Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Oval Vert Restore - The Volks Shop
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Oval Vert Restore - The Volks Shop Reply with quote

Trying to get this Vert done early this year in time for some shows......

Here's a few shots over the last couple months...... Our buddy Juan is on body work and paint........me, mixedup59, and tony3 trying to make the rest happen.

Car as it sat in March after telling Juan it's on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Plenty of rust discovered
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Dash Repaired, only to get cut up again Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


New Pan halves
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Time to work
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


OK, here is some of the front.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


A little more rust here and there
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


OG Decklid needing a little love
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


April 19
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
I like VWs


Last edited by a-train on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim Premium Member
Rants Master


Joined: April 15, 2001
Posts: 16939
Location: GFK 27 Year Vet
Skim is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tear that shit up homeboy! Cool
_________________
GFK
Samba since before the towers collapsed. Still here.

1954 Sunroof
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1961 Deluxe SWR / BG 15 Window
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Not Safari Izzy
Samba Member


Joined: February 16, 2004
Posts: 829
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Not Safari Izzy is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job so far...keep the pics coming! Whats the original color?
_________________
DBK Nor Cal

1952 Beetle 11G
1956 Beetle 151
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest


Joined: November 01, 2002
Posts: 17017
Location: 127.0.0.1
Gary is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, as rusted as that thing is you aren't going to claims it's "too far gone"? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, that looks like an interesting project and makes the "too rusty" crowd look like fools. Please document your progress with lots of photos, because I want to be able to use this as a reference for future naysayers of "too rusty to save".
_________________
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla


Joined: August 01, 2000
Posts: 5356
Location: Ovaland, CA
Yustrn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes mine look like a walk in the park! Keep it up that first drive will make it all worth while.

Are you guys just drilling out the spot welds or do you have a spot weld remover? Just asking as my spot weld remover is kinda big for VW and trying to source something smaller.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.....

Shoot skim....ain't shit compared to some of the shit I've seen you tackle...

Not Safari Izzy wrote:
Nice job so far...keep the pics coming! Whats the original color?


Thanks Izzy, Originally L232 Iris Blue Metallic

Yustrn wrote:
Are you guys just drilling out the spot welds or do you have a spot weld remover? Just asking as my spot weld remover is kinda big for VW and trying to source something smaller.


Drilling the spotwelds.....tedious hell. Juan has got some serious skills with VW metal. He's making most every replacement piece look like original.

I'll try to keep the pics coming.
_________________
I like VWs


Last edited by a-train on Thu May 07, 2009 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member


Joined: April 29, 2006
Posts: 869
Location: Melbourne, Australia
bally is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work guys - it's inspiring me to get mine sorted Smile

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan....powdercoated a metallic silver.....prior to going back to be painted. Got to have that protective undercoating.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
_________________
I like VWs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and meanwhile, back at the bat cave.....

1st Batch of chrome to get me home..... Trying to step up my game....keep shit movin'...

A couple trinkets here and there....

Hopefully the last couple batches are done by the end of the week. We'll see.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
I like VWs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri


Joined: May 09, 2004
Posts: 2353
Location: Sea level (Mid Atlantic)
Bart Dunn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific! Applause I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together? This way is certainly more daring.
_________________
Not enough car seats fit into my:
'58 Beetle convertible
'58 Beetle sedan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest


Joined: November 01, 2002
Posts: 17017
Location: 127.0.0.1
Gary is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:
Terrific! Applause I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together?
This way is certainly more daring.
One weld at a time Laughing
_________________
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri


Joined: May 09, 2004
Posts: 2353
Location: Sea level (Mid Atlantic)
Bart Dunn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:
Terrific! Applause I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together?
This way is certainly more daring.
One weld at a time Laughing


Ba-dum bum (sound of snare drum). But seriously, how? I like this way. It has style. Panache. I might imagine you use the pan as something of a jig, bolt on the heater channels, and then set the front and back halves on top of the heater channels, hang the doors and move the halves back and forth until the door gaps look good, and then weld up the heater channels. That about how this goes?

Way cool.
_________________
Not enough car seats fit into my:
'58 Beetle convertible
'58 Beetle sedan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:
Icy wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:
Terrific! Applause I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together?
This way is certainly more daring.
One weld at a time Laughing


Ba-dum bum (sound of snare drum). But seriously, how? I like this way. It has style. Panache. I might imagine you use the pan as something of a jig, bolt on the heater channels, and then set the front and back halves on top of the heater channels, hang the doors and move the halves back and forth until the door gaps look good, and then weld up the heater channels. That about how this goes?

Way cool.


You got it Bart, that pretty much sums it up (Icy is right on too...one weld at a time). Put it back on the pan and make sure all the holes line up and all gaps are correct and start tacking and measuring. it is now tacked together and has threaded rods in place of the doors to support the body and keep it from flexing. I haven't been over to Juan's in a few days, so I don't have the latest pics. Will post progress when I get them.
_________________
I like VWs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla


Joined: August 01, 2000
Posts: 5356
Location: Ovaland, CA
Yustrn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys need any sheet metal let me know, my fabricator is always parting out cars and normally has some nice Rust Free California metal laying around at reasonable prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mixedup59
Samba Member


Joined: August 07, 2002
Posts: 703
Location: Tacoma Washington
mixedup59 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vert is coming along nicely A-train. Love that chrome shot (whatcha got for me red?) Wink

Beam is done, and off to body and paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Looking for a 58 deluxe bus rear seat top, middle seat and rear press bumper.

Check us out at https://www.facebook.com/TheVolksShop






http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355803
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest


Joined: November 01, 2002
Posts: 17017
Location: 127.0.0.1
Gary is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-train wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:
Icy wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:
Terrific! Applause I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together?
This way is certainly more daring.
One weld at a time Laughing


Ba-dum bum (sound of snare drum). But seriously, how? I like this way. It has style. Panache. I might imagine you use the pan as something of a jig, bolt on the heater channels, and then set the front and back halves on top of the heater channels, hang the doors and move the halves back and forth until the door gaps look good, and then weld up the heater channels. That about how this goes?

Way cool.


You got it Bart, that pretty much sums it up (Icy is right on too...one weld at a time). Put it back on the pan and make sure all the holes line up and all gaps are correct and start tacking and measuring. it is now tacked together and has threaded rods in place of the doors to support the body and keep it from flexing. I haven't been over to Juan's in a few days, so I don't have the latest pics. Will post progress when I get them.


Guys in the Ghia forum get too whacky when it comes to pulling a body. They're too anal about reinforcement, bracing, and all that.
_________________
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mixedup59 wrote:
Vert is coming along nicely A-train. Love that chrome shot (whatcha got for me red?) Wink

Beam is done, and off to body and paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Beam is lookin' sweet tone......I'll get to check it out in person tomorrow when I swing by Juan's. mmmm, roller bearings, nice work.
_________________
I like VWs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkation
Samba Member


Joined: December 30, 2005
Posts: 21

volkation is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: all aboard !!! Reply with quote

enjoy the ride folks ... Shocked tvs
_________________
were only buggin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mixedup59
Samba Member


Joined: August 07, 2002
Posts: 703
Location: Tacoma Washington
mixedup59 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's up trin? You back yet? I heard from Sterns about your trip.
Gimme the scoop Wink
_________________
Looking for a 58 deluxe bus rear seat top, middle seat and rear press bumper.

Check us out at https://www.facebook.com/TheVolksShop






http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355803
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2003
Posts: 702
Location: Issaquah via Parkland, WA
a-train is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
If you guys need any sheet metal let me know, my fabricator is always parting out cars and normally has some nice Rust Free California metal laying around at reasonable prices.


cool, thanks Yustrn. if I come across something else, I'll definitely hit you up. Juan has been re-fabbing most the the replacement metal I've gotten from the standard suppliers so it is as original.
_________________
I like VWs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB