom seat piece, and missing the top.

STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

here is the bus seeing daylight after 13 years.. she cleaned up nie and now is in my garage.. LOL.. even came with a rebuilt 1835!

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
So I got the bus home this weekend! 13 years sitting in a garage.. cleaned her up Sunday and put some wax on her to see what it came out like. She cleans up nice! I am really confused on the bulkhead cutout though.. Someone took the time to add this structural roll bar? I dont know what they planned for the seating.. I need to add back the bulkhead somehow with this roll cage though.. what do you guys suggest give the pics? I only have the bottom seat piece, and missing the top.

looks like the bus was turkis back in the day, cool!
Also looks like this bus came with seat belt mounts, which was an option in 1962, and pretty uncommon.

Not sure what to say about the bulkhead... guess you can buy a new repro bulkhead and find a front seat backrest?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

Cut out the roll bar to weld in the bulkhead. Up to you if you want to weld the roll bar back in later.

Get the front seat belts so they are using the proper front seat belt mounts. What you have now will just peel loose in a crash.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

as said above, cutting out the "roll bar" and putting back the bulkhead and stock front seats is both proper, and also economical, while also not super difficult.

At the same time, it is half way towards a walk through conversion, buy the rest of the sheet metal used, and complete the job. And, then, buy the really expensive walk through seats.

or, cut out the roll bar, and install a used westy flip seat, for a TON of money, and convert it to a proper westy camper for even more money.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

or, cut out the roll bar, and install a used westy flip seat, for a TON of money, and convert it to a proper westy camper for even more money.

and buy the lower walk thru sheet metal to do that properly.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus question Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:

What in the hack, err.....I mean *heck* is going on here? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: