Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Cool!
So what is #15 in the picture? Between the oil seal and the spindle - some sort of large seal?

Thanks- that was a fast shipping Exclamation
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

It's a paper gasket that almost no one uses.

If you really want them I have some NOS pieces...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I'm DEFINITELY not worried about originality- just want it to work and look good doin' it. Rolling Eyes

So that seal doesn't real do anything...?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

It'll probably disintegrate after a decade but that's about it. It may have been made of a corrosion inhibiting paper but beyond that, I don't know what other purpose it'd serve.

I don't have them on my current car and haven't seen them on a car in a very long time because I think they just disappear over time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the front brake hardware all bolted in. Not too bad! I was concerned that the shoes and springs would be a pain- but I figured out how to do it. Tom is going to help me get the old races out of the drum hubs and the new stuff pressed in and greased....

Getting closer Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Looking good Dave, looking good. Nice work there. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the drums packed with the new bearings and all back together. The shoes are adjusted back as far as they will go BUT there is still a slight drag on the drums...give it a good spin with the wheel/tire bolted on and it only rotates freely for 3-4 seconds. Is that normal Question Will it settle in? Do I need to modify the adjuster or shoes to make it work? Or just go ahead and bleed the brake fluid and try it out? Confused
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Got the drums packed with the new bearings and all back together. The shoes are adjusted back as far as they will go BUT there is still a slight drag on the drums...give it a good spin with the wheel/tire bolted on and it only rotates freely for 3-4 seconds. Is that normal Question Will it settle in? Do I need to modify the adjuster or shoes to make it work? Or just go ahead and bleed the brake fluid and try it out? Confused

What you might find is that the leading edge of the brake shoes might need a slight taper ground into them (knock the sharp edge off). I do however think it'll settle in though without taking it apart. I'd run it a bit, and check the temps on the drums. You find that you're fine.
How is your bearing adjustment? You might be slightly too tight. Just something to double check when using the 2 nuts and lock plate (harder to set than the locking nut).
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
dc wrote:

What you might find is that the leading edge of the brake shoes might need a slight taper ground into them (knock the sharp edge off). I do however think it'll settle in though without taking it apart. I'd run it a bit, and check the temps on the drums. You find that you're fine.
How is your bearing adjustment? You might be slightly too tight. Just something to double check when using the 2 nuts and lock plate (harder to set than the locking nut).
I hope this helps.

Good advice - same as my mechanic friend Tom just told me on the phone! I will mess with it and report back Smile
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Very Happy

That was good - my daughter is home on Winter Break and just helped me bleed the brakes. Lots of crud in the lines and lots of air Exclamation She was at the brake pedal and we went from no pedal to about 70% pedal.

Still not ALL bled but I'm not surprised - the whole front end braking system is new and the left rear wasn't really working before. I will cautiously test it in the driveway and see if it is driveable enough to get to a regular shop for a full bleed.

Used about 2/3 of a quart of DOT 3.

Weirdly - one of the front bleeders was 10mm head and the other was 11mm head - but both with the same threads. The rears were 7mm.

Car is sitting on all fours again! Hoo-ray Very Happy
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Houston we (may) have a problem... Sad

So... when I hooked up the brake hoses to the new set-up, I should have screwed it into the LOWER wheel cylinder, not the UPPER cylinder... correct?
The upper port is for the bleeder this way.

I did it backwards Embarassed
No wonder it's hard to bleed Rolling Eyes
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

It shouldn't be a big deal to swap them but you will have to bleed again.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
It shouldn't be a big deal to swap them but you will have to bleed again.

Yup.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

All together now - Had to seek pro help AND it's still not quite right - but I drove it around the neighborhood today. The air is out of the system after correctly routing the hoses.

May go lower with the stance, but I'm liking the 14" wheels on there.
So what's the problem?

It's leaking BRAKE fluid.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad - after driving around it's pretty clear that the cylinders are leaking. The hoses and bleeders are dry. Can't see the cylinders with everything all bolted together so I'm not sure where it's coming from. Worse on on side. Can't work on it anymore for a while...

Only after I messed with this a couple of times did I read/realize that my DIY zeal did not help me remember/recognize that those pretty NOS Cylinder should have been re-conditioned/properly prepared BEFORE installation.

Now, I will likely have to pull it all apart OR pay someone else to pull it apart and find and address the leaks.

Last edited by dc on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I would lower it 1-2 inner splines in front! Maybe 1 in back? It's a truck but it should look/handle more like a sports car. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

YES! Lower would be cool - I'm heading in that direction.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Ouch. Yes, NOS cylinders look nice, but if more than 4-5 years old they need to be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with all new rubber before they can be used.

I might have missed this, but what was the reason for converting to early brakes? Just curious.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Why wide five? I think it looks better - don’t care for four lug on early cars. Also had my eye on more options with 14” tires and wheels. Wanted to see how bus rims would work. Disc brakes are better and safer but that as not the deciding factor.

I will be patient- always a goal- and order some 22mm rebuild kits. I learned how to do this, which was good practice. I can do it again in a few days! I believe isp West has the kits...
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Btw - went on another short drive around the neighborhood- no leaking. Or much less🤔
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

You could contact Jim Adney, as he's rebuilt some early wheel cylinders for Pedro. He might have some parts, or part numbers, or a place where you can get them. I don't know if Pedro supplied them, as I never asked either of them that question. I do know Jim had asked the list about them back when he was doing them for Pedro's early T-34 Ghia.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 84

Jump to: