Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not impressed with "Just Kampers" pop top canvas,
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Just Kampers canvas installed. This one looks much better than the tan one I did a few years back. This one seems to fit better? The lower tub ring was spot on with this one, where the tan one seemed 2-3 inches too long. Don't get me wrong, this is still a PITA job, and this one seems almost too tight when fully erected. But that should help the operation of the cheapo velcro front screen/door openings. That is my big complaint on my other one: inconsistent tightness causes the velcro to be hard to secure evenly. So I've got it out in the sun hoping it will stretch out a bit. The photos aren't the best, but this one isn't hugging the poptop lift hinges like the tan one either.

Just thought I'd post results since I was critical of my other Just Kampers top. Maybe their quality control is inconsistent or something? Oh well, I'm happy this one looks good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeldella wrote:
Just to chime in, I put this 3-window canvas on my personal van and had the same crappy results. Too tight around the lift hinges, no amount of readjusting seems to cure it. The bottom seam simply does not fit, I think I came up with about an inch or two extra that I had to fold over or something. I thought it was just me, or just a blem canvas. I bought it about 3 years ago from Bus Depot, and it is Tan. It's such a hassle of a job I never complained because I didn't feel like removing it.

So, I've got another camper I'm refurbishing. I just ordered another gray budget "Bus Depot Exclusive" canvas, and sure enough it's from Just Kampers. I've yet to install it so it will be interesting to see if it fits as poorly as my other one. Sounds like it might!
Get what we pay for, unfortunately. Stay tuned.
Joel

100 percent ditto - the bottomline is that they simply don't fit correctly. Mine is exactly the same way. I dikked around with it for a few days and no way to make it fit anywhere near like the original one did - which was WAY better quality that this flimsy POS.

You get what you pay for right???
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: