Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank cross reference...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank cross reference... Reply with quote

I just had a 74 bus purchase towed in my sister bought for my nephew to work on ( with my help) this summer and it's sans fuel tank ( ETC Laughing ).

I am presuming/ASSuming that the tanks from 68-74( carb version) would be the same or were there some minor differences in the filler neck/venting over the years. I have some parts buses at my disposal and before I battle the wasps and mosquito's and who know's what else I was wanting to see what years would be best to attack first.

I have only ever had to just pull and clean and re install the same tank over the years not hunt down a compatible item.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything will fit in the hole but 72+ will have the closest vent hose attachments, but your bigger issue will be the fuel sender, 68-mid 73 use the tube style and mid 73+ use the external float style that uses the vibrator on the back of the instrument.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Anything will fit in the hole but 72+ will have the closest vent hose attachments, but your bigger issue will be the fuel sender, 68-mid 73 use the tube style and mid 73+ use the external float style that uses the vibrator on the back of the instrument.

I need to check the VIN again... early 74 I think.

I do not think this will be put back to full factory charcoal evap system and will most likely just be set up with basic venting.

The dash gauge cluster is suspect as well so I will take into consideration what year might be available and try to plan the sender accordingly.

I don't want to have to cut the unmolested body for a sender access hole but just may do it anyway for future needs of changing it.

A 16 year old will certainly need a fuel gauge that works! Razz Laughing

Thanks for the info... I am not studied up on what the differences are so I needed to ask. Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flabay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. KNet. Could you please explain to me how to setup "Basic Venting" on my setup. I have a 78' with a 76' 2.0L Solid lifter motor and dual Kadron 40mm's. I have no Charcoal can, and vent tube/lines are disconnected/plugged. Because of this I never fill past about 3/4 full tank. I have a locking gas gap that I think is vented? I have never understood what to do to make this safe. Thanks for any help.
Still can't figure out how to install this Charcoal Can right with my 40mm dual solex carbs. PM me please.
Click to view image
jl74supercab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keifernet - I have a tank from my 73 that is in fine shape. I only took it out to put in a tank from a 79 when I converted to FI. Sender works as well. PM me if interested.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl74supercab wrote:
Keifernet - I have a tank from my 73 that is in fine shape. I only took it out to put in a tank from a 79 when I converted to FI. Sender works as well. PM me if interested.

If I can't use the ones I have at my disposal or find one local I'll hit you up.... thanks for the offer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: