Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new motor will not start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeekstok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: new motor will not start Reply with quote

ok .... i had a 2.1 built into the 1.9 crankcase for an '84 vanagon... i installed the motr and at first it wouldn't spark and i replaced peice by peice the intire ignition system just short of the key cylinder and i have spark now.... the fuel system has been primed we aligned everything TDC and it just gives us pops but only when we retard it...... but i can't get this thing to start!!!

the only thing that i notice is that the temperature gauge blinks and goes all the way up when the key is turned over.... even when the sensor is unplugged, ... does it do that normally when it isn't running and can that effect it starting (should be a bypass when unplugged other wise there would be busses on the side of the road every where).... if any one has any thoughts, that would be extremely helpful

thankyou
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like timing.

I don't have my Bentley in front of me, but IIRC, it's possible to install the distributor drive gear (in block) incorrectly.

Was it installed correctly?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jpeekstok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we did the screwdriver test when the motor was at TDC and the rotor aligned correctly to the #1 mark on the distributor... i am worried that with all of this cranking i am destroying my $2k motor!! : (
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your coolant gauge behaviour, check connections at coolant sensors. Don't know about Digijet or Digifant, (you're running Digijet?) but Motronic needs input from coolant sensor for it to run properly.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeekstok wrote:
well we did the screwdriver test when the motor was at TDC and the rotor aligned correctly to the #1 mark on the distributor... : (

And then you checked the valves on #1 to be sure they were closed. TDC comes up twice. 4 cycle engine __________remember.
Your temp wire is most likely grounded and your firing order is off 180'.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, timing.

As for the light flashing and temp going full hot when sensor is disconnected, NORMAL!

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Engine timing, etc. Reply with quote

Check the timing with a timing light as engine is being cranked. That will help get you in the ball park on timing.

Also, we have to assume you are running Digijet system. Either way, all the sensors, grounds, etc., have to be properly connected. On the 1.9 engine, the engine temp sensor and the temp sensor for the ECU are located close together...... check the manual for proper location.

And, as suggested, confirm that #1 is on TDC "compression" to establish that Cam is in time which affects distributor timing, etc. Have someone to crank the engine over while you watch the rocker arms open and shut the exhaust and intake valves in order to double confirm that you are on the correct TDC (as already suggested). (Still talking #1 cylinder, right front of engine.)

All the cranking will not destroy the $2k engine .......maybe the battery and starter!

Hope you get it going!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: