Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics of mudflaps and mounts?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Pics of mudflaps and mounts? Reply with quote

I'll need some mudflaps to be legal. Lift kit has the body high enough that mounting them from the body is impractical.The o nly place I can really mount them will be off of the engine cage. I've got my own ideas about how to do that, but I'm always willing to steal a better one from one of you guys.

Any pics? I'm also just looking for some larger flaps, either plain or with a VW label that will work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5150bossman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What State/Country are you in?

In CA, it should be sufficient if the fender flares cover the top tread portion of the tire. Haven't seen any buggies with actual mud flaps on them here.
'04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'15 Jeep Wrangler JKUHR
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. ~Charles Kuralt
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WA State. Car will spend some time in Utah as well. While it has been my experience that enforcement in both states is not consistently applied, I would still like to take some preventative measures. The flaps and mounts that I have in mind to build will be removable, for those occassions on the trail when they are not needed,

I still have to locate some flaps and go from there. If I can't find some VW ones that are square at the top (not beveled for fenders), I'll start looking at truck supply stores and websites.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to see you spoil the look of that great buggy with mudflaps. I wonder if you could rig something to stow them up under the fiberglass when not wanted or needed. Maybe they could look like fender extensions when stowed?

An engine cage mounting would provide the most versatility and the strength you'd need if you are serious about redirecting the rooster tail of mud that beast could sling.

The amount of mud flap needed to be effective would be substantial, are you trying to meet the letter of the law or are you also hoping to meet the intent? The answer to that would possibly send you in different directions for a solution.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if I can't make something that looks good AND can be taken off easily and stowed, I'll skip it and wait until the long arm of the reaches out and taps me on the shoulder.

I've also heard from various sources that I'm less likely to get "violated" if I sport a "collector car" plate, which I might get before I start rolling down the road this summer.
Dinubadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gr8cobbler wrote: Hate to see you spoil the look of that great buggy with mudflaps. I wonder if you could rig something to stow them up under the fiberglass when not wanted or needed. Maybe they could look like fender extensions when stowed?

An engine cage mounting would provide the most versatility and the strength you'd need if you are serious about redirecting the rooster tail of mud that beast could sling.

I agree with gr8cobbler, I'd hate to see you add mud flaps or even fender extensions to the classic look of your buggy. I also agree with the removable attachments to the engine guard if your heart is set on them.

Something to consider; these buggies have been around for a long time, I would guess that most law enforcement officers would readily accept their design as being legal, especially aided with current license plates.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think, Wink It shows in your build too, quality ride.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some removable ones for jeeps. you could mount the receiver to the rear cage. if you dont like the price it might give you some ideals. http://www.jeepline.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=8621222

LightShow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can play it my way. If you get a ticket for no mud flaps, go home and rig up something, take it down to the police station and have them sign off the ticket, take it to the court house and you off free. I visit the station at least once a month for either no front plate (on my car) and no mud flaps (on our jeep).
dune limo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here you have to have mud flap's on to get them registered, if you take them off after is up to you

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen what they have to do in parts of Australia... Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: