Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, Why no Westfalias on the Highways?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astro Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many, many in Bellingham, Wa. I easily see 10 a day.

How many? Many many.
'03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 4-5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 255 70R16 AT's, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Guacho couch, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, well even if there aren't many on the roads in this area, it is good to see so many replies on the list!

Yes, we've been the OR, WA, CA route, and lost count of the vans on that road. We know there are lots in Vancover (Canada), and in Quebec. When we were looking to buy this one, there were dozens for sale in those two areas. But we finally found this one in Loon Lake, Saskatchewan! Shocked

It is a good trip. We've been around the world by various means a couple of times, but this year was the Round Canada (which expanded into the Round Canada-USA) trip.

We do look forward to meeting those of you going to Bus Fusion. And will try to look up the contact in Manitoba.

Cheers, and good roads to you all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're passing thru Upstate NY, Right in the middle is our Empire VW camping Club Where I-81 & I-90 cross and points all along both those highways.

www.empirevwcamping.org

Hey Ben, join up with us next spring for a NY to FL Treffen to participate in the Sunshine Skyway Wild Weekend events.

we're taking the Atlantic coast from Assateague, (wild horses) to Fort DeSoto.. *see my Sig link.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockfish wrote:
Besides our Westy (1), we have:
- a Westy and CountryHomes on each side of our house (neighbors) - 2
- a Westy one block away - 1
- a Westy 2.5 blocks away - 1
- a Westy 7 blocks away - 1
- a Westy 9 blocks away - 1
- a Westy 10 blocks away - 1
- a Westy 12 blocks away - 1

9 Westies within a mile of our house...

Pretty good density there!

Based on my shock kits sales, Portland Oregon has far and away the greatest concentration of Westies of any city in the country, Seattle comes in a fairly distant second place.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Based on my shock kits sales, Portland Oregon has far and away the greatest concentration of Westies of any city in the country, Seattle comes in a fairly distant second place.

That could be because the Westies in those two cities have so much moss growing on the pop tops one needs all the help they can get to raise them up. Laughing
CREGAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one here in Leduc, other than mine. We had our local VW club season opener on the weekend and it had a few bays, splits but not a lot of Vanagons. Not very many in these parts unless you can put a quad or snowmobile on top and tie a deer carcass to the front. Alberta is made for monster trucks (Rig Rockets) or Rice Rockets.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
Last summer, I drove from Austin to Las Vegas and back, logging something like 5000 miles and we saw ONE other Westy. Last fall, we took a short 2000 mile trip across Texas to White Sands, New Mexico and we saw something like eight Westies - three of them in at White Sands itself.

Back in '04 we camped at a place between white sands and Las Cruces.
We were tent camping, but at the park where we camped there was a Bay Westy, a Vanagon Westy, and a Eurovan westy there at the same time.
Pretty cool.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
If you're passing thru Upstate NY, Right in the middle is our Empire VW camping Club Where I-81 & I-90 cross and points all along both those highways.

www.empirevwcamping.org

Hey Ben, join up with us next spring for a NY to FL Treffen to participate in the Sunshine Skyway Wild Weekend events.

we're taking the Atlantic coast from Assateague, (wild horses) to Fort DeSoto.. *see my Sig link.

Thanks, very interesting event and nice website. I can tell that your a good ambassador of the VW spirit!!! Next year is next year, my plan is to leave in mid January for Mexico, but, with the crises down there now i will have to wait.

I hate winter, men i hate it so bad.... so if I have to wait until April to get the hell out of my freezer i may simply die Smile Time will tell. I may end up freezing until April, do your thing and go see the grand canyon after. I want to spend more time in AZ and around, i never saw those great strange conic mountain, where the Jeep add was done. In Utah i think, or is it NM. Spring would be i nice time to travel down there.

I'm working like a dog now so my girlfriend can concentrate on her PhD. She may be done next December, or not. But April for sure. In 2 years she will make ton of money and i will do nothing, just play in my shop and work less on those stupid rusty van. Men i had it with VW.

I hate hot weather! Men i'm gonna be a grumpy old men one day Smile

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you're from Quebec and you hate the cold,shame on you.What's wrong with fixing a fuel leak on the side of the autoroute in the slush ?
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the caveman wrote:
Ben, you're from Quebec and you hate the cold,shame on you.What's wrong with fixing a fuel leak on the side of the autoroute in the slush ?

Smile

I don't think they even know what "Slush" is Smile
We should find a good picture of that horrible mix of that salt water, dirt and melting ice.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted 4 at Carlsbad State Beach camping in San Diego this weekend. I don't count the Eurovan, though it was pretty trick.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we finally found an internet connection at a rest stop near Sheffield, TX.

And we did finally see TWO Westfalias on the road.

The first at Bozo's Auto Repair and Route 66 Museum in Santa Rosa. The poor Westy was waiting for a tow to another shop somewhere else. But the museum was good.[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I must say, that is MY 1988 Westfalia at the museum!

The next one was saw was a 1985 Westfalia on the side of I10 in West Texas. So we stopped to offer help. Such a poor road warrior it was. That brown colour that camoflauges rust so well, and there was a bit of that. A couple of elderly hippies - bandanas, "Make Love Not War" stickers and all - stopped to change a blown, shredded tire.

They were on their way to Florida!

While the guy had the van up on the jack, it broke, so he had to dig a hole under the wheel to get the filled tire back on. THen he told me about the problems with "ghosts" in the electrical - wipers and headlights don't work. He checked fuses, but couldn't see why no power.

I had a peak under the dash - somehone had chopped an old fuse carier out of something like a Beetle and screwed it in. No relays were to be seen. I wished him well, and we parted company. Sure hope he makes it to Austin where he was going to find a garage.

Hey 2 - count 'ém - 2 Westfalias in 3,000 km and 7 days!
Have fun.[/img]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee I drove the twenty miles into town and back today without seeing a single Vanagon of any style. Very unusual, more typically I would see half a dozen. Sad
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the day off today and took a pleasure drive up north (for the drive and to look for morels) into the mountains...(well in Quebec we call them mountains.. anyway) I saw two others besides mine. Up here they all hibernate for the winter (as do I - I become a recluse) but now that it is getting nice out.... Very Happy
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagons are popping out of the wood work around my home in Summit County, Colorado. All winter, I saw one or two. Then last week, I saw 8 in one day. They must be coming out of hibernation.

For the last week, I have been on the road to Flagstaff. Saw my first Westy today. It was a beautiful blue one pulling a small enclosed trailer and caravaning with an RV. Gathering from the plates, they were from Oregon and heading south through Monument Valley, UT on Hwy 163.

It always brings a smile to my face each and every time I see a Westy on the road.

See ya on the road fellas!

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw three Vanagon Westies (one was mine) and a 7-passenger Syncro at the same intersection today (NE 39th & Sandy). Lot's of waving and peace signs being thrown around.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen two vanagons in the past three years here in arkansas. There few and far between. And a few months ago we covered 4500 miles from arkansas down thru mexico and back and didnt see a single vanagon.
Hal87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we have identical twin westies, and you MUST have driven through Albuquerque--too bad we didn't cross paths. You are right though, it is the wrong time of year--spring break is over and summer vacation is yet to start. Saw more than a dozen Van or Euro westies on the spring break trip to the Moab area, Canyonlands and Arches, incluing FIVE synchros! Of course the weather went south and it started howling wind and FREEZING! (Well for a guy from ABQ, probably not for someone from the Great White North....) Have a great trip!
sgtpepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird. I see at least two every big trip I take, except once I drove all teh way to colorado without seeing one. I went camping in malibu a month ago, and shared the campground with two vanagon westys that happened to be there. It was sweet at first, but we're a young crowd, and I think we kept them up a little later than they wanted with our guitar playing and laughing. ( and drinking). good to see them out there, though.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: on the road Reply with quote

We are leaving Nova Scotia on July 4th...heading for Vancouver Island. I'm sure I will see my fair share of vans and hopefully none of the slush Ben was refering to.

There are a few Westy's around Halifax that I see on a regular basis. Some are out all winter since our weather is a BIT more moderate than Quebec. I'm thinking I notice more now that I'm in the club!

If you see the little ugly beige van from Nova Scotia say hi or bonjour. We are a fully bilingual van and can even speak American. hehe.

B.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: