Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another radio Q.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Another radio Q. Reply with quote

It's my turn to ask the radio pros a question.

I just installed 4 new Infinity speakers. I ran new wires to the front 2 but not to the rear...yet. The problem is at increased volume I get rice crispies(snap,crackle,pop) If I fade it to the front they are fine.

Is my assumption correct? New wires to the rear? On the rear passenger speaker wire the ground has two wires attached to the connector. Is this the common ground that everyone refers to?

I installed a Pioneer deck a few days ago and the system sounds mighty fine for under $400. Haven't yet bought a new window handle to replace the one I snapped. hehe.

Thanks for all the other posts...they have been a fantastic resource!
Brian.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another radio Q. Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I just installed 4 new Infinity speakers. I ran new wires to the front 2 but not to the rear...yet. The problem is at increased volume I get rice crispies(snap,crackle,pop) If I fade it to the front they are fine.

You answered your own question, use fatter wire, the thin stock stuff sucks.

If you want to check it, just hook a couple speakers to the rear and see if the sound is clear, a couple of old house speakers would work, as long as they work, you're just checking for distortion anyways.
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another radio Q. Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:

Is my assumption correct? New wires to the rear? On the rear passenger speaker wire the ground has two wires attached to the connector. Is this the common ground that everyone refers to?

Yes, Yes and Yes. My guess is that you have one of the earlier vans (i think rear speaker wires were no longer common ground in either '86 or '87)

Not a hard job.

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a slight variation on Art's suggestion, string some spare wire to the speakers temporarily and see how that sounds.

Again, the wire for nearly everything in the vans is sub-par. So if you want good clean sound, a set of new wires, of slightly larger gauge or shielded wire would improve things without doubt.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also...

best sound can be obtained by situating an amp. near every speaker -- or pair and running high level wires to the amp -- or even better, digital cable with a D to A and amp right at the speaker

it is all about how much you want to pay and how satisfied you will be with what sound quality
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to do this same project- new stereo, new speakers, new wires.

How much of a pain in the arse is it to run new wires? Any advice?

thanks!
Rob G
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a westy the factory wire path is kind of a PIA. You can use the old wire to pull the new to the AC cabinet. Or, as my previous owner did, run wires along the path with the westy electrics to the rear bench. There an amp was installed on the hump over the rear heater, and two 9" ovals where installed in the bench face. This setup provides thumping good sound, but defaces a piece of cabinetry (I actually have a spare uncut facing). For long term at the campground quiet zone. I can still run the small speakers in the AC cabinet along with the front ones by de-selecting the amp and not powering it.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: speakers Reply with quote

Thanks folks. I'll take a stab at running the wires up and over and if it gets silly maddening I'll find another route. I will run some wires back first though as a test.

As far as sound vs. expense...obviously they are directly related. This is my first season with the van and it's costing enough in the important areas to get by with a better than stock system for now. The deck and speakers have plenty of room for improvement so we can build on that.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: