Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Power window cable passenger door question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Power window passenger side sort of quit working a while back. While going down there was a loud snap like something breaking. I was able to get it back up via the switch but have not dove into the problem. It will still probably go up down but uncomfortably.

In the door panel now looking at locks and figured a good time to address window if easy. Found this cable loose in door. Seems to still be attached at both ends but looks like it should mount somewhere with the plastic part I am holding.

Suggestions on where that goes and if that is/was my issue?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you!
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

That plastic part should be connected to the end of your window regulator assembly. It guides the cable and creates cable tension, which you have now lost. It is factory attached with a rivet type of connection, which fails relatively easily. I have repaired my window with a very small button head socket cap screw and lock-nut in place of the broken rivet. You will have to pull out the entire regulator to fix it.

Last edited by termuehlen on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

You can see this part (a white one on top and black one on the bottom) attached to the regulator in this image:

http://www.van-cafe.com/window-regulator-passenger-wo-motor
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

I sure appreciate the real time advice!! Trying to get the door locks working which if we are going to get on the road may have to wait as there is nothing jumping out at me that appears wrong for a quick fix. Not sure if I want to dive in to the window right now if it involves pulling the whole assembly..... but I do have everything off right now and I would like my wife to be able roll window down.

How long did that take you?
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Well that bites went over to driver door to feel where that cable guide tensioner goes, reached down and touched it and Bam it came off in my hand.

Now both front windows not going to work. Guess the PDL will have to wait. Guess it's Bentley time haven't needed to open that for a while!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

The plastic rivet that hold that corner piece is the weak point in the factory regulator. You can remove the assembly and use a metal rivet or small nut and bolt to attach it back in place.
There is a guy in the classifieds that can rebuild them for you if you prefer that route.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

I've sent you a PM. Let me know.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Well cancelled camping trip and planning on tackling the two issues.. The power window assembly is out on passenger side. Opened it up as I could not get enough cable to attach the plastic corner bracket.

The cable was backlashed onto itself and all screwy. Showed my wife what I was up against and that I was just going to replace it. She wanted to try and fix and is convinced she has. She had the patience to rewind the cables opposite of each other and now wants to try. It was a pisser getting it out and the last thing I want to do is put it in just to take it back out.

16CVs I do not have a pm from you as of yet.

davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

You can apply 12v to the motor with the regulator out to test your repair. Switching the wires will change the direction of the motor. I just replaced both Regulators and power lock actuators with new from Van Cafe.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

. I have rebuilts on the shelf. Mine are all OE German and not Chinese re pop.
The PM is through Samba.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980

Last edited by 16CVs on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

They are a PITA to fix, but doable. All the kinks in the cable make it hard to get the cable rerun properly. Mine both busted many many moons ago so they worked longer after being repaired than they worked prior to being repaired.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Sent regulators to 16cvs last week he received them on Friday, 5 days later they were on my front porch. USPS pulled up while my wife and I were installing a Fiamma 45s 10 footer that I have been meaning to do for many years, we absolutely love it!

My power window motors worked fine but decided to have him go through them since he was doing the regulators and I am hoping not to have to open the doors up for another 20 years.

Installed the passenger side last night worked perfectly. Installed drivers this morning worked perfectly.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. If you could put this into the SAMBA feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for the business, yours are #456 #457, Hopefully I will crest 500 rebuilts by the end of the years.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Hi folks.

For my daily driver 1988 Vanagon up here in Canada. i.e. for now, I hope to make a temp repair.

The black plastic thing at end of cable to top of track has come loose from track.

Has anyone made a satisfactory temporary fix to this part using a cable strap to secure it to track?

Thanks,

Neil.

Not my pic. I can supply pics of mine if need be.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hi folks.

For my daily driver 1988 Vanagon up here in Canada. i.e. for now, I hope to make a temp repair.

The black plastic thing at end of cable to top of track has come loose from track.

Has anyone made a satisfactory temporary fix to this part using a cable strap to secure it to track?

Thanks,

Neil.

Not my pic. I can supply pics of mine if need be.

Is there no place for you to put a screw thru it to secure it in place?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Problem is now that once it’s loose and if the motor was turned the cable Is now wound up in the wheel house.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Here's mine, it lasted longer after the repair than it did from the factory. Not sure if I used a #6 or #8 machine screw. The hard part of the repair is stretching the kinked up cable out to get everything to fit back together.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Is there no place for you to put a screw thru it to secure it in place?

I was hoping not to have to take things apart but it seems strapping that part back to the lift thing is not feasible. But yes, it seems it could be attached with a screw.

Stacy: thanks for that info. The window was going down, [edit] not all the way back up obviously. [end edit] I'll see what I can do to make sure the cable isn't crammed up inside the wheel house.

Wildthings: Ok, thanks for that. Guess I'll take it all apart, do the repair that way. What you show is the bottom end of track? Hopefully the plastic at top end can be done in a similar way.

I'll search this up but I'd guess lubing the cable can't hurt while I"m in there.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

The top rivet has a quite large head, not sure what its function is.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power window cable passenger door question Reply with quote

The top rivet is machine done, my feeling is that as part of the assembly they but the wheel house together and the stretched the cable and manually inserted the plastic rivet. If they had used a better fastener the failures would have been greatly reduced.

Grading or lubing them is not as beneficial as you might think. Everything rides on and in nylon and grease and lube just attracts dirt.

When you can’t get it back together I can get going for you or offer an exchange rebuild.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: