Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what's it like to drive an automatic? FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: what's it like to drive an automatic? FAQ Reply with quote

I will be looking at an automatic Bay Window Hi Top Westy with propane, not sure of the year yet. In excellent shape.

How are automatics to drive?

jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubin92GTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real fun!! no gears popping out...just put in drive and gooooo! Very Happy
krautwaggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only automatic bus I've driven drove great, but then the engine crapped out. It was my girlfriends...she didn't love the automatic then, but I think she wishes she had it. We did an engine transplant and shortly after she found a much more solid bay with a standard trans and had everything (but the automatic) swapped out. Don't let it stop you from buying it...that's for sure!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those old auto transmissions shift fairly smoothly?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Type III and Type IV automatics do! Don't see why the Type II would be any different.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last bus was an automatic and I never had any problems with it. I only missed the ability to downshift into third going up hills. I remember leaving a rest area in CT. that was at the bottom of a big hill. I floored it for the long uphill climb. By the time we got to the top I was going maybe 25 MPH. For the next few years we owned that bus we never stopped at that rest area again...
Brown_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a Vanagon Westy that was automatic...drove and shifted fine...
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have an auto someday. Anyone in the area want to let me drive theirs? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islamorada is an automatic.

2.0 litre with fuel injection. Drives like
a charm and easily cruises at 100kph which is
60mph on the highway. Gas consumption isn't
that great - 20 mpg, but she is a thrill to drive.

Kinsey

Islamorada Blue- '78 bay window
"The Spirit of Margaritaville"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '78 automatic a few years ago. Just a passenger Bus, the thing was a cruiser. It would do 70mph on the freeway, arm out the window at all times, drinking coffee in the morning with no problems, hand on my girlfriends leg.
But... catch a hill at the wrong speed, and you're screwed - small price to pay for the easy cruising.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure liked the 78 automatic in my 72! There's a lot less turbo lag when you have to shift gears. I do know that pan gaskets are difficult to find for an automatic and if you need one rebuilt you will be looking a while for a builder that knows what they are doing.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've only driven the '77 twice, and didn't think we would like an auto, but it was a very smooth and effortless drive. I think we're gonna' like it fine Smile. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parts guy said the auto's are supposed to have a special rev-limiting 5000 rpm rotor for the distributor. Looks flat, like a disc. I just use the cheap standard one, the other's kinda pricey, lol.

Test drive it. I can't really comment because I think mine needs to be rebuilt. It sometimes shifts rough into 3rd, but usually only when it's warm. If I'm lead-footed with it, it shifts pretty good, it's just kinda rough when I'm pussy-footin' around Razz The torque converter delivers power nice and smooth, pretty bulletproof trannys, from what I've heard(about my '77's anyways, not sure about the earlier years). I beat the crap out of it delivering pizza(it's my back-up ride)and it never misses a beat. It just won't die, lol.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
I sure liked the 78 automatic in my 72! There's a lot less turbo lag when you have to shift gears. I do know that pan gaskets are difficult to find for an automatic and if you need one rebuilt you will be looking a while for a builder that knows what they are doing.

Turbo lag...?

You can get pan gaskets (and every other auto tranny gasket) from Bus Depot no problem.

The auto transmission on my '77 shifts and runs smoothly and has an ungodly number of miles on it. The only real problem I have is that sometimes the bus won't start unless you move the shift lever back and forth and firmly into park. Not a problem with the transmission, though, I need to adjust or replace the switch in the shifter housing.

With my engine out, I decided to just clean the outside of the transmission of all it's 32 years of baked-on gunk. Unbelievable the quantity of filth I scraped, brushed, and hosed off it. It'll probably run 50 degrees cooler.
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Turbo lag. Manual trans: 1st gear shift, 2nd gear shift, Turbo is in, 3rd, gear shift, turbo slows down, turbo comes up, same with 4th. With my automatic I could start in 1st, turbo is in, move lever to 2nd, turbo hasn't skipped a beat and finally hit 3rd at 85 mph, Still going up to 109 mph and more but I ran out of road! Oh, check out my gallery, you will see what I am talking about......
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a turbo automatic Supra and I know what you're talking about loaf. I've been looking at getting another one. It ran so awesome, the torque converter spooling up when the turbo wasen't Twisted Evil

WhirledTraveller wrote:
The only real problem I have is that sometimes the bus won't start unless you move the shift lever back and forth and firmly into park. Not a problem with the transmission, though, I need to adjust or replace the switch in the shifter housing.

What I did was unplug the two wires going to the switch and bridge them together. Wahla, problem solved. I think I took a fuse for a more modern car, cut it in half with wire cutters, peeled away the plastic, and used one of the two spades as the bridge, plugging the wires into each end of it. That way the wires are still intact for when I want to revert back to stock. I accidentally started it once while it was in gear, and surprisingly it turned over like it was in neutral, weird, lol.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is this what your motor cost you?
$24,100 was too hard to resist.................
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theizzardking wrote:
so is this what your motor cost you?
$24,100 was too hard to resist.................

If its the bus I think it is, I bid against him on ebay, but I had a lot of money then. I quit at 23K
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not bid on my Bus when it was on Ebay, I was the seller! I had about 60% of what the Bus sold for in it. I set a reserve on the Bus at 19,000 and never really thought it would sell. 3rd day of auction it was there! I did get nervous and thought that maybe I shouldn't let it go but when it hit the 24 I decided it was time. I hit a lot of wrecking yards and swap meets looking for parts to sell to help pay for what all the Bus had. To give you an idea of how diligent I was, I actually bought a complete speedometer cluster, fuel gauge and correct clock at my last swap meet. Got the whole unit for $10.00! Clock went off to Canada as I already had one. Sold the clock for 17 times my buying price and it worked too. And, back to the original post, I LIKED the automatic!
pyrolorde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Bay window automatic Reply with quote

Hi. We have a '73 automatic (camper) with the stock 1700. Sure, you may be doing 25 MPH at the top of a long hill, but you'll be doing 25 MPH at the top of a long hill with a manual trans, too :^D

We haven't had a problem with ours, it shifts great, and most people are like, "Woah! An automatic!". I'm a VW tech and all of the old-timers I work with say there were never really many problems with them. I currently have our motor out for a rebuild and was considering a manual trans conversion, but I decided keep the auto since it has treated us very kindly thus far.

Erik
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: