Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat belts for a double cab? Solutions needed.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Rear seat belts for a double cab? Solutions needed. Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to fit seat belts into the rear seat of a double cab? I was looking at one this weekend (a '78 ), and it seems that the rear seats never had belts. I suppose that as a truck this was not required in its country of origin.

In examining the body behind the rear seat, I really didn't see anything to mount lap belts to, though curiously the shoulder mount points are there in the pillars, fitted with little plastic blanks. The only idea I have yet had is to weld in some sort of angle iron spanning the width of the bus behind the seat...

Then there is the problem of the shoulder mount for the middle position of the rear seat. I consider shoulder belts mandatory in the back, since the pony wall behind the front seats would be the target for the face of anyone sitting in the back seat with only a lap belt.

So - looking for ideas, here! Idea Question
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bay DC's have seat belt mounts, they are hiding on the bottom of the crossmember at the lower edge of the rear bulkhead. As for a center shoulder harness? Start eyeing some current Mvans and SUV's for that solution.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
All bay DC's have seat belt mounts, they are hiding on the bottom of the crossmember at the lower edge of the rear bulkhead.
Ah - on the bottom! Ha - I couldn't see under there, and didn't feel around. That would be great -- I'll have to locate these next time I check it out. Thanks!

Are these standard seat belt bolt mounts?

A remaining problem is how to mount a retraction reel down there...

And, of course the middle seat shoulder harness. Modern vehicles (like our Honda Odyssey and the Subaru Outback) have the retraction reel built into the overhead. The roof metal is just too thin on the double cab to support that. Maybe somewhere down on the crossbar, though a high mount point is still needed. Perhaps immediately below the window?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus

Last edited by jtauxe on Mon May 11, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
naynay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my DC for 12 years- and never managed to figure that out....now I know. Of course I didn't know about the Samba until I was trying to sell the Doka!

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you Can do." - John Wooden
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
All bay DC's have seat belt mounts, they are hiding on the bottom of the crossmember at the lower edge of the rear bulkhead. As for a center shoulder harness? Start eyeing some current Mvans and SUV's for that solution.
OK. Well, now that I have the bus... this one has nothing of the kind. I expect I'll have to fabricate something with a piece of beefy angle-iron across the back or something. I'll have to find a capable body welder... this is not going to be easy. But what's the point of a double-cab if you can't sit in the back (and for me, there is no sitting anywhere without belts).
hcdmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the back seat on the double cab was supposed to have non retracting seat belts. The center belt looks like it was supposed to be a lap belt only. I have seen kits that mount at any angle. It was from Just Kampers if I remember correctly. Here is a link to Ratwells site on the DC truck.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Pickups.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - I misspoke. Busdaddy, you are right! The belt mounts are not on the bottom of the crossmember, they are bit further back, in the zig-zag of supports for the front foot or so of the bed. And there are six of them -- enough for three people. Excellent! Razz

And I obviously didn't realize that R Atwell has this covered here:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Pickups.html#seatbelts

Now, the only remaining problem is where to mount the retractor reels on the sides, and figure out if there is any way at all to have a center shoulder belt. Maybe I give up on retractables in the rear, and just use standard 3-point belts.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long overdue update:

With the fabrication of some L-brackets, I did manage to install retractor reels for the side seats in the back of the DC, but the middle seat is lap only.

So - two retractable shoulder belts and one lap belt in the back. Pretty good, and it works well.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if you could post a couple photos of those brackets with the retractable belts mounted on them.
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got some nice non-retractable lap belts from NAPA for about $25. bolted right up, easy-breezy!
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 78 Double Cab that needs seat belts for the rear as well. Anyway you can post some pics on your set up/solution? Thanks!

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not posting photos earlier.

And now, the bus is all apart and on the operating table (rotisserie) so I can't get photos of my solution. Besides, it had a problem -- to get things to work on the right side, I had to remove the plastic engine air snorkel tube to get it to fit. My metal guy (owner of the rotisserie, who is doing major welding on the bus) says he has another approach for this that will not get in the way of the snorkel tube connector.

I have bookmarked this thread, and hope to be able to show the new mounts once they are fabricated. Have patience. Might be another year or so. Rolling Eyes

So, my bus is a '78 as well (RHD from Ireland). What is the history of your '78? Got any photos? Mine are here: http://vw.tauxe.net/bluebird
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat belts for a double cab? Solutions needed. Reply with quote

I was prompted to post the conclusion to this story, so here it is. It was one of those dangling threads that...

So, here is the left side rear seat retractable belt installed in the 1978 RHD 4-door double cab:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it how it is mounted to a stout piece of steel angle:

and an analogous view on the right side. Sadly, the black plastic ducting that connects the high engine air intake in the C-pillar to the frame had to be removed. The holes are here covered with painter's tape.

Under the seat, the angle is bolted to the seat belt captive nut on the body:

I hope this helps all of you trying to make your rear seat passengers to be safe. The poor sap in the middle of the rear seat still just gets a lap belt, so will smack their head on the bulkhead.
Bram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat belts for a double cab? Solutions needed. Reply with quote

Smart solution! Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: