Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Follow 1967 Ruby's Restoration
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZVWlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Follow 1967 Ruby's Restoration Reply with quote

So, many asked that I keep them updated on my recently acquired 1967 Ruby Red Bug that I purchased for $1,000.00. Just to update, I found this car sitting under a cover that had not moved in over 10 years. It had four flat tires, and rusted out running boards. But the body is nearly perfect, NO rust anywhere else, the floor pans look new, the body is all matching and still original paint, original chrome, lights, everything. The interior is completely original down to the last detail, nothing has been changed.

The engine has been rebuilt, but still the original case and carb and parts.
So I am going to begin the clean up and restoration of this little beauty and take her back to perfect. I will probably have lots of questions but I will rely on my Samba buddies for expertise and advice. It even still had the original owners manual and original jack.

This weekend I will clean her up and try to fire her up for the first time, wish me luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Clean Up Reply with quote

Very Nice Indeed
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clean Up Reply with quote

lovethatconvertable wrote:
Very Nice Indeed
Yea very unmolested looking..great base for resto or driver.
Bugdog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, man. Good luck with her.
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice '67...that paint is gonna shine like crazy once you clean it up! looks good. I wish I lived out west Crying or Very sad
'67 Beetle (sold) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289202#3289202
OG '63 Beetle http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444566
jmw1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice find, esp for a grand...

'60 Beetle Indigo Blue
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find!! Got to love those bugs out of the desert No Rust!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little tips for the detailing / cleaning....

Mr. Clean magic erasers!!

They work awesome to clean the headliner and vinyl to new condition.

Chrome: Use Mothers chrome polish with 000 steel wool.

Glass: Windex multisurface and news paper.

Paint:
I choose Meguiar's products because of their reputation and easy availability. I used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line of products, specifically:

* #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner (a mildly abrasive cleaner that uses clay instead of silica)
* #9 Swirl Remover (a polish, which is a chemical cleaner with an emollient oil matrix)
* #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (a blend of premium yellow Carnauba wax, polymers, and other waxes; it leaves no white residue)

Some people recommend applying all products by hand. However, I used a 9-inch buffer/polisher from Sears (model 646.10659, about $100) and foam bonnets (yellow or blue, $5-7 each) for cleaning and waxing. Use 100% cotton towels to wipe off all products. A portable high-output lamp is handy for highlighting areas as you work. I also used some carpet on the floor to protect my knees. To protect parts of the car, like metal parts and plastic or rubber moulding, I used blue "Clean Release Masking Tape". It leaves no residue (great for windows and such inside your house too).

Steps
1. Wash. You need to wash the area first. You can use dish detergent if you want because the next step is going to take off any wax missed by the detergent. A gentle car wash product is fine too, just be sure to remove any road tar or bugs from the area to be restored. The rules are simple: work in the shade and with a cool paint surface; use cool water; use a gentle spray from a hose to wet the car and wash off large stuff; use a wash mitt, pad, or sponge and rinse it often (in a separate container from the wash); start at the top - wet, wash, rinse - then work toward lower sections; dry the car as soon as possible with a 100% cotton towel.

2. Clean. Cleaning your paint means removing contaminants and oxidation, adding oils, and smoothing the surface. For some explanations of what cleaners, glazes, polishes, and waxes are and how to use them, check out the following two links.

Thomas Nast's Guide to Using Meguiar's Products
Car Care Specialties' Cleaning Paintwork

Mask off the areas that you do not want to be abraded, especially rubber, rubber coated, or plastic trim. Better is to remove the trim or fixture if you can. Apply a little bit of Mequiar's #2 Cleaner to the foam bonnet on the polisher. Place the polisher against the section of car you will be working on and start the polisher. You do not need to apply a lot of pressure, but if you ease up too much polishing compound may spray about and the bonnet itself can come off. Work the polisher in a back and forth motion, and change directions often. You will get the feel for it pretty fast. Work in a small area; say a few square feet. Even though the foam bonnet is pretty forgiving, you need to be careful using the machine polisher near the edges of your bodywork and along ridges. When the polishing compound is almost dry (I swipe a finger across the compound on the car), stop, apply some more compound to the bonnet and move on to another section. If the bonnet gets torn or soaked with compound and removed paint, replace the bonnet.

An advantage of the Mequiar's cleaners is that the abrasive is a clay compound (not silica or "sand") and the more you work it in the finer it gets. I had no instances of cleaner-induced scratches on my entire car. You may need to repeat many times to get the surface appearance you desire, but it is much better to keep taking a little off each time than a lot all at once. Use a clean 100% cotton towel to wipe off the cleaner completely between applications. My 100-lb wife demonstrates in the pictures below that a lot of muscle is not required.

3. Protect. A wax coating on the paint protects it and acts as a sacrificial surface for mechanical and chemical attacks on your car. Car Care Specialties talks about the subtleties of protecting your paint at the link below.

Car Care Specialties' Protecting Paintwork

I applied Meguiar's #26 with the polisher and a fresh foam bonnet then used a cotton rag to touch up at the edges. You can also remove the bonnet and use it to hit the hard to reach areas by hand. Wipe off the wax with a clean 100% cotton towel and you are done. I have not found a good way to clean the wax off the bonnet so I just throw it away when finished.

"No matter how a VW breaks down.... You can always make it home on Zipties, Ducktape, and JB Weld...."
-Doug Christen, VW Owner

83 Rabbit GTI - 83 Rabbit LS Custom - 63 Westy - 65 Bug - 64 Baja (Herbie's Studly Cousin) - 91 Audi 90 Quattro 20v - 85 Vw Cabby - 84 VW Scirocco - 69 Beetle (Phantasm Bug) - 78 Cabriolet

Need a VW website built? PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sano66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zymol for paint. "What a Shine" for chrome. Nice find.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Follow 1967 Ruby's Restoration Reply with quote

Whatever happened with this one? AZVWLVR has been on here recently, so maybe it is still alive!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: